Asante? Hamlin? Faneca? Briggs? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante? Hamlin? Faneca? Briggs?

Samuel could very well be a product of NE's defense and not worth the money that he'll be seeking. I would rather sign Trufant if he hits the market or look to the draft which is very deep at CB. Signing big money FA's is not how you build a team that just went 1-15 IMO.

True, that's why rebuilding is a 2 or 3 year process. Even Parcells said that this isn't going to happen overnight.

Sure it would, you have to remember that we have to sign our draft picks (we might end up with a top 5 pick next year too) and our own FA's. Signing two high priced guys that won't put us in the playoffs is not a wise move. For us to get either player we would have to pay them even more than the ridiculous amount of money that they will already be looking for. Premier FA's don't want to go to a 1-15 team unless you really back up the Brinks truck for them.

do u recall that last year we signed all our picks with about 8 mill in cap sapec adn we had 3.8 or so left? HOW MUCH u think it takes dude? after the 1st pick the rest of em dont make jack. from a 1st to a 2nd ur talking millions in price diff u guys overreact like no tomorrrow its annoying already.

samuels i agree with, i think hes a product of the system to a degree hes my 3rd, as Asam and Trufant before Samuel but i doubt Asam hits the market unless pigs fly.

and if we go only via draft we are NOT 2 -3 yrs away from being a good team. thats 21 picks in 3 yrs, how many u think will pan out? lets say at lest 14 of em do, we still are missing 4 players on each side that isnt a scrub and depth. OBVIOUSLY he means 2-3 yrs with FA AND DRAFT. I DONO WHO ON EARTH on this FORUM thinks rebuilding is ONLY VIA draft and ntn good via FA. if u spend money in teh smart places like WILL ALLEN it pays off but when u spend it on a SHELTON it DOESNT pay off. its all about knowing how to EVALUATE talent. I have 10 mill to spend but i spend it on shelton u have 10 n u spend it on allen for example clearly u won in FA adn it was a good chioce. if BP and IRE can keep up iwht good signings such as the will allens and ken hamlins we can get somewehre thats why they are here n not wanny nemore or speilman.

do u recall that last year we signed all our picks with about 8 mill in cap sapec adn we had 3.8 or so left? HOW MUCH u think it takes dude? after the 1st pick the rest of em dont make jack. from a 1st to a 2nd ur talking millions in price diff u guys overreact like no tomorrrow its annoying already.
You're not taking into account that we may be picking in the top 5 for a few years, that's a pretty big salary that you have to add to your team and we might need to add 3 of them in the next 3 years. Then you have to consider the fact that you will hvae your own FA's to deal with and some FA's on the market that you want to acquire.

Blowing 40 mil in one offseason on guys that aren't going to get you to the playoffs this year is not good business sense. If there is a guy out there that is young and will be around for 5 or 6 years (Bryant Johnson) that will come at a decent price, you get him. But overpaying (which we will need to do to get top FA's to sign w/ a 1-15 team) for guys like Faneca, Adams, etc that are already in their 30's is not a wise decision.

samuels i agree with, i think hes a product of the system to a degree hes my 3rd, as Asam and Trufant before Samuel but i doubt Asam hits the market unless pigs fly.

and if we go only via draft we are NOT 2 -3 yrs away from being a good team. thats 21 picks in 3 yrs, how many u think will pan out? lets say at lest 14 of em do, we still are missing 4 players on each side that isnt a scrub and depth. OBVIOUSLY he means 2-3 yrs with FA AND DRAFT. I DONO WHO ON EARTH on this FORUM thinks rebuilding is ONLY VIA draft and ntn good via FA. if u spend money in teh smart places like WILL ALLEN it pays off but when u spend it on a SHELTON it DOESNT pay off. its all about knowing how to EVALUATE talent. I have 10 mill to spend but i spend it on shelton u have 10 n u spend it on allen for example clearly u won in FA adn it was a good chioce. if BP and IRE can keep up iwht good signings such as the will allens and ken hamlins we can get somewehre thats why they are here n not wanny nemore or speilman.
You guys are spinning what I'm saying. I have said that you build primarily through the draft, you build a solid foundation of young players and make wise FA acquisitions. You don't throw a ton of $$$ at every FA you can in the hopes of becoming a good team and add a draft pick here and there, that's what the Redskins tried to do and it doesn't work. That's retooling, we are rebuilding.

The Giants have 34 players on their team that have ONLY played for the Giants.

The Dolphins have 27. 14 are rookies. 10 of them will never be starting material. 1 is a punter, one is in his 30's. (taylor)

You guys are spinning what I'm saying. I have said that you build primarily through the draft, you build a solid foundation of young players and make wise FA acquisitions. You don't throw a ton of $$$ at every FA you can in the hopes of becoming a good team and add a draft pick here and there, that's what the Redskins tried to do and it doesn't work. That's retooling, we are rebuilding.

Building primarily through the draft and signing top free agents have nothing to do with eachother, they are mutually exclusive. I'm not following your logic. You can't be good without drafting well, that is a given. Doesn't do anything to devalue free agency. Signing a free agent doesn't cloud someone's judgement on draft day, or affect the evaluation of college players. Nobody brought up trading any picks. The draft has a larger talent pool, so naturally, it will have a larger effect on the roster.

I'm also hard pressed to figure out how can characterize someone as wanting to "throw a ton of $$$ at every FA in hopes of becoming a good team" by saying they want to sign one of the best CBs in the leauge, at a position we are weak in, in a division that has one of the most prolific passing offenses of all time.

Also, the Redskins suck not because the spend a lot of money, but because they spend on the wrong players. Their talent evaluation has been among the worst in the league. Money become a moot point if you are signing players that do not perform.

You also need to realize that because we drafted so poorly from 98-03, we do not have many players that will need to be resigned. We have A LOT of cap room for a LONG TIME.

I don't think Asante Samuel will be worth what his new team pays him. He's perfect for the Patriots scheme, but if he goes to another team and has to adapt to a new scheme, I believe he won't be as effective (see Jason David in New Orleans). I'd like to see Marcus Trufant in Miami as well as either Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aqib Talib, Aveion Cason, Dwight Lowery or Terrell Thomas. We need so much help on D that it's not even funny!

Building primarily through the draft and signing top free agents have nothing to do with eachother, they are mutually exclusive. I'm not following your logic. You can't be good without drafting well, that is a given. Doesn't do anything to devalue free agency. Signing a free agent doesn't cloud someone's judgement on draft day, or affect the evaluation of college players. Nobody brought up trading any picks. The draft has a larger talent pool, so naturally, it will have a larger effect on the roster.

I'm also hard pressed to figure out how can characterize someone as wanting to "throw a ton of $$$ at every FA in hopes of becoming a good team" by saying they want to sign one of the best CBs in the leauge, at a position we are weak in, in a division that has one of the most prolific passing offenses of all time.

Also, the Redskins suck not because the spend a lot of money, but because they spend on the wrong players. Their talent evaluation has been among the worst in the league. Money become a moot point if you are signing players that do not perform.

You also need to realize that because we drafted so poorly from 98-03, we do not have many players that will need to be resigned. We have A LOT of cap room for a LONG TIME.

great to see a poster that knows something outside of the "this isn't madden" stuff. very refreshing! :beer1:

I don't think Asante Samuel will be worth what his new team pays him. He's perfect for the Patriots scheme, but if he goes to another team and has to adapt to a new scheme, I believe he won't be as effective (see Jason David in New Orleans). I'd like to see Marcus Trufant in Miami as well as either Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aqib Talib, Aveion Cason, Dwight Lowery or Terrell Thomas. We need so much help on D that it's not even funny!

How is Samuel perfect for the Patriot's scheme, but not ours. Our coaches will ask him to do the same thing the Pats coaches did. If anything, your argument is applicable to Trufant.

I would really like to see how you reached the conclusion that Samuel would have to adapt, but Trufant would not.

we want younger. I say Max Starks at left tackle. Move Carey back to Left guard. Keep satele at center. pay rex for right guard and pick up jake Long for right tackle. Our OLine will be Big, young, and less expensive than picking up adams and faneca

As far as asante, hes a tremendous athlete that played extraordinarily well in the system he was in. Unless we are gonna be copying that defense I say we dont want to bother paying him what he thinks hes worth

You obviously aren't familiar with the rebuilding process (What Dolphins fan would, considering our history), it doesn't involve signing big ticket FA's from day 1. You build through the draft and only bring in young FA's that will be around for 5+ years or 2nd and 3rd tier vets that will fill a need until a young player is ready to take over. After 2 or 3 years of building and growth you can go out and spend the big bucks to put yourself over the top.

Going out and signing the top FA's in the class in year 1 of a rebuild would be considered retooling, that rarely works.

Read post #2 of this thread.

Not only that, but there are endless threads here where people feel that we can trade for every player that becomes available. I've seen trade proposals that supposedly would bring us Barber, Anderson and Ocho, and I can pull the quotes if you like.

People are letting the Parcells hire cloud their judgment on just how long this will take, they see a big name brought in to work in the FO and they automatically assume that means we will be good overnight. Parcells himself said that this is going to be a process, his history shows that he isn't a big spender in his first year at his new stops or even in general. He builds through the draft and brings in quality vets, not overpriced big name FA's.

As for CB, this is a very deep draft at the CB position. You can get a 1st round talent (in any other year) in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. I've got my fingers crossed that Rogers-Cromartie lasts until our 2nd rounder.

So if Asante and Briggs are the product of the system in which they currently play.....and we go out and sign them to big money contracts.....then we put them in a new system and surround them with players that aren't as talented as their former team.....wouldn't that kind of lead you to believe that they wouldn't be as good in Miami and that would be a ridiculous waste of money? Wouldn't that be doing the exact same thing that Washington did for so many years?

Not true at all, unless of course we do what I propose and spend our money wisely. Carey will be coming up soon, Ronnie will too, Ricky might be resigned if he performs well enough, Roth will be coming up soon, and on top of all of that we will need to replace the players that will retire, leave via FA, players whose play warrants an extension (Beck) or just positions that need to be upgraded. We will have to deal with all of those things over the next 2 or 3 years, no reason to blow our cap now for a "quick fix".

Trufant is the real deal!

I say he will be our 1st free agant, we need some corners that can cover! bring back Lehan too, and draft Chris Long or Dorsey depending where we are in the draft, try to trade the 1st pick and slide down 2-3
nothchs and pcik Long (either one)

like2god... I agree with alot of what you are saying. I would say probably 90% or so.

Here are some things that perhaps we just won't ever agree on.

1. I don't know for sure but, being in the top five doesn't necessarily mean we may be there for the next handful of years. I realize you are partly speculating on that front, but I think the turnaround in the nfl is quicker than you give it credit for. I am also taking into account that we lost what, six games by ten or less. With mediocre talent, and questionable coaching. shoulda, woulda, coulda, but you never know.

2.quote.."You obviously aren't familiar with the rebuilding process (What Dolphins fan would, considering our history), it doesn't involve signing big ticket FA's from day 1. You build through the draft and only bring in young FA's that will be around for 5+ years or 2nd and 3rd tier vets that will fill a need until a young player is ready to take over. After 2 or 3 years of building and growth you can go out and spend the big bucks to put yourself over the top. "

to me, you are assuming that all of these young draft picks are going to project well into the nfl. I believe that as many as half of them may fail, or find success elsewhere. IMO.. you absolutely Have to bring in established talent in the FA pool. what good do 2-4 year vets do us if they are average talent, but inexpensive. Being young is fine, and I'm all for that, however, some guys (bryant johnson) in particular have proven absolutely nothing thus far. Yeah, he will more than likely be cheap but 40 catches a year and a couple td's is average imo.
Hearing that we will be a run heavy team in the first place, we may as well draft a WR in the middle rounds somewhere.

Building through the draft and bringing in young unestablished FA, will leave us in limbo at best imo. WE need top shelf players, we have the pats in our division. If we have mediocre talent, we will barely make the wild card. Even over the next four years, if we don't beat the pats and win the division, were no better off than we are now.

other than that, I think we are close to in agreement.

Not you... but too many people on here think that if we are $40 mil under the cap and we have to spend $30 mil on the #1 pick that we are in cap trouble. The cap is complex and is quite hard to understand, I am also of the opinion that we SHOULD be in good shap for the forseeable future.

like2god... I agree with alot of what you are saying. I would say probably 90% or so.

Here are some things that perhaps we just won't ever agree on.

1. I don't know for sure but, being in the top five doesn't necessarily mean we may be there for the next handful of years. I realize you are partly speculating on that front, but I think the turnaround in the nfl is quicker than you give it credit for. I am also taking into account that we lost what, six games by ten or less. With mediocre talent, and questionable coaching. shoulda, woulda, coulda, but you never know.
Now also take into account the fact that the team will be learning yet another new playbook, the defense is changing and we need to find the right players to fit that which will take more than one offseason. Remember that we just released Zach and the bleeding isn't finished, there will be more cuts. We have to decide what to do with Hadnot, who will be looking for a huge payday. This is going to be a young and inexperienced team and it will take some time for these players to develop.

to me, you are assuming that all of these young draft picks are going to project well into the nfl. I believe that as many as half of them may fail, or find success elsewhere. IMO.. you absolutely Have to bring in established talent in the FA pool. what good do 2-4 year vets do us if they are average talent, but inexpensive. Being young is fine, and I'm all for that, however, some guys (bryant johnson) in particular have proven absolutely nothing thus far. Yeah, he will more than likely be cheap but 40 catches a year and a couple td's is average imo.
Hearing that we will be a run heavy team in the first place, we may as well draft a WR in the middle rounds somewhere.
No, not at all. That's why I keep stressing that this is not going to happen overnight and that it is a 2 or 3 year process at best.

Bryant Johnson plays behind 2 of the best WR's in the game today, looking at his numbers and comparing them with some of the best WR in the league would be misleading. Your #3 WR will not put up the same type of numbers that your #1 WR does, unless you are the Patriots. The kid is young, he's big, he runs great routes and has very good hands, I don't see anything not to like. Personally I think he is better than Berrian. He would be a very nice addition to the offense and hopefully would flourish in the starting role.

With that said, this draft is also very deep at WR and we should pick one up at some point. I think the draft is going to focus mainly on the OL and DL as well as defense.

Building through the draft and bringing in young unestablished FA, will leave us in limbo at best imo. WE need top shelf players, we have the pats in our division. If we have mediocre talent, we will barely make the wild card. Even over the next four years, if we don't beat the pats and win the division, were no better off than we are now.
We're not going to compete with the Pats this year, that shouldn't even cross our minds at this point. All we should be concerned with is building a solid foundation. Playoffs are not realistic IMO, for a team that just went 1-15 and is starting over (basically what we're doing), it will take a few years to get back to that level.

It's going to be tough, there are sure to be plenty of growing pains, but as Parcells has demonstrated time and time again, it's worth the wait.

other than that, I think we are close to in agreement.

Not you... but too many people on here think that if we are $40 mil under the cap and we have to spend $30 mil on the #1 pick that we are in cap trouble. The cap is complex and is quite hard to understand, I am also of the opinion that we SHOULD be in good shap for the forseeable future.
We won't be in good shape if we try to retool, that's what we've tried to do for so long. For too many years we have tried to patch the holes as they sprung up, the only problem is they were popping up faster than we could patch them and it finally caught up to us in the form of a 1-15 season.

I honestly think (the best case scenerio) we are in for a 4-5 win season. Let the flaming begin!

4-5 wins is realistic imo... 6-8 is optimistic.

no doubt it is going to take time.

with the OL cuts, and the thomas thing... which by the way, I have a new post, chime in if you haven't already... thanks..

OL... now I have to start from scratch and include jake long in the discussion again.
No matter who we take this year, there will be argument both for and against it being a reach.

the picture should be a bit clearer after FA signings though.

gonna have to trust parcells and co.

I've said it time and time again...

Not true at all, unless of course we do what I propose and spend our money wisely. Carey will be coming up soon, Ronnie will too, Ricky might be resigned if he performs well enough, Roth will be coming up soon, and on top of all of that we will need to replace the players that will retire, leave via FA, players whose play warrants an extension (Beck) or just positions that need to be upgraded. We will have to deal with all of those things over the next 2 or 3 years, no reason to blow our cap now for a "quick fix".

Your fear of 'salary cap hell' is dumbfounding. How many teams in the league have issues with the salary cap. Teams have issues with payroll because they have cheap owners. The salary cap is going up faster than teams can keep up with. Every team aside from the Washington Redskins is under the salary cap for next year. Nobody NEEDS to cut any players. The market is saturated, so you will pay more money. But the salary cap ramifactions will always be the same. Its simple economics. Carey is going to be asking for the same amount of money in 2-3 years. The Redskins, which are the most extreme example you can use, are only about 7mil over the cap right now. They will cut Brandon Lloyd, Shawn Springs, and maybe one other, and will be back UNDER the cap. They will definitely be going after one of the 3 available CBs.

Keep in mind, the Redskins are an extreme example. We are talking about the Dolphins signing a CB in his prime. The Redskins signed players like Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith (mid 30s). Its the equivolent of a team throwing a lot of money at Zach.

I am not aware of a situation in which the Redskins' salary cap has not allowed them to fill a hole or impact their drafting somehow. They are the most extreme example, and you will be hard pressed to find a situation in which their wild spending really effected anything other than Dan Snyder's pocket.

If Wayne wants our payroll under $116 mil, then thats a whole different story. I hope that isn't the case thoguh.

There are, however, valid concerns when signing free agents

So if Asante and Briggs are the product of the system in which they currently play.....and we go out and sign them to big money contracts.....then we put them in a new system and surround them with players that aren't as talented as their former team.....wouldn't that kind of lead you to believe that they wouldn't be as good in Miami and that would be a ridiculous waste of money? Wouldn't that be doing the exact same thing that Washington did for so many years?

Big IF here. And if you want to argue that Samuel is a product of his system, then atleast say why. Its a legitimate argument you can make, but such a broad statement isn't very convincing. Personally, i look for two things in players; toughness and smarts. Samuel has both. What the Patriots asked of their CBs is going to be pretty much the same as we would. He is just a good all around football player.

I'm not going to debate over labels like 'rebuilding' and 'retooling'. Just arguing semantics. I believe you are always BUILDING. Constantly. Every off season you have to improve, because other teams are. You don't stand pat.

So long as you draft well, you will always have a good team. Regardless of what mistakes you make in free agency. Whatever you do in free agency is supplementary.

Your fear of 'salary cap hell' is dumbfounding. How many teams in the league have issues with the salary cap. Teams have issues with payroll because they have cheap owners. The salary cap is going up faster than teams can keep up with. Every team aside from the Washington Redskins is under the salary cap for next year. Nobody NEEDS to cut any players. The market is saturated, so you will pay more money. But the salary cap ramifactions will always be the same. Its simple economics. Carey is going to be asking for the same amount of money in 2-3 years. The Redskins, which are the most extreme example you can use, are only about 7mil over the cap right now. They will cut Brandon Lloyd, Shawn Springs, and maybe one other, and will be back UNDER the cap. They will definitely be going after one of the 3 available CBs.

Keep in mind, the Redskins are an extreme example. We are talking about the Dolphins signing a CB in his prime. The Redskins signed players like Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith (mid 30s). Its the equivolent of a team throwing a lot of money at Zach.
There are ways to work around the cap, but you only have so much money to spend. We have 40 mil now, but if we spend it all now we won't have 40 mil next year when a new batch of FA's become available. We will be hard pressed to resign player and sign new players, the dodging that some teams do with the cap eventually catches up to them. We are starting over with a clean slate, why handicap ourselves by making the cap an issue?

I am not aware of a situation in which the Redskins' salary cap has not allowed them to fill a hole or impact their drafting somehow. They are the most extreme example, and you will be hard pressed to find a situation in which their wild spending really effected anything other than Dan Snyder's pocket.
Well, their spending only left them 2.5 mil under the cap in '06 (Washington Post). How many top level players can you get with that wad of cash?

Then there's this from the Washington Post from a few years ago on Washington's cap situation.

After another offseason of lavish spending on free agents, the Washington Redskins have assembled the highest-paid team in NFL history, leading officials with several NFL teams to predict that Coach Joe Gibbs has a two-year window to win a fourth Super Bowl before facing a salary cap crisis that would force him to jettison many of his best players.

Officials around the NFL are watching the developments in Washington with interest, several of them said, as Redskins owner Daniel Snyder pushes the boundaries of the salary cap, the annual limit on the amount each team can spend on salaries and bonuses, by deferring payments until the out-years of players' contracts.

Yet, several officials from other NFL clubs who have looked at Washington's salary structure said they believe the bills on the Redskins' offseason spending will come due sooner than the Washington front office predicts.

"To me what they're saying is they are banking on really winning in the next two years," said an executive who manages the salary cap for one NFL club, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "They just aren't going to be able to keep all those guys, they really aren't. There's nothing wrong with building for a run to the Super Bowl, but you're only kidding yourself to say you're not going to suffer the consequences of overextending in the free agent market. It's mathematically impossible."
What Washington and other teams that try to skirt the cap do is they sign players to front loaded deals and pay high priced FA's "roster bonuses" that will be payed out 2 or 3 years down the road. Well, sooner or later those bonuses count against the cap even if a player is no longer with the team.

Doing that type of thing is risky and for a team that feels that they are in a "win now" mode it might be an option. But that isn't what the Miami Dolphins are about, we are a rebuilding team and the playoffs aren't even realistic at this point.

Big IF here. And if you want to argue that Samuel is a product of his system, then atleast say why. Its a legitimate argument you can make, but such a broad statement isn't very convincing. Personally, i look for two things in players; toughness and smarts. Samuel has both. What the Patriots asked of their CBs is going to be pretty much the same as we would. He is just a good all around football player.
Okay

There is no doubt that Asante is a good player, but he seems to be more of a product of NE's defense and overall talent and he may not be able to produce the same way in another location. Part of what makes New England such a tough team to play is that they switch up their coverages. Instead of playing a standard 3/4, they will throw different looks at you in order to confuse you. Sometimes they play zone, sometimes they play cover 2, etc and that helps to confuse the offense leading to turnovers. Asante has been on the receiving end of alot of those turnovers the past few years, but is it him or is it the system?

Also the Dolphins want CB's that are good against the run, one of the things that makes Will Allen a very good CB for us is the fact that he is good in run support. As far as Asante goes, he just isn't that good.

Then you need to consider that he is more concerned with $$$ than with the team concept. That's one of the things that Pats fans have been pointing out for well over a year now. Little known fact, but he has a tattoo on his arm that translates to "Get Payed". I would feel much better about him if he had a tattoo on his arm that translated to "Play Hard".

I'm not going to debate over labels like 'rebuilding' and 'retooling'. Just arguing semantics. I believe you are always BUILDING. Constantly. Every off season you have to improve, because other teams are. You don't stand pat.
Absolutely, but when you tear down the structure to start over, that's rebuilding. When you try to add big names on the fly in the hopes of winning now (like the Redskins) that's retooling. They are two different approaches that give two different results.

So long as you draft well, you will always have a good team. Regardless of what mistakes you make in free agency. Whatever you do in free agency is supplementary.
Not true, there are cap concerns to consider.

Say we sign Samuel, Adams and Faneca to a big 5 year contracts (not out of the realm of possiblity that they are looking for 5 year deals). 2 years from now we have to cut Adams because of his age and declining abilities because we can't justify paying him the amount of money he is slated to make. Then a year after that we have to do the same thing with Faneca. So in 3 years we lose 2 of the 3 players that we sign this offseason, the only thing is we don't lose that signing bonus money against the cap. Even though we won't have those two players going into year 4, they will still count against our cap and reduce the amount of money that we will have to spend in FA and resigning our own players. That scenerio doesn't even take into account resigning Carey to a big deal, resigning Ronnie, signing our rookies who may be top 5 picks for the next 2 or 3 years or acquiring more players via FA between now and that hypothetical year 4.

If you do that often enough, you find yourself in cap hell very quickly.

If there are any cap guys out there that can add to this or correct me, feel free.

Back
Top Bottom