Armando: Possible DC Replacements | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Possible DC Replacements

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Kevin Coyle is apparently still the defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins this morning but we don't know if that is only a temporary stay before he's fired or if Coyle is in fact safe for 2015.

Why don't we know?

Only Joe Philbin knows and he has not been ringing my celly with the answer.

(True story: Philbin does not call any media member. He also doesn't return emails. He once explained to me that his job and family take up practically all his professional and personal time, so he doesn't have time to form a relationship with a member of the media outside his normal and customary press conferences. Hey, I can respect that approach, although I think it unwise. The coach is free to set priorities as he wishes. But, I would counter an ally in the independent media never hurt anyone and Philbin has none.)

Anyway, I digress.

If Coyle is indeed safe then I have completely wasted hours of work on the exercise we're about to embark. But my instinct tells me Coyle is not safe. So here goes:
Candidate Current job Experience

Eric Mangini SF TE coach Former N.E. DC, former Cleveland and NYJ head coach.

Ed Donatell SF assistant Former Atlanta, G.B. DC. 22 years NFL experience.

Jim Leavitt SF assistant Former S. Florida HC, former DC at Kansas State (No. 1 D in nation).

Mike Trgovac GB assistant Former Carolina DC (2003-2008), NFL Top 10 in pts. allowed 3 of 6 yrs.

Winston Moss GB asst HC Miamian, 16 seasons NFL assistant.

Steve Spanuolo Balt. asst. Former DC NYG (2007-08), Saints DC (2012), Former HC Rams (2009-11).

Gary Gibbs KC asst. Former N.O. DC (2006-08), former Oklahoma DC.

Emmitt Thomas KC asst. Former DC in Philadelphia, G.B., Minnesota.

*Jim Schwartz Buff. DC Former HC Lions (2009-13), former DC Tennessee (2001-08).

Gunther Cunningham Sr. coach asst. Former HC KC, former DC KC twice, former DC Lions, former DC Raiders.

Mike Smith Unemployed Former HC Atlanta (2008-14), former DC Jacksonville (2003-07), former Baltimore defensive assistant (1999-2002).

Mike Nolan Status unknown Former HC San Fran. (2005-08), DC NYG (1993-96), DC Wash. (1997-99), DC NYJ (2000), DC Baltimore (2002-04), DC Miami (2010-11), DC Atlanta (2012-14).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-dont-know-if-that-is-only.html#storylink=cpy

be careful what you wish for. We may get a DC in here that's worse than Coyle (who I don't think is that bad).

Coyle is not getting fired. Rock solid support from Joe. So obvious. However, Joe being Joe will never announce it. Coyle will just appear.

Mike Nolan is not gonna come back to dolphins to work for Failbin, hell not sure we want him back the way atlanta's defense played

mangini is not coming here. A few of those guys might be possible

I don't know why people want Nolan anyways. Yeah it was an improvement his first year here, but it's WAY too reliant on one dominant pass rusher, and it's vulnerable deep down the middle. Solid DC don't get me wrong, but I feel people romanticize his D a little too much.

Honestly just promote either Duffner or Rodgers if need be.

I will be on board with firing Coyle if it was him who suggested we cut two starting LB and sign the two bums we got now to big money, If it was his idea to let go 3 good cb to bring in one all pro and a bunch of rooks and guys coming off injury, if he was the mastermind behind going small up front instead of bringing in some beef to replace Soliai.....I do not blame a coach because he can't take chicken **** in turn it into chicken salad....this defense played well the first half of the season then injuries took its toll, teams figured out our weakness and exploited it.....be careful what you wish for when we are very close to taking that next step which is the playoffs...

I don't know why people want Nolan anyways. Yeah it was an improvement his first year here, but it's WAY too reliant on one dominant pass rusher, and it's vulnerable deep down the middle. Solid DC don't get me wrong, but I feel people romanticize his D a little too much.

Honestly just promote either Duffner or Rodgers if need be.

Or just keep coyle

Butch Davis should be added to his list. Great football coach.

Coyle is not getting fired. Rock solid support from Joe. So obvious. However, Joe being Joe will never announce it. Coyle will just appear.

I understand and respect your frustration, but your pessimistic response to everything related to the coaching staff is depressing. What is your opinion on a possible replacement for Coyle, whether he is retained or not?

I understand and respect your frustration, but your pessimistic response to everything related to the coaching staff is depressing. What is your opinion on a possible replacement for Coyle, whether he is retained or not?

I was not being sarcastic. This how I think it will go down. I think Joe backs Coyle and I do not think he will make any type of announcement or answer questions to his rationale until the combine in Indy. It has how he operates.

BTW, I like Bill Lazor and John Benton. I think Kacy Rodgers has done excellent work in his time in Miami. Plus, Mark Duffner is a quality coach. Dan Campbell as TE coach could be the best kept secret on the staff.

What is funny though is all those coaches were never Joe's original picks. They are either holdovers or forced upon him last year. Kind of telling.

Back
Top Bottom