Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players

Can you honestly say he will be on the team for four years with his injury history and potential retirement due to continuing concussions? If so, then he can be added to the list. I could not convince myself that he would, so I had to remove him from core.
You can't make a post that degrades tua in the slightest, or you get the responses you got here.

I have seen threads about the salary cap, about individual players, and about building the team. All of you are putting the cart before the horse. It is important to identify your core players you build around before making those decisions. First, let me identify some terms:

• Core Player - high quality player that outperforms peers and makes others better and is expected to retain this level of play for 4 years.
  • Near Core Player - A core level player not expected to retain that level of play for 4 years
  • Above Average Starter - A starting caliber player that performs above the average.
Offense
Core: Hill, Waddle, Williams
Near Core: Armstead, Tua
Above Average: Hunt, Ingold

Defense
Core: Wilkins, Seiler, Phillips, Chubb, Holland
Near Core: X
Above Average:

Once these are set, then discussions about the best moves have context.
Chubb is getting paid like one but he did not play like one.

Tua is definitely a core player but, with his contract coming up, Miami has potentially a tough decision. If he plays close to every game I think the Dolphins are right there with Cincinnati and at least competitive with Kansas City and Buffalo.

But if he misses significant time in 2023, do you pay him the $40-50 million contract per year for a top 5-10 quarterback?

You can't make a post that degrades tua in the slightest, or you get the responses you got here.
If Tua isn’t going to be around in 4 years, we wasted the prime years of literally everyone on this core list. That is the reality of the state of our franchise.

I mean you zero disrespect, but too many trolls and salty people post negative stuff about Tua in every thread, all day long. It gets old hearing people complain about things that aren’t going to change. To clarify, I’m not referring to you specifically. I simply have little sympathy for people who post the same stuff in every thread and there are dozens of them.

If Tua isn’t going to be around in 4 years, we wasted the prime years of literally everyone on this core list. That is the reality of the state of our franchise.

I mean you zero disrespect, but too many trolls and salty people post negative stuff about Tua in every thread, all day long. It gets old hearing people complain about things that aren’t going to change. To clarify, I’m not referring to you specifically. I simply have little sympathy for people who post the same stuff in every thread and there are dozens of them.
No disrespect taken and I hear you. All I'm saying is even the slightest thing said about tua, that isn't positive, is met with aggression on here.

Can you honestly say he will be on the team for four years with his injury history and potential retirement due to continuing concussions? If so, then he can be added to the list. I could not convince myself that he would, so I had to remove him from core.
There isn’t a single player on this team that anyone can honestly say will be here in four years.

The closest you could guess are waddle and Phillips, if their fifth year options are picked up. By your definition Phillips can’t be on that list because he retired from college football at one point due to constant injuries, including a concussion.

If that is your definition of core, then both lists are empty.

We have one of the best young cores in the league:
Tua
Hill
Waddle
Armstead
Williams
Hunt
Wilkins
Seiler
Raekwon
Phillips
Chubb
Howard
Kader
Holland
Jones

Every single one of these players can play to a pro bowl level. Most of these guys aren’t even 25 yet.

I don't agree with it but I do understand I am in the minority on this one. He gets lost on the field so many times, literally doing nothing.

I know he's not horrible but he's not a must re-sign for me.

This team struggles way too much at short yardage to actually possess interior OL talent. Hunt is one of the players I watch the closest given our investment.
I know what you mean about Hunt. I watch him all the time also. He has one of the highest do-nothing percentages on the team. It stems from being fooled on pass protection. Hunt is not a chaser like Jackson. When Hunt is totally fooled he just stands there looking around. Consequently it doesn't look as bad as deserved. Jackson chases after the man he should have blocked, once he figures it out. I always wonder why PFF doesn't punish Hunt more for those do-nothing plays. He grades higher than my guess all the time. But I'm not watching all the other guards around the league. Maybe the overall caliber is subpar.

Your list is valid, except I agree with Danny that Chub isn’t Core yet. He’s close. Hopefully he is more comfortable and makes that step next season.

Tua is the mystery and would naturally lead the CORE group if/when healthy. . It’s complex. If he plays 15 regular season games plus all playoff matches next season and misses time or out 3 games then I’m ok giving him a great new contract.

If he can’t play 15+ playoffs, then I cry, but draft/find a new QB in the 2023

We have one of the best young cores in the league:
Tua
Hill
Waddle
Armstead
Williams
Hunt
Wilkins
Seiler
Raekwon
Phillips
Chubb
Howard
Kader
Holland
Jones

Every single one of these players can play to a pro bowl level. Most of these guys aren’t even 25 yet.
I like it. If Davis and Kader make the list Roberts has to make the list. He has improved so much in two seasons. 10 TFL, 4.5 sacks with little opportunities on a team that can’t cover, and over 100 tackles while barely playing 50% of the snaps. He’s almost a top 100 rated ILB on pro football reference ahead of Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edwards in about the same amount of starts. He’s pretty efficient.

I like it. If Davis and Kader make the list Roberts has to make the list. He has improved so much in two seasons. 10 TFL, 4.5 sacks with little opportunities on a team that can’t cover, and over 100 tackles while barely playing 50% of the snaps. He’s almost a top 100 rated ILB on pro football reference ahead of Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edwards in about the same amount of starts. He’s pretty efficient.

I agree Roberts has made a name for himself this year

Back
Top Bottom