Asante? Hamlin? Faneca? Briggs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante? Hamlin? Faneca? Briggs?

Faneca is still a stud. His play never drops off. He is a tough cookie who would solidify our OL for 4/5 years easily. OL like him just dont lose it early on unless serious injury.

No thanks, I would rather go after Bryant Johnson and a few 2nd tier FA's and build through the draft. Once we have a solid foundation in place and are ready to compete for the playoffs, then we can use our cap $$$ to sign a big name or two to help push us over the top.

Spending money just to spend it and not get any better isn't a wise investment and will put the Phins in cap hell. Signing all of the FA's named in the thread title isn't enough to get us into the playoffs.

No thanks, I would rather go after Bryant Johnson and a few 2nd tier FA's and build through the draft. Once we have a solid foundation in place and are ready to compete for the playoffs, then we can use our cap $$$ to sign a big name or two to help push us over the top.

Spending money just to spend it and not get any better isn't a wise investment and will put the Phins in cap hell. Signing all of the FA's named in the thread title isn't enough to get us into the playoffs.

Samuel wouldn't make us better?

You can only get so much talent via the draft.

and I don't think the FO is planning on waiting 3+ years to become a contender

signing both Samuels and Faneca wouldn't even put us near cap hell

Samuel wouldn't make us better?
Samuel could very well be a product of NE's defense and not worth the money that he'll be seeking. I would rather sign Trufant if he hits the market or look to the draft which is very deep at CB. Signing big money FA's is not how you build a team that just went 1-15 IMO.

You can only get so much talent via the draft.

and I don't think the FO is planning on waiting 3+ years to become a contender
True, that's why rebuilding is a 2 or 3 year process. Even Parcells said that this isn't going to happen overnight.

signing both Samuels and Faneca wouldn't even put us near cap hell
Sure it would, you have to remember that we have to sign our draft picks (we might end up with a top 5 pick next year too) and our own FA's. Signing two high priced guys that won't put us in the playoffs is not a wise move. For us to get either player we would have to pay them even more than the ridiculous amount of money that they will already be looking for. Premier FA's don't want to go to a 1-15 team unless you really back up the Brinks truck for them.

Samuel could very well be a product of NE's defense and not worth the money that he'll be seeking. I would rather sign Trufant if he hits the market or look to the draft which is very deep at CB. Signing big money FA's is not how you build a team that just went 1-15 IMO.

True, that's why rebuilding is a 2 or 3 year process. Even Parcells said that this isn't going to happen overnight.

Sure it would, you have to remember that we have to sign our draft picks (we might end up with a top 5 pick next year too) and our own FA's. Signing two high priced guys that won't put us in the playoffs is not a wise move. For us to get either player we would have to pay them even more than the ridiculous amount of money that they will already be looking for. Premier FA's don't want to go to a 1-15 team unless you really back up the Brinks truck for them.

no way we end up with a top-5 pick next year...

im just a believer that you improve your team when you have the chance. we have $40 mil in cap space for next year, it will go somewhere. i dont think we are going to just hang out under the salary cap.

there is no 'right time' to sign free agents. you can't say 'we are just one player away'. you are always a contender. you always want to get better. you make good draft choices year in and year out, you sign good free agents when they are available. you don't overpay for players. you dont waste draft picks. you don't mickey mouse with your roster.

I would stay away from Asante, especially after the money he will want. Id like Hamlin, Faneca is too old for this team, and Id like Briggs alot. JMO

no way we end up with a top-5 pick next year...
I have to disagree, I think there is a very good chance that we pick top 5 next year. These players will once again be learning a new playbook and a new defense is going to be put in place and the players will have to learn new responsibilities. We are going to have alot of young players that need to step up and there is no guarantee that they will. I think it is definitely possible.

im just a believer that you improve your team when you have the chance. we have $40 mil in cap space for next year, it will go somewhere. i dont think we are going to just hang out under the salary cap.

there is no 'right time' to sign free agents. you can't say 'we are just one player away'. you are always a contender. you always want to get better. you make good draft choices year in and year out, you sign good free agents when they are available. you don't overpay for players. you dont waste draft picks. you don't mickey mouse with your roster.
We are not a contender IMO. Rebuilding is going to take 2 or 3 years as Parcells said. Sure you want to improve your team, but you also have to consider things like age, how long the player will be playing at a high level and will he be doing so when you are ready for the playoffs? Do we sign a guy like Faneca or Adams, guys that will start to decline and not be the players that they once were, when we are ready to make the playoffs? That's the whole reason why it's wise to move JT now while he still has value. By the time we are a playoff team he will either be out of the league or a shell of his former self. I would rather get something for him now then to just let him fade away on a bad team.

I think the point you were going for is that you don't purposely tank a season and put out a crappy roster just to rebuild. That's true, but you also have to take baby steps and build the foundation before you start putting the roof on the house.

I have to disagree, I think there is a very good chance that we pick top 5 next year. These players will once again be learning a new playbook and a new defense is going to be put in place and the players will have to learn new responsibilities. We are going to have alot of young players that need to step up and there is no guarantee that they will. I think it is definitely possible.

We are not a contender IMO. Rebuilding is going to take 2 or 3 years as Parcells said. Sure you want to improve your team, but you also have to consider things like age, how long the player will be playing at a high level and will he be doing so when you are ready for the playoffs? Do we sign a guy like Faneca or Adams, guys that will start to decline and not be the players that they once were, when we are ready to make the playoffs? That's the whole reason why it's wise to move JT now while he still has value. By the time we are a playoff team he will either be out of the league or a shell of his former self. I would rather get something for him now then to just let him fade away on a bad team.

I think the point you were going for is that you don't purposely tank a season and put out a crappy roster just to rebuild. That's true, but you also have to take baby steps and build the foundation before you start putting the roof on the house.

did anyone think the browns were a contender last offseason? but if you give them one or two improved defensive players theyre in the playoffs

the point I am going for is you can't try to predict when you will be good. One year you are a bad team, and the next you are a contender. you try to put the best team you can on the field every year. you dont try to be the best in 3 years, you try to be the best in 2008.

samuel is still 27. he has 5 years atleast at a very high level. he would instantly give us the best CB tandem in our division, and among the top 3 in the NFL. very important when you are in the same division as the patriots.

also, i think with a FO and coaching staff as good as ours, you can't end up among the 5 worst teams. a good staff will always give you a shot at being good.

this isnt cam and mueller anymore. we have winners to run the show

I would stay away from Asante, especially after the money he will want. Id like Hamlin, Faneca is too old for this team, and Id like Briggs alot. JMO
i think Faneca would help this team out Alot could u imagen Ronnie Brown Running behind LT Vernon Carey, LG Alan Faneca, and Center Samson Satele i think we would have one of the best rushing attacks in the game and he did really good this year behind an unknown LG

did anyone think the browns were a contender last offseason? but if you give them one or two improved defensive players theyre in the playoffs

the point I am going for is you can't try to predict when you will be good. One year you are a bad team, and the next you are a contender. you try to put the best team you can on the field every year. you dont try to be the best in 3 years, you try to be the best in 2008.

samuel is still 27. he has 5 years atleast at a very high level. he would instantly give us the best CB tandem in our division, and among the top 3 in the NFL. very important when you are in the same division as the patriots.
Of course there are going to be exceptions to the rule, but as the GM you can't count on your team to be the one that makes that leap because it isn't the norm. You have to plan on building your team in steps, not all at once.

Of course there are going to be exceptions to the rule, but as the GM you can't count on your team to be the one that makes that leap because it isn't the norm. You have to plan on building your team in steps, not all at once.

i agree you have to build in steps. but you dont have to take one step at a time. if you can take 3 at once, do it.

i would love to land andre davis
flozell adams would be great, and some cb help

Hey can someone give me some info on Nate Jones of the Cowboys? I heard he was a young corner but dont know really anything else on him.

Back
Top Bottom