Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players

Not including Tua as a core player is just silly at this point. Ignoring reality.
I wouldn’t include any player I don’t believe will get a second contract. At the moment I’d bet against Tua being here. I hope next year Tua plays 17 games at a high level but I don’t see it.

Tua is definitely a core player but, with his contract coming up, Miami has potentially a tough decision. If he plays close to every game I think the Dolphins are right there with Cincinnati and at least competitive with Kansas City and Buffalo.

But if he misses significant time in 2023, do you pay him the $40-50 million contract per year for a top 5-10 quarterback?
Absolutely not. I’d try an incentive laden contract and if the Tua camp balks I’d move on.

I have seen threads about the salary cap, about individual players, and about building the team. All of you are putting the cart before the horse. It is important to identify your core players you build around before making those decisions. First, let me identify some terms:

• Core Player - high quality player that outperforms peers and makes others better and is expected to retain this level of play for 4 years.
  • Near Core Player - A core level player not expected to retain that level of play for 4 years
  • Above Average Starter - A starting caliber player that performs above the average.
Offense
Core: Hill, Waddle, Williams
Near Core: Armstead, Tua
Above Average: Hunt, Ingold

Defense
Core: Wilkins, Seiler, Phillips, Chubb, Holland
Near Core: X
Above Average:

Once these are set, then discussions about the best moves have context.
Are these based on this year performance? Or potential?

I’m not sure I agree with the core player philosophy.

There are few “untradable” people in NFL, which are players you don’t pick up the phone for.

Everyone else is tradable and you look to upgrade talent at any position with respect to contract price where you can.

I know what you mean about Hunt. I watch him all the time also. He has one of the highest do-nothing percentages on the team. It stems from being fooled on pass protection. Hunt is not a chaser like Jackson. When Hunt is totally fooled he just stands there looking around. Consequently it doesn't look as bad as deserved. Jackson chases after the man he should have blocked, once he figures it out. I always wonder why PFF doesn't punish Hunt more for those do-nothing plays. He grades higher than my guess all the time. But I'm not watching all the other guards around the league. Maybe the overall caliber is subpar.
You can’t hide mr hunt, we’re on to you lol

Your list is valid, except I agree with Danny that Chub isn’t Core yet. He’s close. Hopefully he is more comfortable and makes that step next season.

Tua is the mystery and would naturally lead the CORE group if/when healthy. . It’s complex. If he plays 15 regular season games plus all playoff matches next season and misses time or out 3 games then I’m ok giving him a great new contract.

If he can’t play 15+ playoffs, then I cry, but draft/find a new QB in the 2023

Based on both your representation and the OP's, if Hunt & Tua aren't core, they are near core, so what's the problem?

Clearly there should be room in the near core category for a lot of our players; if they do not pan out in 4 years.

Time will tell, not the fans opinions.

And again, "Ray Is Right". - LOL

I’m not sure I agree with the core player philosophy.

There are few “untradable” people in NFL, which are players you don’t pick up the phone for.

Everyone else is tradable and you look to upgrade talent at any position with respect to contract price where you can.

Trading wasn't a consideration, except for the "being here for the next four years" reference.

See how that works? - LOL

If you hire a new GM the first step of any good new hire would be a complete tear down and gut.

Staff
Coaches
Players

So if Miami hires a new GM, it's because we are rebuild the entire organization.

Excellent Sarcasm. - LOL
None are so blind as those who will not see. - LOL

Back
Top Bottom