Asante? Hamlin? Faneca? Briggs? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante? Hamlin? Faneca? Briggs?

I would LOVE Asante (especially being a fellow UCF alum), but he may cost too much. I wouldn't mind spending a pretty penny on him though. It would be nice to have a shut-down corner that we can count on!

I'm not saying the skins cap is in good shape, but to say that there ways don't work, simply is inaccurate. They made the playoffs, we didn't.

It may be hellacious getting there salary cap numbers to jive, but it always works out. you could restructure contract extensions until hell won't have it, all your doing is shifting debt. I would say that is how most teams deal with it.

But they did make the playoffs, so to say retooling doesn't work, is false imo.

my previous post, is in no way an endorsement for our new FO to go out and sign every big name FA out there.

I'm just saying that we should be prepared to do both. To me there is nothing wrong with bringing in a big name on offense or defense to compliment the younger guys we have, and to show the ropes to the guys we draft.

We just simply can't have a bunch of 23 year olds out there, we'd get killed every week.

If you look back, parcells has turned around those teams he has been involved with in year two. He was coaching than though, it could be different just being upstairs.
We may not be talking a 4-5 year project here. It's debateable yes, but not a certainty.

I'm not saying the skins cap is in good shape, but to say that there ways don't work, simply is inaccurate. They made the playoffs, we didn't.

It may be hellacious getting there salary cap numbers to jive, but it always works out. you could restructure contract extensions until hell won't have it, all your doing is shifting debt. I would say that is how most teams deal with it.

But they did make the playoffs, so to say retooling doesn't work, is false imo.
That article was from a few years ago and was meant to point out the cap position that the Skins were in at the height of their wild spending. It doesn't necessarily reflect on how they are playing now. And it doesn't always work, some teams are forced to cut players in order to get themselves in a position to resign their own FA's.

my previous post, is in no way an endorsement for our new FO to go out and sign every big name FA out there.

I'm just saying that we should be prepared to do both. To me there is nothing wrong with bringing in a big name on offense or defense to compliment the younger guys we have, and to show the ropes to the guys we draft.

We just simply can't have a bunch of 23 year olds out there, we'd get killed every week.
Kinda like we were last year with aging players on both sides of the ball?

Look, I'm not proposing that we trot out a team filled with 23 year olds, but you have to give youth a chance to develop. I'm all for bringing in the right players via FA, I just don't see the wisdom of signing all the names that people have been throwing out there. I listed a few names in another thread that I thought were sensible signings, but they didn't include the Samuel's and the Haynesworth's of the FA market.

The only position that I wouldn't have a big problem with Miami spending some cash is NT. If a guy like Williams, Rogers or Jenkins were available and Miami was in position to get one of them, I'd say go for it. Our biggest problem last year was run defense, any one of those players would immediately imporve that area. But again, it has to be a sensible deal, which will be tough for us because there aren't many players that are willing to play for a 1-15 team, so we may have to overpay for FA's.

Word out of Dallas is that Ken Hamlin might get franchised.

That article was from a few years ago and was meant to point out the cap position that the Skins were in at the height of their wild spending. It doesn't necessarily reflect on how they are playing now. And it doesn't always work, some teams are forced to cut players in order to get themselves in a position to resign their own FA's.

Kinda like we were last year with aging players on both sides of the ball?

Look, I'm not proposing that we trot out a team filled with 23 year olds, but you have to give youth a chance to develop. I'm all for bringing in the right players via FA, I just don't see the wisdom of signing all the names that people have been throwing out there. I listed a few names in another thread that I thought were sensible signings, but they didn't include the Samuel's and the Haynesworth's of the FA market.

The only position that I wouldn't have a big problem with Miami spending some cash is NT. If a guy like Williams, Rogers or Jenkins were available and Miami was in position to get one of them, I'd say go for it. Our biggest problem last year was run defense, any one of those players would immediately imporve that area. But again, it has to be a sensible deal, which will be tough for us because there aren't many players that are willing to play for a 1-15 team, so we may have to overpay for FA's.

completely agree... If we are going to a 3-4 we absolutely have to have a NT.
this is why if we don't have one in place by the draft, I have to think we are taking dorsey. The 3-4 D starts with NT, without them the best DE's and LB's in the world are going to struggle. IF we do go into the draft without one, I can't see us passing on dorsey.

I would put it

dorsey
c long
j long
ryan

until FA is over, that is how I will have for now I think. You could probably switch the two longs, it's just a matter of preference I guess.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not put an average joe schmoe in at NT.

I trust sparano and parcells probably already know this.

No worries mate. It makes more sense to franchise Hamlin, who works so well in their defensive scheme and is young, than it does to put that tag on Flozell.

completely agree... If we are going to a 3-4 we absolutely have to have a NT.
this is why if we don't have one in place by the draft, I have to think we are taking dorsey. The 3-4 D starts with NT, without them the best DE's and LB's in the world are going to struggle. IF we do go into the draft without one, I can't see us passing on dorsey.

I would put it

dorsey
c long
j long
ryan

until FA is over, that is how I will have for now I think. You could probably switch the two longs, it's just a matter of preference I guess.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not put an average joe schmoe in at NT.

I trust sparano and parcells probably already know this.
We'll see how FA's shakes out, I'm sure that Parcells and Co. will make both the offensive and defensive lines a priority as well as the defense in general. As for the draft, I'm leaning towards Chris Long.

No worries mate. It makes more sense to franchise Hamlin, who works so well in their defensive scheme and is young, than it does to put that tag on Flozell.
Absolutely

Are the Cowboys any closer to deciding whether or not they will try to bring Adams back?

Absolutely

Are the Cowboys any closer to deciding whether or not they will try to bring Adams back?

I don't know mate. But I'd be pretty surprised considering the quality of the LT field in the draft combined with the Motel's age if he's franchised.

Absolutely

No they aren't interested in franchising Adams nemore and rather tag Hamlin like said before. They are willing to let Adams test the market and see how/what offers he gets but they took him off their Tag option.

No they aren't interested in franchising Adams nemore and rather tag Hamlin like said before. They are willing to let Adams test the market and see how/what offers he gets but they took him off their Tag option.
I understood that, I was wondering if they had any interest in him returning period.

Dallas Cowboys face decision on Adams

This is probably why it is better for the Cowboys to franchise Hamlin than Adams.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021508dnspoarcher.c16c9ad9.html
Cost: Here’s the trickiest part, because of Adams’ age and how much room — or lack thereof — the Cowboys have against the cap. According to NFL Players Association figures, the Cowboys have about $13 million in cap room. That does not include the $2.562 million they are preparing to tender to Marion Barber and the $2.017 million they are preparing for Chris Canty as restricted free agents.

It’s a fluid number, but the Cowboys should have about $8 million in room. To make Adams their franchise player, the Cowboys would have to restructure some players’ contracts (Tony Romo) or cut some players (Jason Ferguson? Terry Glenn?).

So what do the Cowboys do?

They can try to re-sign Adams to a long-term contract before free agency begins, but the age question comes into play. Do you pay a 33-year-old big bucks on a four- or five-year deal? Can they come up with a deal that would pay Adams $9 million this year but keep the cap figures in check for the future?

Back
Top Bottom