Article: "Christian Wilkins playing like a first rounder" Really??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: "Christian Wilkins playing like a first rounder" Really???

Wilkins has ranked in the top 6 for either solo or assisted tackles since he came in the league. This year being tied for 2nd in solo tackles, but yeah let's just pay attention to sacks, Wilkins is one of the least of this teams concerns.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...ilkins-playing-like-first-rounder/6029508001/

I strongly disagree with this article. Christian Wilkins IS NOT playing like a first rounder this year (nor is anyone else on Miami's 2021 D-Line) or in previous years. He's good for a good play every game or two combined with lots of times when he's blown off the ball or stalemated. He's not a bad player, but he's no blue chip prospect. Why on earth Grier and Flores wanted Wilkins over his Clemson D-Line teammate Dexter Lawrence is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that Wilkins is more athletic, but Lawrence is a better football player.
Reality check time. The number of 1st round picks that make the pro bowl at least one time during their NFL career is 37%. Wilkins is third on the team for tackles, leads the team for TFL, has 3 pressures, and one sack through 4 games. He is not top 10 at his position, but you can make a case for living up to the first round pick.

Wilkins is a solid starter. Not every pick will be an all pro. I’ll take solid starters with a sprinkle of standouts all day long.

Raekwon was on his way to standout. If we hit on Holland and Phillips, the defense will be tuff.

Wilkins is a solid starter. Not every pick will be an all pro. I’ll take solid starters with a sprinkle of standouts all day long.

Raekwon was on his way to standout. If we hit on Holland and Phillips, the defense will be tuff.
you don't see christian taking steps forward this year?

paul soliai didn't become paul soliai until year 4.

I think everyone sees Big Christian taking steps. And I hope you’re correct that he’s on the same track as Big Paul. Soliai was a beast in year 4!

I like Wilkins, but there is something to be said about what position a guy plays, its impact and when that level of talent should be drafted.

For instance, unless youre the Raiders or a team in the 60s you aren't taking a kicker in the first no matter how good he is. He could make every FG his entire career and still not really be worth that pick.

I'm always happy to have a first rounder produce and be part of the team, and I do like Wilkins, but whether he was the right selection at that spot is definitely arguable.

I like Wilkins, but there is something to be said about what position a guy plays, its impact and when that level of talent should be drafted.

For instance, unless youre the Raiders or a team in the 60s you aren't taking a kicker in the first no matter how good he is. He could make every FG his entire career and still not really be worth that pick.

I'm always happy to have a first rounder produce and be part of the team, and I do like Wilkins, but whether he was the right selection at that spot is definitely arguable.
Exactly!!

Back
Top Bottom