As Of Right Now The Dolphins Have the First Pick In the 2021 Draft ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As Of Right Now The Dolphins Have the First Pick In the 2021 Draft ?

For a season opener that game seemed flat too.

Not having the full impact of fans very noticeable. And they even had some

...But if Tua gets hurt again or struggles initially ... Ross will have a lot of big time questions, that would include drafting Trevor Lawrence, potentially cleaning house AGAIN if we fail to win at least 7 games, and offering this gold mine situation to a new GM and Coach. That is a frightening scenario to even consider ... another 3 years of ugly rebuilding. Let's hope that does not happen.

I love the post except for the highlighted part. I think if Tua gets hurt, drafting Lawrence doesn't mean we start over. We have solid rebuild going on in my mind, so we just upgrade to a better QB in Lawrence.

KC looked well prepared + STRONG.

Mahomes is a nightmare to defend.

Kelce is a nightmare to defend.

Hill can run wild on you.

Watkins is pretty good...

That new OG looked BIG + strong...

Don't think any team can slow them down.

Have to be a fav to repeat as is...

Houston has a tuff road but worst case they finish 8-8.
But they most likely will have a winning record IMO.

I mean on paper they have Fuller, Stills, Cobb and Cooks . . . plus 2 solid pass catching backs with the Johnson boys. Sure that doesn't replace Nuk, but it's not like we are talking the 2012 Dolphins WR group either.

KC is just really darn good defensively I think, and Houston will likely fire their coach/GM before the season is over.

Will Fuller is fine. Stills, Cobb and Cooks aren't.

It's hard to imagine Houston or Miami being bad enough to pick in the top 10.

That said, most teams are a key injury away from that possibility. Even the top teams.

Will Fuller is fine. Stills, Cobb and Cooks aren't.

They've been solid WRs. I look at that foursome and I don't see a huge issue, but certainly they miss that all star possession guy that Deandre was for them. Will Fuller did a lot of the "Deandre work" inside last night. Where they went missing was on the outside, where with Cooks, Stills and Fuller you expect them to do better.

Or maybe they are all washed? Still too early to tell for me.

The real ‘what if’ to consider is — what if DeShaun Watson goes down for any length of time? That team is surely a bottom 5, possibly bottom 3 team and in contention for a top pick.

That's what we thought about Roethlisberger and the Steelers last year. I'll never root for someone to get injured, but I hope Watson has a turd of a season, obviously.

Last edited:
If Watson goes down, they are screwed. Also JJ Watt hasn't stayed healthy much the last few years.

For a season opener that game seemed flat too.

Not having the full impact of fans very noticeable. And they even had some

Locally, being the opener and game day, their was limited to no buzz. The KC flags in yards and cars were few and far between, it was subdued. My dad told me he only watched about 20 mns. And this is after going to a handful of games last year.

Heh, very low chance we end up with the #1 overall pick, and not really even worth considering at this point. But .... since you brought it up! The top pick in 2021 will be Trevor Lawrence, the highest rated QB prospect to come along since Andrew Luck. He has the productivity of almost anyone, paired with truly elite tools in arm talent, size, accuracy, and decision making. It would be very hard for any team to pass on using that pick. ANY team.

Assuming we have Tua and he has proven to be our QB of the future, holding onto the top pick until fairly late in the process could probably net us three #1 picks, which could vault this team into contention immediately. With our huge war chest in 2021 already, we could easily shift one of those #1's into a future draft and still win big. If Tua proves healthy and on his way to becoming a good NFL QB, that is likely the right way to go and likely what we will do. But if Tua gets hurt again or struggles initially ... Ross will have a lot of big time questions, that would include drafting Trevor Lawrence, potentially cleaning house AGAIN if we fail to win at least 7 games, and offering this gold mine situation to a new GM and Coach. That is a frightening scenario to even consider ... another 3 years of ugly rebuilding. Let's hope that does not happen.

There is very little chance the Texans are the worst team in the NFL though, and not every opponent is the KC Chiefs, let's be real here. So, the much more likely scenario is that the Dolphins have their own draft pick around the 8-14 pick slot, and the Texans pick could be anywhere from the 12-22 slot, giving us two solid first rounders ... no controversy, and no critical regime shifting decisions.
That would be an interesting dilemma. I don't think Miami or Houston will pick top 10, let alone first overall. But, for the sake of argument, I would probably take Trevor Lawrence if Miami did have the #1 pick.

The reasons are pretty obvious. Tua's injuries have to be taken into account. It's the most important position in football. Lawrence might have more upside than Tua.

Back
Top Bottom