Armando Salguero wonders why Dolphins fans hate him. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero wonders why Dolphins fans hate him.

I'm sick of how some of you get when a journalist isn't RAH RAH for the Dolphins. As long as the journalist is objective, backs up their findings/statistics, etc...it's fine with me. Armando isn't even writing a column here, this is how he interpreted the press conference. He isn't spinning it either way because of how he feels about the Dolphins, he's just doing his job.

I'd actually like a journalist (not saying Salguero is one of these types), that was more objective than they are "homer". This way, they tell it like it is. Everyone was up in arms about some of the writers that were telling it like it is when Wanny was running things. Apparently things turned out in the end. Now they are upset about Nick Saban shielding them from DOING THEIR JOB when it comes to gathering information. In a highly-stressful occupation that they have, you can't blame them for having saban on a tight leash.

I'm not a fan of the Herald by any means, I prefer the Sun-Sentinel and PBP over them (in no particular order), but I just can't stand when there's criticism that isn't warranted IMO. In this situation, it really isn't.

TerryTate said:
I'm not a fan of the Herald by any means, I prefer the Sun-Sentinel and PBP over them (in no particular order), but I just can't stand when there's criticism that isn't warranted IMO. In this situation, it really isn't.

I'm not blanket covering them. I dig Jason Cole. Just the 2 that get on my nerves are LeBatard and Salguero. NYC's right to. The writer doesn't come up with the actual headline in most places.

This seems to be the practice of a few South Florida Journalists. They always want to spin anything said or done into a negative light. I've started reading everything with a grain of salt.

VanDolPhan said:
Yup definately no closet about it. He was the one caught lying about high fiving a fins loss in a bar with other miami journalists. Just do a google search and the word "lie" and I'm sure you'll dig up the old history.

high_five-1.gif

I'll let you guys in on something: sportswriters are not there to be "homers" for the team and just point out the positives. They are there to try and report stories and if they can "scoop" some others or bring a little controversy up they will. Most Dolphin beat writers are not going to cheer everything the team does. BUT this guy did take DC's comments out of context and he is spinning the story they way he wants to.

TerryTate said:
I'm sick of how some of you get when a journalist isn't RAH RAH for the Dolphins. As long as the journalist is objective, backs up their findings/statistics, etc...it's fine with me. Armando isn't even writing a column here, this is how he interpreted the press conference. He isn't spinning it either way because of how he feels about the Dolphins, he's just doing his job.

I'd actually like a journalist (not saying Salguero is one of these types), that was more objective than they are "homer". This way, they tell it like it is. Everyone was up in arms about some of the writers that were telling it like it is when Wanny was running things. Apparently things turned out in the end. Now they are upset about Nick Saban shielding them from DOING THEIR JOB when it comes to gathering information. In a highly-stressful occupation that they have, you can't blame them for having saban on a tight leash.

Go back to post #6 in this thread TT.

I don't think you understand me. No one said they want homers for writers.

This is one of those few topics that I find galling.

There is a significant difference between remaining neutral and thus theoretically unbiased and being cynical. Unfortunately some journalists believe their cynicism will be regarded as understanding. In most cases though, it is only an unpleasant and obnoxious substitute for the truth.

I find the majority of the individuals in South Florida entrusted to provide Dolphin commentary (talk radio and newspaper) to be unnecessarily negative in their regard for the organization. Consequently, I lack confidence in most of the work they produce.

Furthermore, what I genuinely loathe are the few beat writers who seem to find and enjoy each opportunity to criticize the team during times of difficulty.

Fortunately the Dolphins have become more careful in their communication with the public. In providing the video of each press conference, the public is allowed to see and hear the information straight from the source. This denies the opportunity for those who would misquote, connive and manipulate.

On the other hand, I find great pleasure in reading these very same individuals whine and complain about the teams new media policies.

Im usually the first to defend journalists that criticize the Dolphins, because I believe their job - first and foremost - is to report the facts objectively. Having said that, Armando and the Herald are notoriuously negative. i dont know who is responsible for the tone of the articles (Armando or the Herald Editors), but either way it stinks. This particular article only begins to tell the whole story.

This is why my local paper gets articles on the Fins and such from the Sun-Sentinel.

(they don't have much of a sports staff) :tongue:

TerryTate said:

I disagree with you on this one. Having watched both conferences, the earlier ESPN one and now this, I believe the writer took an unwarranted negative spin to Culpepper's comments. The distinctions between Salguero's article and the ones in the PBP and Florida Today are striking. Even taking into account the later addition of headlines by an editor I have trouble looking at Culpepper's words and body language and coming up with the Miami Herald story.

When I read the accounts overnight after having watched the conference earlier I wondered if there was more than the internet portion. Seeing this thread made me realize others felt the same way. The comments about cynicism by another poster seemclose to the point.

We will likely agree to disagree about this one but frankly I was very disappointed in Salguero's work today.

Its classic in todays journalism. The title doesnt match the article. Too many writers in south florida who dont give a damn about the dolphins. that is for sure.

Roman529 said:
I'll let you guys in on something: sportswriters are not there to be "homers" for the team and just point out the positives. They are there to try and report stories and if they can "scoop" some others or bring a little controversy up they will. Most Dolphin beat writers are not going to cheer everything the team does. BUT this guy did take DC's comments out of context and he is spinning the story they way he wants to.

yeah well sportswriters here in rochester and buffalo back teh bills all the way even though they still try to see the truth. South Florida is full of reporters who hate the fins but like living there. That is the problem. Miami and Lauderdale and Boca are hot spots to live.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Dude, there's no "closet" about it.

He's horrible. I wish he would just move to Denver and go write for the damn donkeys that he loves.

I swear, Miami has THE MOST NEGATIVE sports writers EVER.

I'm not asking for everything to be sugar coated. No one wants that. But when you write a non-news worthy, feature type story (Greg Stoda does this ALL the time) and make it negative and degrading, it's a joke.

When you take comments and distort them JUST so you can have a negative headline, that's a joke. (SULGUERO!!)

Can we please get some Miami natives or some unbiased Dolphins beat writers please!!???

It seems like Alex Marvez and Andy Cohen are the only ones.

I live up here in Liberal NY any bad writing is part of the culture here! I see this as a problem in big cities where each writer needs to hit the masses and none will put themselves on the line to take a stand. Politics or sports they all wanna be right so they stay vague and then align themselves on the winning team. We must remember who is a real Fin fan!

Back
Top Bottom