Armando: Possible DC Replacements | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Possible DC Replacements

Didn't Butch Davis have a rough stint with Cleveland? But who doesn't have a rough stint in Cleveland? Even Belicheck looked human there. I don't know what he has been doing since then.

Didn't Butch Davis have a rough stint with Cleveland? But who doesn't have a rough stint in Cleveland? Even Belicheck looked human there. I don't know what he has been doing since then.

People forget it was basically an expansion team and he got them to the playoffs.

I think the man very smart, has a lot to prove and has a swagger that could help this staff. I do not think it would ever happen, but it would be a great hire.

Schwartz, Davis and Levitt from the outside would be all great hires. I think Kacy Rodgers would be a great promotion. His guys love him.

BTW, I like Bill Lazor and John Benton. I think Kacy Rodgers has done excellent work in his time in Miami. Plus, Mark Duffner is a quality coach. Dan Campbell as TE coach could be the best kept secret on the staff.

What is funny though is all those coaches were never Joe's original picks. They are either holdovers or forced upon him last year. Kind of telling.
You do realize that when a guy is hired as a head coach he has to scramble to fill his staff? As a result, that might be after most other teams have already scavenged those available?

Therefore, the first staff he hires may not be the his ideal choices to fill those positions. Lazor and Benton are examples of what you get when your HC has the time and the opportunity to be a first round scavenger. They are probably much closer to ideal than the ones he had to choose from his first year. While it's true that Philbin hired Sherman and Co., we can't know for certain that they were his ideal choices.

Coyle may not have been an ideal choice for Philbin, so we can't assume that he will be that loyal to Coyle, or that Coyle is the kind of DC Philbin wanted to begin with.

Coyle is not getting fired. Rock solid support from Joe. So obvious. However, Joe being Joe will never announce it. Coyle will just appear.

God, I hope you're wrong but you're probably right.

Amongst that list I'd like Mangini, Nolan again or Mike Smith for sure. I wouldn't mind Spags or Schwartz either.

Id like to see a change at DC. But ....this upcoming season is on Hickey . Is much rather see some moves at wr (Wallace is here one more year Max at this rate ) and we should start addressing this before we leave tannehill with the weapons he had his rookie year. We also need moves at lb corner guard ... I'm more worried about the personel we have out there than our DC honestly. But .... If we could make a change and spice it up , get the players tuned in to a new face again.... Great.

Tell me about Butch Davis. They are clamoring for him over on the Hurricane forum and I know he coached the Canes for a period of time. Other than that and the gig at UNC, who is this guy and what does he bring to the table.

Coached under Jimmy Johnson at the U where they won a national title and then followed Jimmy to Dallas. Was named UM coach after Erickson leave for Seattle.
Miami was hit with sanctions about the same time and Butch battled through that to build one of the top college team ever.
His players won a national title for Coker after he left for the NFL and many became NFL stars. Went to Cleveland for a few years (not so good) and then NC. . Great defensive coach.

No Brainer , would LOVE Butch Davis for DC. He coaches that run through a wall mentality. I wanted him for HC but JimmY Johnson picked his other assistant Dave Wannstedt who had a winning record with the Fins , not sure I think at that time Davis was HC of the Canes , anyway you can't go wrong with Butch! Players RESPECT him and played their tails off for him and he is a good elevator of defensive talent and just a great defensive mind.

You do realize that when a guy is hired as a head coach he has to scramble to fill his staff? As a result, that might be after most other teams have already scavenged those available?

Therefore, the first staff he hires may not be the his ideal choices to fill those positions. Lazor and Benton are examples of what you get when your HC has the time and the opportunity to be a first round scavenger. They are probably much closer to ideal than the ones he had to choose from his first year. While it's true that Philbin hired Sherman and Co., we can't know for certain that they were his ideal choices.

Coyle may not have been an ideal choice for Philbin, so we can't assume that he will be that loyal to Coyle, or that Coyle is the kind of DC Philbin wanted to begin with.

there were just as many options. Hell Lazor was not his first option at OC last year

BTW, I like Bill Lazor and John Benton. I think Kacy Rodgers has done excellent work in his time in Miami. Plus, Mark Duffner is a quality coach. Dan Campbell as TE coach could be the best kept secret on the staff.

What is funny though is all those coaches were never Joe's original picks. They are either holdovers or forced upon him last year. Kind of telling.
How do you know that Joe didn't make any of the named appointments? I'm pretty sure that I read that Lazor was set to go to Detroit and Joe worked big time to persuade him to come to Miami.

I wasn't considering Butch Davis, but the more I read, the more I like the idea. I only know him from Cleveland and a little from UNC, and I really like a coach That players love to play for.
After him I like Phillips and Schwarts and of curse Rex.
Personally I think Coyle stays, and hate the idea

Of that list Mangini is the standout to me but I hadn’t considered Philbins' potential insecurities and how they might factor into a DC decision. Levitt is my next choice. Then there’s Cunningham. A dark horse obviously. In his prime he was a helluva DC. Can he return to that former glory? IDK. I’m not saying he’s my pick but it’d be interesting and with his track record as a HC, he’d be no threat to Philbin.

How do you know that Joe didn't make any of the named appointments? I'm pretty sure that I read that Lazor was set to go to Detroit and Joe worked big time to persuade him to come to Miami.

You and I both know if Joe had his way Mike Sherman would have been his OC. Stop making out that Lazor was somehow his guy from the start. He was forced to let go of his mentor.

Coached under Jimmy Johnson at the U where they won a national title and then followed Jimmy to Dallas. Was named UM coach after Erickson leave for Seattle.
Miami was hit with sanctions about the same time and Butch battled through that to build one of the top college team ever.
His players won a national title for Coker after he left for the NFL and many became NFL stars. Went to Cleveland for a few years (not so good) and then NC. . Great defensive coach.

Thanks Bro! Appreciate the bio. I guess we could always dream. Hell, we should be experts at dreaming.

Back
Top Bottom