Article: YOU BE THE JUDGE! TANNEHILL VS BRADY: A SUPERSTAR IN THE MAKING? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: YOU BE THE JUDGE! TANNEHILL VS BRADY: A SUPERSTAR IN THE MAKING?

Samphin

Dolphins Homer
Reaction score
I have always liked the Kid..I think the guy has improved every season and is still improving..I hope he has another great season and plays all games in the 17-18 season to include some playoff games!!

edd324b4c9dcda260fd4ec3293cd1a4c.jpg

Everyone has their own approach to something like this. I'm not going to declare one is superior to another. IMHO, Tannehill has performed well, and I'm very happy to have him. On the plus side he has steadily improved despite multiple coordinators and offenses. But, Brady continued to improve well past year 5, so the mystique of Brady isn't built on being a guy who went from rookie to year 5 veteran ... it progressed well past that point. We all hope Tannehill also continues to progress and eventually reaches the heights that Brady has shown for the last 5 years. I think Ryan can.

Ball Security is the one area in those initial 5 years where Brady excels. Looking at Tannehill's interceptions last year, he did a phenomenal job avoiding turnovers once he got over the initial 5 game learning curve. If he can keep that up, he will end this discussion about whether he is our answer at QB. I think he can, and am looking forward to a great season from him.

But this analysis does not take into consideration the OL behind which they played. There is no question that the OL for Tannehill was far inferior. Through his first 3 years he was the worst protected QB ever as far as starting QB's in their first 3 years. We have not had a great running game, arguably until Ajayi, for Tannehill to lean on like most young QB's. Our defensive performance has been erratic at best. Tannehill's circumstance has been far worse than Brady's was in their first 5 years.

Looking at Last year we see some real indications of how that affects him. In the first 5 games when the entire team was learning the offense, Tannehill's protection was putrid. His execution was also very bad. These led to a bunch of INT's. Once the team grasped the offense and started protecting him better, Tannehill was able to get a run of games under his belt where he knew the offense and actually had decent protection, which led to a fantastic stretch of football. I think he had like 1 INT in 7 games and the full stretch of 9 games was good too. If he had averaged those numbers over the entire season, he would have been rivaling Derek Carr as the best QB in the league and NFL MVP prior to getting hurt. If we look at games 6 onward, Tannehill is en fuego.

Tannehill ended up last season as one of the top 3 QB's for Completion Percentage In the Red Zone (3rd behind Breeze and Brady), and #1 at QB Rating In the Red Zone (ahead of Brady). So, when we got the ball down inside the opponents 20 yard line, Tannehill did his job well. Now we need to work on getting the ball down there more often.

Last edited:
This can only go well.... nice post Digital btw..

Also- of course Tannehill will have more rushing yards and is better at it. He's a pure athlete. And most of Brady's carries are those damn qb sneaks

Great write-up, Digital. I really think Ryan Tannehill just needs to take off where he ended last season. As you noted, after the first six games he played exceptionally well. Tannehill was a big reason Miami won 10 games.

I'm not ready to compare him with Tom Brady, but I also wouldn't be surprised inf Tannehill ended up in the top 10 for quarterback rating this season. He probably compares better to Matt Ryan and where he was in year six.

Loved your point on Brady continuing to improve. I know when he entered the league he was more of a game manager and his deep arm was questionable. Can't deny the guy has worked hard to get better. His ball placement, in particular, is among the best I've ever seen.

When it comes to best ever, I have a problem with that. I think Aaron Rodgers has better attributes. He can make plays on the move, keep plays alive with his athletic ability and has an insanely accurate deep game. Brady is great, but I just think there are better quarterbacks than him despite the amazing run of championships.

I honestly didn't read, because mentioning Tannehill in the same sentence as Brady is absurd. Tannehill will never be as good as Tom Brady, and that's OK, because 99.9% of quarterbacks won't either.

I think mentioning Tannehill and Brady in the same sentence is just looking for trouble, and even though Brady really isn't nearly as great as people think (He is top 10, but closer to the 6-10 part, then top 5 people talk about him being in), he is among the best because of how he finishes games, and how he reacts to pressure (Other then pass-rush pressure, where he does fall apart a bit).

Once Tannehill starts showing the same consistency at end of games, and at crunch time, then we can start trying to slip Tannehill's name in the same sentence as Brady.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom