Article: Are Jets fans dilusional? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: Are Jets fans dilusional?

The Jets may take a step back, but your reasons all seem silly to me.

Shonn Greene took the starting role from TJ last season, and was much more effective when he was in. He is the Jets starter. Now, if you want to say he is an injury concern, I agree.

And we didn't even have him last year. When he starts in week 5 our #3 receiver position is instantly upgraded by a great deal, even if Santonio is only at 75%.

That's funny because when the pressure was at it's highest point last year in the playoffs he played very well. He had the best combined rookie qb performance in NFL history.

Greene only took over and became more effective because Jones was run into the ground. The Fins have always had more trouble stopping Washington and Jones than they have LT. I was glad to see those two leave and see LT come in.

My point about Holmes was very similiar to the situation Pitt is in with Big Ben. By the time he can come back and make any sort of difference the team could be 2-4 or worse and any impact he may make may be moot. It's the same for us and Jason Ferguson, by the time he gets back on the team our season will be pretty much determined.

The media does the exact same thing with Sanchez, whenever he plays a normal game, or puts up numbers that are expected of a top draft pick they go gaga. They treat him as if he is the guy on the tream who only has one arm or something, so whenever he completes a routine out pattern or something, "whoa! what a nice pass by Sanchez!". I am just glad we didn't waste a top 5 pick on a guy who throws 1.25 Ints for every 1 TD.

Well I am pretty sure you won't start 3-0 because you play the Fins in week 3 and we all know how that's been working for you guys lately :crazy:

Meh who cares. Jets were an 8-8 team at best last year, and regressed in the offseason. By the way Jets fans talk, you'd think they went 12-4 easily winning the division, when the fact is they were really a .500 team.

Greene only took over and became more effective because Jones was run into the ground.
That's funny because if you watched Greene run compared to Thomas you'd know that he was always the more effective back. His problem was staying healthy and early fumble issues - both of which could still be an issue. From a pure effectiveness as a back standpoint, Greene was the better back all season without question. He averaged 5YPC last year.

The Fins have always had more trouble stopping Washington and Jones than they have LT. I was glad to see those two leave and see LT come in.
Again, Washington was out for most of last season and LT will see limited touches.

My point about Holmes was very similiar to the situation Pitt is in with Big Ben. By the time he can come back and make any sort of difference the team could be 2-4 or worse and any impact he may make may be moot. It's the same for us and Jason Ferguson, by the time he gets back on the team our season will be pretty much determined.
You mentioned Holmes as part of your reason the Jets would step back. If that's your new point than sure, I agree.

The media does the exact same thing with Sanchez, whenever he plays a normal game, or puts up numbers that are expected of a top draft pick they go gaga. They treat him as if he is the guy on the tream who only has one arm or something, so whenever he completes a routine out pattern or something, "whoa! what a nice pass by Sanchez!". I am just glad we didn't waste a top 5 pick on a guy who throws 1.25 Ints for every 1 TD.
Sanchez was a rookie QB with only 16 college starts. Many great QB's have thrown a ton of INT's in there rookie season. He was wildly inconsistent last year having 4 absolutely terrible games where he threw 75% of his INT's on the season. He looked much better at the end of the season (especially in the playoffs), and I expect him to be more consistent this year. While he didn't have an impressive season from a statistical standpoint, he did show a lot of promising things that you want to see from a QB. The tool set is there.

Well I am pretty sure you won't start 3-0 because you play the Fins in week 3 and we all know how that's been working for you guys lately :crazy:
I guess that just means we're due.

Meh who cares. Jets were an 8-8 team at best last year, and regressed in the offseason. By the way Jets fans talk, you'd think they went 12-4 easily winning the division, when the fact is they were really a .500 team.

They regressed based on what? Your biased opinion? The Jets had the #1 defense and #1 rushing game in the league last season. You act like they just got lucky. There offense struggled with a rookie QB. Logic indicates we'll get better QB play this year.

They regressed based on what? Your biased opinion? The Jets had the #1 defense and #1 rushing game in the league last season. You act like they just got lucky. There offense struggled with a rookie QB. Logic indicates we'll get better QB play this year.
What opinion? You really were an 8-8 team at best last year.

Your running game is going to be worse. Say what you will about Faneca's pass blocking, but he's still a damn good run blocker. LT is washed up. He's washed up as a full time back, and will be washed up as a part time back. It's sad because I like LT, but it's the truth. Thomas Jones was a much better back. Then you get rid of your biggest playmaker on offense, in Washington, who is also a Dolphin Killer. Sorry, but I can't see McKnight replacing him, he just isn't that good. I'd be willing to bet anything that LT and McKnight don't come close to the 1922 rushing/receiving yards Jones/Washington put up last year, and who knows if Shonn Green can carry the load.

You also did not address your biggest needs either, that being DE and OLB. JT is not a consistent pass rusher anymore I'm afraid.

I did like the Kyle Wilson pick though. Though that's a wash because you traded a 3rd/2nd rounder for a very average CB in Cromartie. There's also Brodney Poole, who is decent, but has very serious concussion issues, and I'm not so sure he's better than Kerry Rhodes. I also liked the Holmes trade. For a 5th, that is good value, but he's suspended the 1st four games. But you still have Sanchez around to sling around lots of INT's.

You and me can argue it any way, but this offseason only made you marginally worse/better, and considering you were an 8-8 team at best last year, is not enough to make you any type of serious contender. Let's just look at your schedule.

Ravens - I can't see the Jets beating the Ravens. They still have a very good defense, and have the potential to have a very good offense this year with the additions of two dangerous threats at TE in Pitta and Dickson and of course Anquan Boldin.

New England - Jets and NE are very evenly matched. These games can go either way.

Miami - Jets, Pats, and Dolphins are all very evenly matched. On paper, the Dolphins have had an unbelievable offseason, and should be much, much improved. These games can go either way. The homer in me sees another sweep.

Buffalo - Let's face it, Buffalo blows. But they blew last year and we both found a way to lose to them... Division games can go either way.

Minnesota - Another tough matchup. If Favre comes back, the Vikings are the better team, and I see the Jets losing this one. If Favre doesn't, Jets win.

At Denver - McDaniels is an idiot, Jets win.

Green Bay - I think the Packers are a much better team. I say GB wins this one.

At Detroit - Obviously the Jets are the better team, but every year the Jets have a few SOJ games :up:

At Cleveland - Browns suck, Jets win.

Houston - I like Houston. This one can go any way.

Cincy - I like what the Bengals did this offseason. Gave Palmer more weapons in Gresham, Bryant, and Shipley. They have a good defense, which will be a lot better with Odom back, and Dunlap can be a beast when motivated. Toss up imo.

At Pitt - Who knows. I don't have much faith in the Steelers at all this year though.

At Chicago - Meh. If Cutler plays to his potential, could be a dangerous team if the keys to their defense can remain healthy this year. If Cutler blows again, no chance.

Looking at your schedule, I honestly see 8-8 or 9-7. Possibly 10-6, but just as good a chance to go 7-9. We'll see. I expect a lot of very disappointed Jets fans this season though. While you guys may not be expecting 15-1 like ESPN says, a lot of Jets fans are waaay overrating their team team with expectation of 12 wins or more. 11 wins would be expecting too much when actually looking at the facts.

Or you guys could just have the second coming of Rick Mirer. Fin Fans can only hope! :up:

Your running game is going to be worse. Say what you will about Faneca's pass blocking, but he's still a damn good run blocker. LT is washed up. He's washed up as a full time back, and will be washed up as a part time back. It's sad because I like LT, but it's the truth. Thomas Jones was a much better back. Then you get rid of your biggest playmaker on offense, in Washington, who is also a Dolphin Killer. Sorry, but I can't see McKnight replacing him, he just isn't that good. I'd be willing to bet anything that LT and McKnight don't come close to the 1922 rushing/receiving yards Jones/Washington put up last year, and who knows if Shonn Green can carry the load.

You also did not address your biggest needs either, that being DE and OLB. JT is not a consistent pass rusher anymore I'm afraid.

I did like the Kyle Wilson pick though. Though that's a wash because you traded a 3rd/2nd rounder for a very average CB in Cromartie. There's also Brodney Poole, who is decent, but has very serious concussion issues, and I'm not so sure he's better than Kerry Rhodes. I also liked the Holmes trade. For a 5th, that is good value, but he's suspended the 1st four games. But you still have Sanchez around to sling around lots of INT's.

You and me can argue it any way, but this offseason only made you marginally worse/better, and considering you were an 8-8 team at best last year, is not enough to make you any type of serious contender. Let's just look at your schedule.

Ravens - I can't see the Jets beating the Ravens. They still have a very good defense, and have the potential to have a very good offense this year with the additions of two dangerous threats at TE in Pitta and Dickson and of course Anquan Boldin.

New England - Jets and NE are very evenly matched. These games can go either way.

Miami - Jets, Pats, and Dolphins are all very evenly matched. On paper, the Dolphins have had an unbelievable offseason, and should be much, much improved. These games can go either way. The homer in me sees another sweep.

Buffalo - Let's face it, Buffalo blows. But they blew last year and we both found a way to lose to them... Division games can go either way.

Minnesota - Another tough matchup. If Favre comes back, the Vikings are the better team, and I see the Jets losing this one. If Favre doesn't, Jets win.

At Detroit - Obviously the Jets are the better team, but every year the Jets have a few SOJ games :up:

Cincy - I like what the Bengals did this offseason. Gave Palmer more weapons in Gresham, Bryant, and Shipley. They have a good defense, which will be a lot better with Odom back, and Dunlap can be a beast when motivated. Toss up imo.

At Pitt - Who knows. I don't have much faith in the Steelers at all this year though.

At Chicago - Meh. If Cutler plays to his potential, could be a dangerous team if the keys to their defense can remain healthy this year. If Cutler blows again, no chance.

Looking at your schedule, I honestly see 8-8 or 9-7. Possibly 10-6, but just as good a chance to go 7-9. We'll see. I expect a lot of very disappointed Jets fans this season though. While you guys may not be expecting 15-1 like ESPN says, a lot of Jets fans are waaay overrating their team team with expectation of 12 wins or more. 11 wins would be expecting too much when actually looking at the facts.

Good post. I could very easily see a 1-3 Jets team after the first quarter of the season. Can yuo imagine what Jets fans will be saying then? They'll want Sexy Rexy's head.

i dont care if they finish 14-2 as long as we are the ones who hand them their losses!

I'll take 14-2 w/ 2 losses to the dolphins.

Greene only took over and became more effective because Jones was run into the ground. The Fins have always had more trouble stopping Washington and Jones than they have LT. I was glad to see those two leave and see LT come in.

Jones was hurt, he wasn't run into the ground.

LT didn't have an OL like we have.

In Jones' career against Miami as a Jet he ran it 121 times for 453 yds for a 3.7 YPC so he wasn't great against Miami.

Leon was trouble for you guys rushing 61 times for 284 yds for 4.7 YPC.

LT only faced Miami 5 times scattered throughout his 9 seasons and while he didn't fare well it's not fair to use 5 games over 9 seasons as a judgement.

When did the media go gaga over Sanchez? he gopt some good publicity early in the year then in postseason- he was battered most of the year and the media was actually pretty unfair w/ him considering outsode of the 4 awful games he played really well. he was also blamed for the Jets losing 8 games when if it was all about Sanchez we'd have been 12-4.

Yep, we know we have no shot against Miami and the amazing 3 game win streak:lol:

We reached the AFC Championship Game, we were one of the last 4 teams to be alive last season. You act like we won the afc east and got humiliated at home in the Wold Card round.

Our yardage #s might be worse but our ground game will still be efficient and our pass game will be much better.

DEs in rex's system are a dime a dozen and we added a pass rusher. We also strengthened our secondary and get kris jenkins back to a defense that was #1 in the NFL last year.

If we were an 8-8 team last year were you guys a 6-7 win team in 2008 considering you played nothing but dead teams to end the season?

One thing about GB and Minny, while both are really good for some reason we always beat them just like Houston always beats you guys and Philly and Wash always beat us.

W/ our defense we should be in every game, on paper this is a 12 win type of team- can we win 12? I don't know.

Don't buy that espn story, there's not a jet fan alive that EXPECTS 15-1.

It's still very early, if we can get out of that first quarter 2-2 or 3-1 then watch out.

Good post. I could very easily see a 1-3 Jets team after the first quarter of the season. Can yuo imagine what Jets fans will be saying then? They'll want Sexy Rexy's head.

Sort of like last year when we struggled midseason. When you win you are great, when you lose you suck. I saw plenty of anti-Sparano topics on here last season.

That's funny because our record says 9-7. No one knows the outcome of the Colts game if they had played there starters the entire game. You can project all you want, the fact is we won the game.

Your running game is going to be worse. Say what you will about Faneca's pass blocking, but he's still a damn good run blocker.
I will give you Faneca leaving is a downgrade to our run game. This is one of the few spots we've downgraded at.

LT is washed up. He's washed up as a full time back, and will be washed up as a part time back. It's sad because I like LT, but it's the truth.
LT put up the same numbers Thomas Jones did at the end of the season behind a much worse run blocking o-line. TJ was never a 10-15 carry per game type back - his yardage was almost always a result of the carries after that mark. LT - as a shadow of his former self, has a much better skillset to be that type of back than TJ would. LT is not going to play a huge role on this team - but I expect him to be more effective in his part time role than Jones would have been.

Thomas Jones was a much better back.
Jones was never as talented of a back as LT, he had the luxury of running behind arguably the best run blocking o-line in the league the past 2 years. I will bet you (sig bet?) Jones has fewer yards than LT this season.

Then you get rid of your biggest playmaker on offense, in Washington, who is also a Dolphin Killer. Sorry, but I can't see McKnight replacing him, he just isn't that good. I'd be willing to bet anything that LT and McKnight don't come close to the 1922 rushing/receiving yards Jones/Washington put up last year, and who knows if Shonn Green can carry the load.
Washington was gone for most of last year. How can losing him be considered regression when we didn't have him for the majority of the season? Brad Smith filled part of his role and McKnight will hopefully be able to provide some of that 3rd down back action we didn't have last season.

Shonn Greene is a better back than Thomas Jones when healthy. Whether or not he can stay healthy is a good question, but he was clearly the better RB last season and the Jets will rely on him to take the majority of the carries. If he stays healthy and whoever fills in at LG can be good I think our running game has the potential to be better with Greene taking all the carries.

While I agree we needed to take a DE early, our defense did pretty well last season with what we have. OH, and we're getting this guy Kris Jenkins back in the middle - maybe you've heard of him?

Not upgrading != taking a step back.

Jay **** Taylor had 7 sacks on a ****ty dolphins defense last year. I think Rex will be able to get a pass rush out of him. That's an upgrade in pass rush.

I did like the Kyle Wilson pick though. Though that's a wash because you traded a 3rd/2nd rounder for a very average CB in Cromartie.
You realize Cromartie flourished in his rookie year playing man defense in a pressure scheme right? Then he played the entire 2008 season with a BROKEN HIP, and landed in a zone scheme with no pressure in 2009. Even still, he is one of the top rated corners in the league when you look at opposing QB's passer rating when throwing at him. You may not be scared of him, but I think he's going to do very well in this defense. Even if he only does as well as last year in a scheme that was terrible for his freakish skill set he will be a big upgrade over what Sheppard did.
upgrade

I don't know much about Wilson but from what I've read he was possibly the best man cover corner in the draft. Sounds like a good fit. One thing I do know about him that is being overlooked by many is his punt return ability. Our punt returns were very lackluster last season and we had a lot of opportunities to return them with our D. If Wilson can be something special on PR, it could make a world of difference.
upgrade CB#3 and CB#4 because lowery is now #4 where he belongs, and PR.

There's also Brodney Poole, who is decent, but has very serious concussion issues, and I'm not so sure he's better than Kerry Rhodes.
Rhodes was *** the last couple of years. I honestly don't know much about Poole other than the concussion history. I don't know if he's better than Rhodes either, but Rhodes wasn't exactly good for us last year or the year prior. I would guess this is a wash.

I also liked the Holmes trade. For a 5th, that is good value, but he's suspended the 1st four games. But you still have Sanchez around to sling around lots of INT's.
2nd year, we'll see how he progresses. If playoffs were any indication of his progression, it could be very good. Holmes does provide an upgrade at #2 WR, but more importantly a HUGE upgrade at #3 WR.

Actually we were 9-7. We also came together and played much better on defense as the season went on. The offense, particularly Sanchez progressed as well. The reason we were able to make a run to the AFCC game was the team was playing it's best football of the year.

Makes sense under a new head coach with a new defense the defense would take a while to gell. Now add Jenkins back in, an upgrade to CB#2, CB#3, CB#4 and pass rush (situational) and I think you will see a defense a lot better than last year. Last year they were statistically the #1 D but failed to finish in some big spots. If they can improve enough to finish it will win us more games.

I don't care for looking at game by game predictions too much at this point. I do expect the Jets to win between 9 and 12 games this year so long as we don't have major injuries. Our defense should be good enough to keep us in every game, maybe win some for us. If the offense can improve over last year we will be tough to beat.

Um, no it doesn't. Rick mirer was the rookie of the year. How did the rest of his career go? Sanchez had one of the worst seasons I have ever seen a QB have and he had about as good of a situation as there was for any QB.

And I despise Jets fans (2 of my best friends are Jets fans and they are beyond annoying talking about them) but it's good to be delusional. That's what being a fan is about. Even though their playoff run was a complete fraud, they got in and made some big name moves. So while I think they will fall on their faces and will bet money on them finishing under their projected win total, they have every right to be excited. That's what the offseason is about.

Um, no it doesn't. Rick mirer was the rookie of the year. How did the rest of his career go? Sanchez had one of the worst seasons I have ever seen a QB have and he had about as good of a situation as there was for any QB.
And there's a long list of QB's who did terribly as a rookie and went on to play much better. If you watched Sanchez over the course of the season he improved, and played his best football in the playoffs. Sanchez had an up and down rookie season with 4 absolutely terrible games. He looked much better at the end, and so with a full off season it's reasonable to think he'll be better next season.

Your reasoning is terrible.
And I despise Jets fans (2 of my best friends are Jets fans and they are beyond annoying talking about them) but it's good to be delusional. That's what being a fan is about. Even though their playoff run was a complete fraud, they got in and made some big name moves. So while I think they will fall on their faces and will bet money on them finishing under their projected win total, they have every right to be excited. That's what the offseason is about.
And how was there playoff run a complete fraud? They won two road games, one against the team most had picked to go to the superbowl. What exactly was fraudulent about it? lmao. Don't be jealous.

Back
Top Bottom