Armstead restructures creates 11.8 space | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armstead restructures creates 11.8 space

I have no doubt that they can create a lot of cap space. All I’m saying is that we’re going to pay for it in a couple of years
Maybe. But that’s how the game is played. We didn’t really pay Tyreek or Terron Armstead or Connor Williams last year. We’ll be paying them next year and the year after. But when we’re paying them, we’ll be backloading Tua’s and Waddle’s and Jaelen Phillips’s contracts so we’re not paying those guys in 2024, 2025, 2026–we’re paying them in 2027 on. And at that point, we’ll hopefully have a whole new class of major contributors who we’re not really paying in 2026, 2027, 2028 but who we’ll be paying in 2029, 2030, etc.

It’s a never-ending shell game until you decide it’s time to rebuild. The only way that rebuild gets forced upon you before you’re ready for it is if you stupidly have a lot of $10M-plus dead cap hits for guys who aren’t on your team anymore. That’s less about overspending and restructuring and more about making bad decisions on who to pay. For example, Byron Jones hurts a lot more than Ogbah because Byron is sunk cost while Ogbah we can ride out for another year or two of productivity while spreading his cap hits.

Disappointed in the Armstead restructure. Actually think it'll be a huge mistake.

Before the restructure, we had the option to cut Armstead after 2024 at a cost of $4.8 million in dead money.

After the restructure, it will cost us a little under $13 million in dead money (which can be spread across two seasons) if we want to cut him after 2024. Alternatively, you could interpret the restructure as just meaning that we’re locked into him for one more year. If we cut him after 2025, it would cost us $6.3 million in dead money.

Before the restructure, we had the option to cut Armstead after 2024 at a cost of $4.8 million in dead money.

After the restructure, it will cost us a little under $13 million in dead money (which can be spread across two seasons) if we want to cut him after 2024. Alternatively, you could interpret the restructure as just meaning that we’re locked into him for one more year. If we cut him after 2025, it would cost us $6.3 million in dead money.
Ok, thank you, for explaining it to me. It makes much more sense now. 👍

Interesting timing on the Armstead restructure because it didn't necessarily have to be done so early. But it does signal that the Dolphins want to maximize the amount of cap space available at the start of free agency.

Ok, thank you, for explaining it to me. It makes much more sense now. 👍

Its still not a good move or one that is some how a positive to the future of this club. So you were right to question it.

Nothing about owing Terron Armstead $13M after we'd release him is a great business move.

Its mortgaging. Its why the Eagles are bout to lose a 1/4 of their roster with over $54M in dead cap space. Just about 20% of their total cap. Staggering.

Last edited:
I hate this contract with him. I can't believe we paid this dude this much to play half the year.

We didn't pay him to just play half a year, it just turned out that way.
Those are just the "breaks" that occur in the NFL.

Football is a contact sport, even though not everyone on our current defense seems to be aware of it, based on the way they "tackle". - LOL

Time to put on your "big boy" pants. - LOL

Ok we have some money to spend, if your were running the Dolphins would you.....

A) Use the money to extend Wilkins and Seiler now?

B) Use the money to make a big splash getting one or two high value free agents?

C) Use the money to bring in four or five potential mid-level starters?

I would go with choice - "C".

I suspect the team will also move this way in general, with very few exceptions.

We didn't pay him to just play half a year, it just turned out that way.
Those are just the "breaks" that occur in the NFL.

Football is a contact sport, even though not everyone on our current defense seems to be aware of it, based on the way they "tackle". - LOL

Time to put on your "big boy" pants. - LOL
True, but you can ascertain what the most likely outcome is in someone based on past examples. He started 13 games for us this year. I think he only finished 10 of them.
I understand the other aspects he brings but we, nor anyone else, should be paying that kind of money for half year availability...

Back
Top Bottom