Asante Samuel not happy | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante Samuel not happy

Another team is going to have to compensate the Patriots with at least two draft picks and at least one of them is going to be a first-round pick, then that team is going to have to give Asante Samuel a big dollar contract. Name me one player in the NFL that was tagged and sat out it wasn't Deion Branch?

Two draft choices is a far cry from Two #1 draft choices, and giving up a pick(s) and a big contract is a given. The other teams know this going in.

Deion Branch was not a free agent that was tagged. He was in the fifth year of his rookie contract that was scheduled to pay him $1.045 mil. in 2006, not anywhere near the guaranteed $8 mil. that Samuel would be leaving on the table. Secondly, to undermine your point further, it was the Patriots who apparently refused to trade him till they extracted exactly what THEY wanted from another team. Branch filed a grievance against the Patriots because it was claimed the Patriots turned down fair trade offers for Branch in an attempt to extract more from trade partners. Receiver is obviously a position the Pats think they can plug in and play, they don't value the position highly. That is not the case with cornerbacks. The Patriots aren't going to let Samuel go for less then a mint in compensation.
They got the 24th pick in the draft for Branch, what do you think they'd get for Samuel, and who is going to pay it? Don't hold your breath.
Yes, Branch was not a FA but like Asante, he was not happy with his current situation. This will sound crazy to the average working man but 8 mil on the table is below his market worth. Just like the deal ne offered Branch.

The pats got what they wanted? Really? Another title vs whatever player they select at 24 this year? "Receiver is obviously a position the Pats think they can plug in and play, they don't value the position highly."
And it obviously blew up in their faces, so who's to say the same thing won't happen?

"The Patriots aren't going to let Samuel go for less then a mint in compensation."
What do you consider a mint? Again, no team will surrender two #1s. As long as there's the Joneses, Snyders, Davises etc, someone will always pay.

Your value judgement aside, Darius was one of the five best safeties in the league. He was tagged 3 straight years. Everybody said the Jags were going to cut him loose after they signed Deon Grant a few years ago, because they couldn't tie up all that money at one position, yadda, yadda. He was that valuable to the team. He played chicken, and lost. And if you don't think Darius had many other choices, try Walter Jones, maybe the best left tackle in the game was tagged three straight years by the Seahawks, then he gave up and signed the long-term deal. Are you going to tell us Jones had no value on the market either so he just went along because he didn't have better options?

And by the way, you're simply incorrect about the new franchise rule that goes into effect next year. The rule states that a team can franchise a player two years in a row and pay the average of the top five at the position, but if they attempt to do it a third-year in a row, they must pay the top five average of all positions, quarterback money. This wouldn't apply to Samuel in any case because if he refuses to sign the tender and he sits out, he is then subject to the franchise tag not one more time, but two more times because the tag only counts when the player accepts the tender and plays. The Patriots can tag Samuel again next year even if he accepts this year's tender, and still pay him the average at CB, it won't be until 2009 when they're obligated to give him quarterback money, which they will not. So you were saying about Samuel's leverage? Or Briggs's for that matter? They don't have any, that's why they're whining in the press.
I already told you how I felt about DD and I know I'm not alone. Safety is not a traditional premium position like Corner.

As far as Walter Jones goes Young Franchise LTs are never let go and besides there clearly was no ill feelings between the two parties. At least not to the extent of "trade me or else." When did Jones indicate he was hellbent on leaving SEA? The pats situation will probably get uglier in that regard.

I stand corrected about the three years in a row but my point is a franchise can not afford to tag a player out of spite because they may jeopardize their ability to retain another talented player who's contract might be up. So on the surface teams may have leverage but in actuality, it is the top player who decides his fate if played right.

I don't know why I'm going on and on about a pats player but I guess what's bad for ne is good for my Phins. :dolphins::dolphins::dolphins:

Today's Boston Globe:

April 05, 2007
Samuel options

With cornerback Asante Samuel publicly stating that contract negotiations with the Patriots aren't proceeding to his liking, here are five possibilities of where things could head from here:
BACK WHERE WE STARTED OPTION
Samuel signs the one-year, $7.79 million tender offer for franchise cornerbacks and plays for the Patriots.
The thinking: At the end of the day, it will be hard to pass up that money after Samuel made a total of about $2 million over his first four seasons.
THE HOLDOUT OPTION
Samuel holds out. He could return in Week 10 to earn another accrued season toward free agency.
The thinking: Samuel avoids the risk of injury for most of the season, while rolling the dice that the Patriots wouldn't place the franchise tag on him in 2008. By holding out, he also could force the Patriots' hand to trade him.
MEETING AT THE 50-YARD LINE OPTION
Samuel lowers his current contract demands, while the Patriots up their current offer and the sides reach an extension.
The thinking: In the end, both sides win, as Samuel gets more guaranteed money and the Patriots lock up a rising young player. Another compromise option is Samuel signing the franchise tender if the Patriots agree not to place the franchise tag on him in 2008.
THE DEION BRANCH OPTION
Samuel is shipped out of town as part of a trade.
The thinking: Samuel could yield a valuable chip such a first-round draft pick, and the team that acquires him would sign him to the big contract he desires.
THE UNEXPECTED OPTION
The Patriots could play the leverage card, and remove the franchise tag, making Samuel a free agent at a time when teams have spent their big money.
The thinking: If the Patriots are convinced that Samuel would hold out and create a distraction, they could simply set him free, potentially costing him millions of dollars depending on the timing. That would also serve as a reminder for players in the same situation in future years.
FINAL ANALYSIS: In the end, our hunch is that Samuel will sign the one-year tender and play for the Patriots. The deadline for an extension is July 15.

Today's Boston Globe:

April 05, 2007
Samuel options

With cornerback Asante Samuel publicly stating that contract negotiations with the Patriots aren't proceeding to his liking, here are five possibilities of where things could head from here:
BACK WHERE WE STARTED OPTION
Samuel signs the one-year, $7.79 million tender offer for franchise cornerbacks and plays for the Patriots.
The thinking: At the end of the day, it will be hard to pass up that money after Samuel made a total of about $2 million over his first four seasons.
THE HOLDOUT OPTION
Samuel holds out. He could return in Week 10 to earn another accrued season toward free agency.
The thinking: Samuel avoids the risk of injury for most of the season, while rolling the dice that the Patriots wouldn't place the franchise tag on him in 2008. By holding out, he also could force the Patriots' hand to trade him.
MEETING AT THE 50-YARD LINE OPTION
Samuel lowers his current contract demands, while the Patriots up their current offer and the sides reach an extension.
The thinking: In the end, both sides win, as Samuel gets more guaranteed money and the Patriots lock up a rising young player. Another compromise option is Samuel signing the franchise tender if the Patriots agree not to place the franchise tag on him in 2008.
THE DEION BRANCH OPTION
Samuel is shipped out of town as part of a trade.
The thinking: Samuel could yield a valuable chip such a first-round draft pick, and the team that acquires him would sign him to the big contract he desires.
THE UNEXPECTED OPTION
The Patriots could play the leverage card, and remove the franchise tag, making Samuel a free agent at a time when teams have spent their big money.
The thinking: If the Patriots are convinced that Samuel would hold out and create a distraction, they could simply set him free, potentially costing him millions of dollars depending on the timing. That would also serve as a reminder for players in the same situation in future years.
FINAL ANALYSIS: In the end, our hunch is that Samuel will sign the one-year tender and play for the Patriots. The deadline for an extension is July 15.

Thanks COHIBA jared.
IMO if Samuel sticks to his guns he's gone.

We will not give up draft picks for this guy. If we've learned anything from this off season, it's that we are here to GAIN picks, not give them out for products of a SYSTEM like Samuel is...

Sorry Mari0k I didn't mean to lump all Miami fans together. It gets me when people make BS statements like "The pats treat their players like crap". All the teams have to work under the same cap and when one player gets too high price the time comes to move them because they are the ones that will kill a teams chances to stay competetive down the line. All teams have had to make those types of decisions and the real trick is to be able to have talent enough to replace them without hurting the overall team. I think if the past has showed us anything the Pats have made those tough choices and still been able to still be there to contend. If you look at Samuel honestly he's a good CB but not a great CB, hasn't been to 1 pro bowl and as I've said in his 4 yrs with the Pats he had one really good season but now he thinks he's worth an $80 mil contract. I'd like us to keep him but only if he can settle for a fair contract. If all that matters to him now is Clemments money then I would rather he hits the road.
It's all good..i fel you..)) I know wut i mean..not all the fans are the same..you dont have to like the team..but dont hate all the ppl whoassociaed with the team (heck, most of my firends are pats fans..im cool with that..i just dunt like them on game day..plus i dont really c patties as our rivals..jets and bills arivals..pats is a team hat happens to be in hte same division..yall got he colts 2 have a rival..) Evne thogh if you will ask Brady, he will tell u otherwise..he does not enjoy playing miami (Stats say it all...)
now on topic..even thogh i agree with a lot of things that you say..i dont agree on the fact hat Samuel is not a GREAT corner..i hink he is..You cant be just averege, good corner and lead he League in Picks and and passes defedet. Looks at aplayer like westbook..he has never bin to a oprobowl..bu he is an amiaizing player...heck, Tommy boi didint make it o da probwol this year..(i vote for him ;) Him n manning) That dosent change the fact that he is an amaizing QB, who can even make one left handed catches..and then throwing for trouchdowns that gt called back (ssry..;)) I am a fin fan..had to do i..)) But siriously..pro bowl doesnt neccesary show u the caliber of the player. Westbrook, Bady, Samuel..heck! Sapp didint mak pro bwol..he had more sacks than any oher DT..Vonnie Holliday! He let all ineio dlineman in tackles..he idint make it to the pro bowl.

Some of you guys would do well to step into the real world for just a minute.
I can't believe some of you are insinuating that the Pats somehow treat their players any differently than every other team treats their own players. If anything the Pats' success in recent years has given some of their players an inflated opinion of their worth.
What did we do when Surtain's contract was up and it became evident that he was going to ask for that top dollar contract? How about McMichael? He was due a big bonus this year and we cut him before we had to pay it. There have been others, too. We've been down for the past few years so it's not quite so noticeable when it happens. Plus two of our best and most liked players: Taylor and Thomas have been willing time and again to restructure their contracts.

Guys who leave the patriots should be happy. David patten got big money from the skins, never heard from him again. Remember the great damien woody that we all wanted when he was an FA. Hes an out of shape slob who helped detroit pick in the top 10 every year, and now may be cut. Milloy-when was the last time you heard his name. They sign the players they know who are special and get rid of players they know can e replaced. They lost law, got samual, will lose samual and one of the 1st rounders will replace him. Look at their roster over the years, their Oline is almost completely different. The team is younger then it was when they won their 1st SB. Every year we say Pats are going down, then they keep going. If they lose a bunch of players every one says its the end for them that they cant replace those players, then they end up in the AFCCG. Then they sign players and everyone says their ruining ther cap.

Here is what it is looking like for Samual....

Patriots | Team talks trade with Redskins
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 11:54:32 -0700
Albert Breer, of the Boston Herald, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl">New England Patriots have been rumored to have been talking about a trade with the Washington Redskins, which would ship the Patriots 28th pick and CB Asante Samuel to the Redskins for the sixth overall pick. This would allow the Patriots to draft Louisiana State S LaRon Landry, an impact player who would be ready to start on the season opener

Here is what it is looking like for Samual....

Patriots | Team talks trade with Redskins
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 11:54:32 -0700
Albert Breer, of the Boston Herald, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl">New England Patriots have been rumored to have been talking about a trade with the Washington Redskins, which would ship the Patriots 28th pick and CB Asante Samuel to the Redskins for the sixth overall pick. This would allow the Patriots to draft Louisiana State S LaRon Landry, an impact player who would be ready to start on the season opener

Would not be pleased at all seeing the dark side get Landry or Nelson. The Pats are savvy and shrewd I give them that. Hope Samuel does become a headache for them as I wish nothing other than their talent level either drops or there are distractions to deal with. Landry or Nelson on that defense combined with AT's acquisition will make that D scarier than it already is.

Bye Bye Asante. He'll never get that in NE. My guess is either NE works out a trade with Washington or Asante agrees to play out the season under the franchise tag with an agreement he won't be tagged after next season.

I got a feeling it's going to be like Branch and the Patsies will have 2 1st round picks again next year.

Back
Top Bottom