Article on Redskins / Lions draft intentions - We may have one less potential QB pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Redskins / Lions draft intentions - We may have one less potential QB pick

Imagine if they pass on him in that scenario, there wont even be a board anymore...lol

Dolphin fans headed for Davie:

giphy.gif

This is such a weird thing to say...but if Tua fell to us I almost can't envision the Dolphins picking him. I'd love if they picked Tua if he was there at #5, but will be holding my breath right up until they do.

In all my years of being a Dolphins fan, they have picked the guy we fans thought they should pick, what maybe TWICE with Devante Parker and Ryan Tannehill? The road is littered with the Ted Ginn picks of the world where they selected a guy out of left field and this board went nuts. (Footnote: I was 1 when they picked Marino, so not counting that).

Even when in prime position to pick a QB they have tripped over their own feet with Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers and Jake Long over Matt Ryan. Hopefully they don't have any surprises in store...but with this team the surprise is actually the one constant.
God I didnt want us to draft Tannehill.... that was a terrible day for me I still remember it.

I'll tell you what; if the Dolphins stay put at 5 and Tua falls to them...this board is gonna get real fun, real quick.

This is what I hope happens. Even if Tua doesnt pan out for us, least we tried without giving up more resources to get him. Im just tired of passing on top QB draft prospects, we gotta draft one to find one.

The Giants are also a trade partner for teams to jump Miami... no way we stay at 5 if Tua is the target.

I read somewhere that the Giants almost never trade down. They look pretty much set in stone at 4.

They couldn't be that insane.

I will ask this, though. I know your answer but I gotta ask it any way. Someone offers you three 1s for a trade. Are you considering it?

Thats tough, good value in return but at some point we need to stop collecting draft picks and actually start the re build and it starts with finding a franchise QB. future draft picks guarantee nothing, too many variables such as too many other QB needy teams ahead of us in 2021 draft who have zero interest in trading down.

Cant see this scenario, to fall from 3 to 12 leaves you out of the top flight talent and the first wave of guys at prime positions. With pick number 5 as the base for Miami it could be a little as adding #39 to get up to Detroit but may cost #26. 5 and 26 is way better than 12 and 19 IMO. give you a chance at a top flight guy and a very tradeable piece in 26.

Now you're getting to the complexity of trades. It isn't just picks. It's how far down will that trade put me? Who do I want after the trade and what teams above me may want that guy? If I decide to pass on a guy, who do I want next and what are the odds he'll be there. This isn't just trade #5 and a R2 pick. Much more complex than that.

The problem is the Lions at #3. The Redskins should and prob will fall in love with Chase Young at #2.

But Detroit would trade back for more picks I'm almost positive. Patricia needs to win now and if picking up an extra 1st round pick in this draft is on the table, I bet they take it. So that makes other teams come into play, especially the Raiders w jackasses Mayock and Gruden. They could be in Love with Tua. Gruden has never met a QB he didnt fall in love with, especially one that's won multiple national championships. The Raiders have picks #12 and #19. They have the ammo. Oakland is the team I'm worried about.

So to be safe, if we are 100% in love with Tua and hes def the guy everyone in the front office wants, they almost have to trade up to at least #3 to get him. If we want Herbert then wait till #5 bc even if hes not there, hes not the blue chip recruit Tua is. There is a "Herbert" type qb in every draft.

I can definitely see Gruden and Mayock making a crazy offer for Tua. Gruden is the most overrated and over hyped coach that I can remember. Why is he considered a "QB guru" but never had or could find a good QB from his days in Tampa and now with the Raiders.

And I agree Herbert is definitely the cliche QB prospect that can be found in every draft every year, nothing real special about him. He could be Joe Flacco or Paxton Lynch, I dont see a real high ceiling for him.

This is assuming Tua is their target. As has been noted here often, Grier/Flo don't care what FH posters think. Now, I suspect they will take Tua at #5, and hope they do. Still, I'm realistic enough to see there are variables we don't know.

Agreed. But the point is that there are two assumptions going on:

1) The Fins want Tua
2) The Fins are going to have to give up draft capital to get him.

We need the Redskins to fall in love with Young and the Lions to fall in love with Okudah. Big time.

It could also help if the Lions do trade Darius Slay, cause then they'd probably covet Okudah at #3 even more.

Agreed. But the point is that there are two assumptions going on:

1) The Fins want Tua
2) The Fins are going to have to give up draft capital to get him.

At the risk of being flamed, if, in fact, Tua is a "generational talent," why do so many have Det, NYG, and Wash passing on him and keeping Stafford/Haskins/Jones? Maybe the tired 'ol 'they don't recognize talent?' Maybe there will be lingering worries about injuries in spite of reports. Maybe Grier/Flo prefer Herbert?

Don't get me wrong. If Tua is there, I'm hoping he's a Dolphin. But fans have no idea what any of the team @2 > #6 think of him. No idea who wants to move up, what the bid will be, or if the target team will be willing to trade. People throw opinions around like there is no debate. Wouldn't surprise me Miami leaks reports they LOVE Young and Okudah and are very impressed with Rosen. Get teams thinking they may lose their target at #6.

The true threats to trade up are the Chargers, Raiders and maybe Carolina.

I can't see the Lions moving on from Stafford, but those rumors have persisted for several years.

If Miami is good with any of the top four quarterbacks, staying put makes sense. But the Dolphins may have to trade up for Tua or Herbert.

Another whiff article in the sense that we can just skip Washington as a trade partner.

Whiff

At the risk of being flamed, if, in fact, Tua is a "generational talent," why do so many have Det, NYG, and Wash passing on him and keeping Stafford/Haskins/Jones? Maybe the tired 'ol 'they don't recognize talent?' Maybe there will be lingering worries about injuries in spite of reports. Maybe Grier/Flo prefer Herbert?

Don't get me wrong. If Tua is there, I'm hoping he's a Dolphin. But fans have no idea what any of the team @2 > #6 think of him. No idea who wants to move up, what the bid will be, or if the target team will be willing to trade. People throw opinions around like there is no debate. Wouldn't surprise me Miami leaks reports they LOVE Young and Okudah and are very impressed with Rosen. Get teams thinking they may lose their target at #6.

You've always seemed to be a good dude. No flaming.

1) The Giants, specifically their GM, love Daniel Jones.
2) The Lions GM and HC have basically been given a mandate that they have to be playoff contenders in 2020...or else. Tua is not going to help them more than Stafford would in 2020
3) Daniel Snyder seems enamored with Dwayne Haskins. And in DC, that's really all that matters.

And finally - the question, as always, is the hip injury. It's not the talent.

You've always seemed to be a good dude. No flaming.

1) The Giants, specifically their GM, love Daniel Jones.
2) The Lions GM and HC have basically been given a mandate that they have to be playoff contenders in 2020...or else. Tua is not going to help them more than Stafford would in 2020
3) Daniel Snyder seems enamored with Dwayne Haskins. And in DC, that's really all that matters.

And finally - the question, as always, is the hip injury. It's not the talent.

Yeah, I got that. I'm a little bemused with all this "generational talent" talk going around. And if GMs don't recognize it, they're idiots. More likely, many don't see the generational talent and proceed accordingly. Matter of fact, there ae probably 15-20 teams that could use a generational talent at QB and could at least make an effort. Tua is a very good prospect, but there are no guarantees and, as almost all fans know, teams prioritize needs.

At the risk of being flamed, if, in fact, Tua is a "generational talent," why do so many have Det, NYG, and Wash passing on him and keeping Stafford/Haskins/Jones?

LOL … I've been flamed for days trying to get an objective answer to that very question... @Pachyderm_Wave was the only one to come through with common sense ...

Maybe I don't seem like a good dude lol ... but it makes no sense for teams to bypass a generational talent (as Tua is touted pre-draft and combine) at the most important position in football ... IMO

Back
Top Bottom