Asante Samuel not happy | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante Samuel not happy

Every player that gets the franchise tag spouts about being "unhappy".

There is no way in hell the Patriots would trade him in the division for anything less then a first round pick.

Although they appear set at cornerback, the Redskins are expected to call New England about Asante Samuel, who expressed disappointment about not getting a long-term contract and would be open to a trade.
-- Washington Times

Being able to snag Asante Samuel would be a dream come true. Unfortuntely, this isn't Monopoly money...no way we could afford him). Here's to hoping he just hates New England and wants out.

Although they appear set at cornerback, the Redskins are expected to call New England about Asante Samuel, who expressed disappointment about not getting a long-term contract and would be open to a trade.
-- Washington Times

While I can't imagine it would be only for their first round #6 pick (they might be able to get more), can you imagine if NE gets another first round pick (especially and early one) this year. Especially after a pretty agressive off-season so far, to get 3 first round picks would just be nasty. Not sure they would want to pay the $$ for 3 first round picks out of the draft though. Could you imagine what we could do with the #6 pick, and two late round first rounders. I hope this really doesn't happen, but it is the Redskins, so anything is possible. Looks like the rich will keep on getting richer. :tantrum:

hes a great young corner and i think it would be wise to jump all over him.

My first choice is to keep him but if we do trade him I wouldn't accept anything less than a first rounder. If that happens, hello LaRon Landry of Patrick Willis!

"Desperate to find something negative? There is plenty to find without having to be desperate.The Patriots seem to treat their players except Brady like crap.

Really how do you figure that by not handing then the keys to the safe? I think your statement is a lot of crap. I don't think putting 3 SB rings on some of these guys fingers is such bad treatment obviously you do. Neither Belichick or Pioli are going to take the team into cap hell for any player that you can count on. Samuel deserves a big pay day indeed but certainly not Clemments kind of money. If you look at it realistically he had a good season...1 good season and funny how it came in his last season before FA now isn't it. If you want to play and get a very decent pay day plus have the chance to play for championships then NE is the place to be. If all you care about is money then better off going somewhere else. You should know it wasn't that long ago Miami cut 2 very very good CB's....hows that for treating their players like crap. Cap cuts happen to almost every single team in the league today, its the reason we got A Thomas and you guys got J Porter, its life in the nfl get used to it.

I'm sure there are a few players who might have strong disagreement with your viewpoint on NE's player treatment...

Drew Bledsoe
Lawyer Milloy
David Givens
Deion Branch
Ted Johnson
Ty Law

Each for different reasons. But, for the most part, NE uses players to get the most out of them and when the time comes to repay them.... they cut them, trade them and move on. It's disrespectful the way they "reward" their players.

And by the way, NE didn't "give" their players Super Bowl rings.... the PLAYERS EARNED it.

I'm sure there are a few players who might have strong disagreement with your viewpoint on NE's player treatment...

Drew Bledsoe
Lawyer Milloy
David Givens
Deion Branch
Ted Johnson
Ty Law

Each for different reasons. But, for the most part, NE uses players to get the most out of them and when the time comes to repay them.... they cut them, trade them and move on. It's disrespectful the way they "reward" their players.

And by the way, NE didn't "give" their players Super Bowl rings.... the PLAYERS EARNED it.

So you really believe that neither Belichick or Pioli was as resonpsible for those rings as the players? If thats the case you are fooling your self. As for the players listed they haven't been any more mistreated than Miami has done to some of their players. Your two pro bowl CB's aced because they weren't cap friendly anymore and how about the way Marino was treated?
Bledsoe was released from the team because he asked to be. Why because he didn't want to be a back up but the sad fact was Kraft awaded him a big fat contract before Belichick arrived and he flat out wasn't worth the money especially as a backup nor was he capable of leading the team to a championship. Both Buffalo and dallas proved out that conclusion. Milloy had realistically lost a step yet you expect the pats to pay him top dollar when he was no longer a top player yet they offered him the same money as Harrison to stay. Harrison's ego got the best of him and he asked for his release and was given it. Yeah tell me all about loyality. Well if thats how you would manage your cap space good luck ever winning any thing. Givens was offered an off the wall contract in Tenn and ended up only playing a couple of games before hitting the injuried out list and frankly he wasn't worth the contract Tenn gave him even if he had stayed healthy,(much the same as most of you say about Welker who was you team leading WR last season who I might add didn't receive much loyality for his efforts) Branch was offered a fair contract in NE but let a POS agent lead him down the road of no return. He misses NE and I'm sure if Branch had the chance to do it all over again he'd have fired that agent and signed in NE. By the way Branch was one of the players Stallworth talked to for an opinion about signing in NE for less money than he had been offered in Tenn and guess what Branch told him...Sign in NE its a great place to play. Ted Johnson played after sustaining many concussions and many he never told anyone about so don't be so quick to lay that all onto Belichick. And last but not least Ty Law who made plenty of money here in NE, walked away with 3 rings for his efforts and if he's managed any of that molah he'll never have to work after retirement. He played well and was payed well and he played up to the end of his contract in NE. NE doesn't treat their players any worse than the rest of the league and if you play well you get paid well but don't try and come off like Miami pays its players big bucks after their skills have declined. If you ran a team by over paying players past their prime because they played well in the past but in the present they don't get it done anymore than you will be a fan of a losing team. Get real will ya its life in the Big Leagues and being a sport you don't get moved up to some cushy job when you get along in your years. Every player has a shelf life in the NFL and they know it. You look at 6 players and come to your bogus conclusion but there are many players who looked at the big picture like Brady, Bruschi, Brown along with many others who although could have probably got more money somewhere else know they make dam good money in NE AND are with a HC and GM that plan to be a contender yr after yr. They have had players sign on for less then they could get else where because (even though this though escapes you) they want to win first and foremost. I know its hard for you to comprehand but not all players are only about the money and thats a perk that a winning team gets. A thomas, Stallworth, Washington, all could have got a bigger payday elsewhere but wanted to be here for 1 reason to win a championship. If you hate the pats are frustrated or jealous then just come out and say it but don't just throw BS out there hoping it will stick on someone.:fire:

Ok Rant over.

So you really believe that neither Belichick or Pioli was as resonpsible for those rings as the players? If thats the case you are fooling your self. As for the players listed they haven't been any more mistreated than Miami has done to some of their players. Your two pro bowl CB's aced because they weren't cap friendly anymore and how about the way Marino was treated?
Bledsoe was released from the team because he asked to be. Why because he didn't want to be a back up but the sad fact was Kraft awaded him a big fat contract before Belichick arrived and he flat out wasn't worth the money especially as a backup nor was he capable of leading the team to a championship. Both Buffalo and dallas proved out that conclusion. Milloy had realistically lost a step yet you expect the pats to pay him top dollar when he was no longer a top player yet they offered him the same money as Harrison to stay. Harrison's ego got the best of him and he asked for his release and was given it. Yeah tell me all about loyality. Well if thats how you would manage your cap space good luck ever winning any thing. Givens was offered an off the wall contract in Tenn and ended up only playing a couple of games before hitting the injuried out list and frankly he wasn't worth the contract Tenn gave him even if he had stayed healthy,(much the same as most of you say about Welker who was you team leading WR last season who I might add didn't receive much loyality for his efforts) Branch was offered a fair contract in NE but let a POS agent lead him down the road of no return. He misses NE and I'm sure if Branch had the chance to do it all over again he'd have fired that agent and signed in NE. By the way Branch was one of the players Stallworth talked to for an opinion about signing in NE for less money than he had been offered in Tenn and guess what Branch told him...Sign in NE its a great place to play. Ted Johnson played after sustaining many concussions and many he never told anyone about so don't be so quick to lay that all onto Belichick. And last but not least Ty Law who made plenty of money here in NE, walked away with 3 rings for his efforts and if he's managed any of that molah he'll never have to work after retirement. He played well and was payed well and he played up to the end of his contract in NE. NE doesn't treat their players any worse than the rest of the league and if you play well you get paid well but don't try and come off like Miami pays its players big bucks after their skills have declined. If you ran a team by over paying players past their prime because they played well in the past but in the present they don't get it done anymore than you will be a fan of a losing team. Get real will ya its life in the Big Leagues and being a sport you don't get moved up to some cushy job when you get along in your years. Every player has a shelf life in the NFL and they know it. You look at 6 players and come to your bogus conclusion but there are many players who looked at the big picture like Brady, Bruschi, Brown along with many others who although could have probably got more money somewhere else know they make dam good money in NE AND are with a HC and GM that plan to be a contender yr after yr. They have had players sign on for less then they could get else where because (even though this though escapes you) they want to win first and foremost. I know its hard for you to comprehand but not all players are only about the money and thats a perk that a winning team gets. A thomas, Stallworth, Washington, all could have got a bigger payday elsewhere but wanted to be here for 1 reason to win a championship. If you hate the pats are frustrated or jealous then just come out and say it but don't just throw BS out there hoping it will stick on someone.:fire:

Ok Rant over.

Paragraphs? No? :lol:

Uh, no.

I can answer your entire post with "D. Branch" but I'll break down and counter the points you was trying to make. First of all it will not come down to another team signing him to an offer sheet. There has been only one player in the history of the franchise tag (J. Galloway) who was exchanged for the original 2 first rd picks compensation. Naturally having buyer's remorse, DAL realized it was a huge mistake. The entire league learned from this so it's not going to happen again.

His asking price is at least D. Bly new numbers, not the 80 mil some are so fixated on. Teams have and will continue to find ways to fit top players into their cap structure even after the draft.

Another team is going to have to compensate the Patriots with at least two draft picks and at least one of them is going to be a first-round pick, then that team is going to have to give Asante Samuel a big dollar contract. Name me one player in the NFL that was tagged and sat out it wasn't Deion Branch?

Again, D. Branch. He was willing to sit out the first ten games. The 8 mil tender looks great on paper but what happens if he has a season ending injury before game one? If it's a young top player we're talking about then the
team's value for a future trade decreases, not the player's. A year is not taken away from him, remember he's reporting after the tenth game.

Deion Branch was not a free agent that was tagged. He was in the fifth year of his rookie contract that was scheduled to pay him $1.045 mil. in 2006, not anywhere near the guaranteed $8 mil. that Samuel would be leaving on the table. Secondly, to undermine your point further, it was the Patriots who apparently refused to trade him till they extracted exactly what THEY wanted from another team. Branch filed a grievance against the Patriots because it was claimed the Patriots turned down fair trade offers for Branch in an attempt to extract more from trade partners. Receiver is obviously a position the Pats think they can plug in and play, they don't value the position highly. That is not the case with cornerbacks. The Patriots aren't going to let Samuel go for less then a mint in compensation.
They got the 24th pick in the draft for Branch, what do you think they'd get for Samuel, and who is going to pay it? Don't hold your breath.

Holding out till the tenth game of the season would do Samuel no good. He's a free agent, he's not under contract like Branch was, Samuel isn't trying to accrue credits toward free agency (the CBA says that if you play the last six-games of the season it counts as a full-season and you thereby satisfy a year on your contract, but only get paid for the games you play) like Branch was, Samuel is already a free agent, and if he doesn't sign the tender, he'll sit on the bench, lose out on the $8 mil. guaranteed. and still be subject to the Patriots franchise tag next year. No player has ever sat out a season after being tagged. Samuel ain't going to either.

Donovan Darius? (I'm saying this like Mora's "Playoffs?")
He had no choice because his services outside JAX weren't in high demand. He was/is a big hitter nothing more. No offense Jags fans but IMO Darius is a slightly better Roy Williams. Top corners don't grow on trees. BTW, next season the fran tag will be the average top 5 regardless of position so If I'm Asante I'll dare ne to tag me again.

Your value judgement aside, Darius was one of the five best safeties in the league. He was tagged 3 straight years. Everybody said the Jags were going to cut him loose after they signed Deon Grant a few years ago, because they couldn't tie up all that money at one position, yadda, yadda. He was that valuable to the team. He played chicken, and lost. And if you don't think Darius had many other choices, try Walter Jones, maybe the best left tackle in the game was tagged three straight years by the Seahawks, then he gave up and signed the long-term deal. Are you going to tell us Jones had no value on the market either so he just went along because he didn't have better options?

And by the way, you're simply incorrect about the new franchise rule that goes into effect next year. The rule states that a team can franchise a player two years in a row and pay the average of the top five at the position, but if they attempt to do it a third-year in a row, they must pay the top five average of all positions, quarterback money. This wouldn't apply to Samuel in any case because if he refuses to sign the tender and he sits out, he is then subject to the franchise tag not one more time, but two more times because the tag only counts when the player accepts the tender and plays. The Patriots can tag Samuel again next year even if he accepts this year's tender, and still pay him the average at CB, it won't be until 2009 when they're obligated to give him quarterback money, which they will not. So you were saying about Samuel's leverage? Or Briggs's for that matter? They don't have any, that's why they're whining in the press.

Drew Bledsoe
Lawyer Milloy
David Givens
Deion Branch
Ted Johnson
Ty Law

Wasn't it Lawyer Milloy who stuck his foot in his mouth and said Belicheck valued wins more then taking care of his players, well no kidding. Is the game about paid players, or winning teams? What kind of criticism is it to upbraid a coach and general manager for not only building a champion, but maintaining a winner through deft personnel moves? You make it sound as if the Patriots didn't reward their deserving players, were they not paid a premium for their services while they were employed by the Patriots? Ty Law earned $37 mil. his last six-years in New England, he had the highest average compensation of any DB when he was cut, then on the wrong side of 30, and recovering from an injury, he complained that he was being shafted because they wouldn't give him a deal that averaged 10 mil. per. And the Patriots are to be faulted for letting the guy go?

The Patriots should have paid David Givens what the desperate Titans did? What had Givens done to deserve that money? 3 touchdowns a year. What is Booker worth then?

Branch never had a thousand yard season, had two seasons under 500-yard receiving, and had only 14 touchdowns in 4 years, but he merited a nearly 40 mil. deal like the Seahawks gave him? I don't think so. Don't rip the Patriots for prudently evaluating the talent on their roster. He was not an elite player. He didn't have a single Pro Bowl on his resume. Branch kept saying he wanted a deal like Reggie Wayne's, but he never produced like Reggie Wayne.

The Patriots mistreated Drew Bledsoe how? By starting the better quarterback, then trading him for high draft picks?

Drew Bledsoe
Lawyer Milloy
David Givens
Deion Branch
Ted Johnson
Ty Law

Actually, Deion Branch recommended to Donte Stallworth that he choose the Pats and told him they have a great organization and business was business regarding his trade.

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/03/15/branchs_recommendation_swayed_stallworth/

Back
Top Bottom