Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players

I wouldn’t include any player I don’t believe will get a second contract. At the moment I’d bet against Tua being here. I hope next year Tua plays 17 games at a high level but I don’t see it.
So you just watched the 2022 season, correct? You saw a team that could barely scrape a win without Tua, right? You saw a team with a high-level offensive output with Tua, correct?

And that player isn’t a ”core” player because you make some assumption that he won’t get a second contract? Based upon the random chances of sustaining a concussion?

Anyway, I’m not a blind Tua supporter. But I did watch football this season.

So you just watched the 2022 season, correct? You saw a team that could barely scrape a win without Tua, right? You saw a team with a high-level offensive output with Tua, correct?

And that player isn’t a ”core” player because you make some assumption that he won’t get a second contract? Based upon the random chances of sustaining a concussion?

Anyway, I’m not a blind Tua supporter. But I did watch football this season.
Based on the odds of Tua being here in two years I’d say he’s not. My opinion isn’t isolated. It’s the common opinion.

My core players on Defense... Wilkins, Holland, Phillips, and Chubb. All four should be plus starters for at least 3 more years, and that's what a 'core player' should be-- a guy who's gonna be there for years to come.

My core players on Offense will be more controversial... Tua, Hill, Waddle, Williams, Hunt, Jackson, and Armstead. Yes, I think our line is in for a few years, and Yes, i think Tua is gonna stick around.

Obviously, the injury risk on the Offense is MUCH higher, but i think they project well.

Last edited:
My core players on Defense... Wilkins, Holland, Phillips, and Chubb. All four should be plus starters for at least 3 more years, and that's what a 'core player' should be-- a guy who's gonna be there for years to come.

My core players on Offense will be more controversial... Tua, Hill, Waddle, Williams, Hunt, Jackson, and Armstead. Yes, I think our line is in for a few years, and Yes, i think Tua is gonna stick around.

Obviously, the injury risk on the Offense is MUCH higher, but i think they project well.
I think Seiler is starting to make a case he can be a core member of a staring defensive line

I think Seiler is starting to make a case he can be a core member of a staring defensive line
I think he can be, but I think he'll be a cap casualty.
He's played his way into starter money and I think someone will offer him more money than we can.
He's not much of a pass-rush threat, but I still think he might find himself in the 10m/year range anyway.
He's the kind of player-- good, but not great, that smart cap teams allow to walk.
I like to keep him, but I think a second DT falls into the 'only if he's cheap' category-- and I dont think he will be.

Are these based on this year performance? Or potential?
It is based upon what the player has proven during the last 4 years. It is definitely not speculative like potential is speculative. This is one of the reasons it is ludicrous to include Kader as some have. For instance, next year Hunt might prove he is a core player, but he has not proven it yet.

Based on both your representation and the OP's, if Hunt & Tua aren't core, they are near core, so what's the problem?

Clearly there should be room in the near core category for a lot of our players; if they do not pan out in 4 years.

Time will tell, not the fans opinions.

And again, "Ray Is Right". - LOL
I mentioned my reason for not including Tua - I cannot convince myself that he will definitely play all 4 of the qualifying seasons per my definition of core. I really wanted to include him, but it would be intellectually dishonest to set the definition and then ignore it. As for Hunt, I remember him struggling early in the season to keep his head on a swivel which led to stunt pickup issues. He has a good win rate, but I would like to see another good season before promoting him to a core player.

I wouldn’t include any player I don’t believe will get a second contract. At the moment I’d bet against Tua being here. I hope next year Tua plays 17 games at a high level but I don’t see it.

How would you feel about RT17 as a backup for a year, should Tennessee move on? If he were willing to take a lot less money than he’d get as a bridge QB in Houston, Atlanta or Indy.

Granted we wouldn’t be able to call him RT17 anymore.

I think Ryan’s a smart dude, in fact I know he’s a smart dude. While I certainly want to see Tua play 17 games, I’d feel pretty good if RT had to play 4 or 5.

He doesn’t need money.

How would you feel about RT17 as a backup for a year, should Tennessee move on? If he were willing to take a lot less money than he’d get as a bridge QB in Houston, Atlanta or Indy.

Granted we wouldn’t be able to call him RT17 anymore.

I think Ryan’s a smart dude, in fact I know he’s a smart dude. While I certainly want to see Tua play 17 games, I’d feel pretty good if RT had to play 4 or 5.

He doesn’t need money.
for McDaniels offense I like Minshew. I don’t know if it’s still true but I’ve always heard Tannehill would retire before being a back up. He wants to go back to school.

I think he can be, but I think he'll be a cap casualty.
He's played his way into starter money and I think someone will offer him more money than we can.
He's not much of a pass-rush threat, but I still think he might find himself in the 10m/year range anyway.
He's the kind of player-- good, but not great, that smart cap teams allow to walk.
I like to keep him, but I think a second DT falls into the 'only if he's cheap' category-- and I dont think he will be.
10m would put him @12-16 ($/year) for current DT contracts. You may be right, but I could make a case that it is very fair price, given the alternative of replacing the position. I doubt any FA of equal play quality we would be able to bring in would not cost substantially less, and even then, you are most likely looking at a player on the downside of his career, rather than ascending as is Seiler.

I'm sure you have already looked, but for others who may be curious. below is a link to this year's DT FA list. If one looks at their age, and snap counts, few, if any, are going to fill the void of snaps Seiler takes. Zach played 877 defensive snaps (77%), and another 186 ST snaps.

Sadly, you may be right in the end Fever. I just think it might be a case of penny wise, and dollar foolish.

You state that like it's so easy to move on and find a qb. Franchise been trying for a lonnnnng time.
I’d rather be looking for a QB than commit 300 million to a player that averages 10 starts per year.

Back
Top Bottom