Armstead restructures creates 11.8 space | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armstead restructures creates 11.8 space

True, but you can ascertain what the most likely outcome is in someone based on past examples. He started 13 games for us this year. I think he only finished 10 of them.
I understand the other aspects he brings but we, nor anyone else, should be paying that kind of money for half year availability...

It’s ok though because some fans think cutting him after 2024 and only paying him $13M is standard operating procedure across the league. /s

Titles by the Rams and Bucs have tricked people into thinking the “all-in” philosophy is the way to best secure one title. That’s nonsense.

Rams had been to a Super Bowl already in recent years and the Bucs only went all-in after they won their title. Neither situation ended well.

What were doing is more following the model of the Bills and Eagles. The Eagles with a staggering $54M in dead money this year (and more lined up for the future) can barely afford to sign their slated rookies. And haven’t even signed Hurts. Eagles are about to lose a significant portion of their roster as a result.

Bills similarly are going to lose good players this year (not that they had that many anyway).

Last edited:
It’s ok though because some fans think cutting him after 2024 and only paying him $13M is standard operating procedure across the league. /s

Titles by the Rams and Bucs have tricked people into thinking the “all-in” philosophy is the way to best secure one title. That’s nonsense.

Rams had been to a Super Bowl already in recent years and the Bucs only went all-in after they won their title. Neither situation ended well.

What were doing is more following the model of the Bills and Eagles. The Eagles with a staggering $54M in dead money this year (and more lined up for the future) can barely afford to sign their slated rookies. And haven’t even signed Hurts. Eagles are about to lose a significant portion of their roster as a result.
I mean, there are many different ways to win. The other thing fans think is we can only win the way that a certain team has been winning. Example now is Bills, Chiefs. For the longest everyone thought we had to do exactly what the Patriots were doing. That's all a bunch of bullshit. The first step though is not signing injury prone players that have never finished a season. I mean, we all saw how the season turned out. He would have been monstramental in protecting Teddy and Skyler but when Tua was out, so was he. It's not a recipe for success. Everyone gets injured or has a high chance of getting injured. I just don't see how some here use that to argue signing players that are injured more often than not.

Maybe. But that’s how the game is played. We didn’t really pay Tyreek or Terron Armstead or Connor Williams last year. We’ll be paying them next year and the year after. But when we’re paying them, we’ll be backloading Tua’s and Waddle’s and Jaelen Phillips’s contracts so we’re not paying those guys in 2024, 2025, 2026–we’re paying them in 2027 on. And at that point, we’ll hopefully have a whole new class of major contributors who we’re not really paying in 2026, 2027, 2028 but who we’ll be paying in 2029, 2030, etc.

It’s a never-ending shell game until you decide it’s time to rebuild. The only way that rebuild gets forced upon you before you’re ready for it is if you stupidly have a lot of $10M-plus dead cap hits for guys who aren’t on your team anymore. That’s less about overspending and restructuring and more about making bad decisions on who to pay. For example, Byron Jones hurts a lot more than Ogbah because Byron is sunk cost while Ogbah we can ride out for another year or two of productivity while spreading his cap hits.

That was always what I was looking at as well.

By time these restructures become an issue, big contracts are also coming off Ogbah, Armstead, Howard etc

At some point your draft picks gave to hit.

But looking down the road, nothing Grier has done, cap wise,won't be canceled out by expiring contracts or increase in cap.

These contracts are smartly structured that way.

It's not like Miami got 8 high priced FAS all at the same time and gave them all same length contracts. There was an art to the 3 year deals.

When it's time For Waddle, Phillips Tua etc. We won't really be worrying about Howard, Ogbah Armstead etc.

True, but you can ascertain what the most likely outcome is in someone based on past examples. He started 13 games for us this year. I think he only finished 10 of them.
I understand the other aspects he brings but we, nor anyone else, should be paying that kind of money for half year availability...
O.K.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom