Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armchair GM - 1st Step - Identify Core Players

10m would put him @12-16 ($/year) for current DT contracts. You may be right, but I could make a case that it is very fair price, given the alternative of replacing the position. I doubt any FA of equal play quality we would be able to bring in would not cost substantially less, and even then, you are most likely looking at a player on the downside of his career, rather than ascending as is Seiler.

I'm sure you have already looked, but for others who may be curious. below is a link to this year's DT FA list. If one looks at their age, and snap counts, few, if any, are going to fill the void of snaps Seiler takes. Zach played 877 defensive snaps (77%), and another 186 ST snaps.

Sadly, you may be right in the end Fever. I just think it might be a case of penny wise, and dollar foolish.

Sportrac has a value of 9.9m on him. One more year like this year, and that only goes up.
We could try to extend him now, but he and his agent have got to know the market-- especially since he's so underpaid right now.

I think he can be, but I think he'll be a cap casualty.
He's played his way into starter money and I think someone will offer him more money than we can.
He's not much of a pass-rush threat, but I still think he might find himself in the 10m/year range anyway.
He's the kind of player-- good, but not great, that smart cap teams allow to walk.
I like to keep him, but I think a second DT falls into the 'only if he's cheap' category-- and I dont think he will be.

We must be a good team if we are likely to lose good players due to cap restrictions.
This was not a problem when we were playing poorly.

Well since Tua has been hurt every year he’s played I’d put odds of him being injured again next year near 80%. So If that does indeed happen the odds of Tua getting a long term deal in Miami are ZERO. Only a fanboy would think otherwise.

You are not a Fanboy, because Fanboys can and do think.
"Lemmings" on the other hand - well you get the picture. - LOL

It is based upon what the player has proven during the last 4 years. It is definitely not speculative like potential is speculative. This is one of the reasons it is ludicrous to include Kader as some have. For instance, next year Hunt might prove he is a core player, but he has not proven it yet.
Fair enough.
Where would you characterize placing a newer player showing some on field skill?

How would you feel about RT17 as a backup for a year, should Tennessee move on? If he were willing to take a lot less money than he’d get as a bridge QB in Houston, Atlanta or Indy.

Granted we wouldn’t be able to call him RT17 anymore.

I think Ryan’s a smart dude, in fact I know he’s a smart dude. While I certainly want to see Tua play 17 games, I’d feel pretty good if RT had to play 4 or 5.

He doesn’t need money.

I like everything except the part where he "doesn't" need money.
Your post would have been excellent if you had just left that line out.

I like everything except the part where he "doesn't" need money.
Your post would have been excellent if you had just left that line out.

Minshew was shaky this year, which is still a lot better than whatever Bridgewater was this year. GM had a decent game in a loss to Dallas but struggled in the Saints loss the following week. Saints D is pretty talented though.

As far as Tannehill goes, maybe that’s true about him retiring and going back to school. That’s an impressive thing to do as you’d expect we’ll one day be calling him DRT17.

In the context of sacrificing $3-4M extra bucks to go to a better situation.

Given how quickly QBs hit the field now a bridge QB shouldn’t even be a consideration anymore. Just wasted potential roll over cap space.

The guys gotta be pushing $200 Million in career earnings.

I think Seiler is starting to make a case he can be a core member of a staring defensive line
I think Sieler is in the top 4 players on Defense that we have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom