Asante Samuel not happy | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante Samuel not happy

Our only shot at him is if he becomes such a distraction the Patriots want to get rid of him. If that becomes the case do we really want him either? That's why as much as I'd love to have him in a Phin uni, it's not going to happen.

Mortgage the franchise? We all know Nate will not see the full 80 so that's a cop out. For what he did in the postseason alone Asante should be paid his worth, but that's your problem.
Face it most pats fans are actually cheering for Belly, Pioli & brady not the ne patriots. Who knows how long Bill will stay because IMO as soon as your coach sees a better opp/challenge (maybe after this yr w/ NYG) he's gone.
Once this happens it will be a wrap for everything patriots. Then you all can go back to being full time bosox fans right?

Well of the teams named said to be interested I didn't see Miami in that line. If Samuel won't see that full $80 mil whats the problem with Miami? Samuels worth is the real question and like I said he's had ONE really good season, hardly worth that kind of money. NE ins't going into cap hell like your own team has. Face it most dolphin fans are just angry, frustrated, jealous and desperate to find something negitive about the pats to feel better about being a fan of the dolphins.

Well of the teams named said to be interested I didn't see Miami in that line. If Samuel won't see that full $80 mil whats the problem with Miami? Samuels worth is the real question and like I said he's had ONE really good season, hardly worth that kind of money. NE ins't going into cap hell like your own team has. Face it most dolphin fans are just angry, frustrated, jealous and desperate to find something negitive about the pats to feel better about being a fan of the dolphins.

Of course we are jealous, we havent been to the playoffs in years while youve had the best success in the league for years now and still have some good legs left. Who wouldnt be?
Desperate to find something negative? There is plenty to find without having to be desperate. The Patriots seem to treat their players except Brady like crap. Not that it seems to affect them much, but they do.
And yes, once BB/Pioli/Brady are gone (could be several years yet ugh) the Pats likely will be pretty average for a long time, kinda like before they GOT those 3 guys.

In the meantime, Miami is on the rise. We wont be much of a threat this year, no, but in 2-3 years we have a shot to be set up for some longterm success. We have ditched several bloated contracts and are "not" going to be descending into cap hell. Why else do you think we ditched those overpaid linemen and Randy and traded Olindo? Way to much $$ for their production. We have been in a down stretch, most teams have them before they get great again. I believe we have a good shot to end this and get ourselves on the rebound-as a phinfan i have plenty to be excited about right now without worrying about the Pats.

As for Samuel, he has less than 0% chance to be a Phin unless we grossly and massively overpay. The Pats would not let him leave into the division unless they get some serious compensation. I think the Branch comment was about dead on. The Pats will likely deal Asante to an out of division likely out of conference team for at least a first, or in a package deal. Its what they do.

Would love to have him ....but not at the cost of what a frachise tag would require. He will be demanding bukos money. No surprise if it is close to Clements territory. Pass. Let him stay there and be a cancer and distraction. Could not happen to a better team LOL.
Right, just like Deion Branch was such a cancer hmm? Wait, they went to the AFC championship game without him.

Of course we are jealous, we havent been to the playoffs in years while youve had the best success in the league for years now and still have some good legs left. Who wouldnt be?
Desperate to find something negative? There is plenty to find without having to be desperate. The Patriots seem to treat their players except Brady like crap. Not that it seems to affect them much, but they do.
And yes, once BB/Pioli/Brady are gone (could be several years yet ugh) the Pats likely will be pretty average for a long time, kinda like before they GOT those 3 guys.

In the meantime, Miami is on the rise. We wont be much of a threat this year, no, but in 2-3 years we have a shot to be set up for some longterm success. We have ditched several bloated contracts and are "not" going to be descending into cap hell. Why else do you think we ditched those overpaid linemen and Randy and traded Olindo? Way to much $$ for their production. We have been in a down stretch, most teams have them before they get great again. I believe we have a good shot to end this and get ourselves on the rebound-as a phinfan i have plenty to be excited about right now without worrying about the Pats.

As for Samuel, he has less than 0% chance to be a Phin unless we grossly and massively overpay. The Pats would not let him leave into the division unless they get some serious compensation. I think the Branch comment was about dead on. The Pats will likely deal Asante to an out of division likely out of conference team for at least a first, or in a package deal. Its what they do.

"Desperate to find something negative? There is plenty to find without having to be desperate.The Patriots seem to treat their players except Brady like crap.

Really how do you figure that by not handing then the keys to the safe? I think your statement is a lot of crap. I don't think putting 3 SB rings on some of these guys fingers is such bad treatment obviously you do. Neither Belichick or Pioli are going to take the team into cap hell for any player that you can count on. Samuel deserves a big pay day indeed but certainly not Clemments kind of money. If you look at it realistically he had a good season...1 good season and funny how it came in his last season before FA now isn't it. If you want to play and get a very decent pay day plus have the chance to play for championships then NE is the place to be. If all you care about is money then better off going somewhere else. You should know it wasn't that long ago Miami cut 2 very very good CB's....hows that for treating their players like crap. Cap cuts happen to almost every single team in the league today, its the reason we got A Thomas and you guys got J Porter, its life in the nfl get used to it.

frustrated and desperate to find something negitive about the pats to feel better about being a fan of the dolphins.
28-0 says it all (Yes 28-0, cuz we kneled on 3 yard line after busting a 38 yard run)

P.s. Now on topic..Samuell is not going anywhere, he is too good of a player, pats will ether keep dem for demselves, or wont let anybody have him (a la Briggs in Chicago)

All elite players have the upper hand. They can holdout/not report/refuse to sign tender as long as possible because there will always be that owner and/or GM waiting in the wings. But a franchise can't keep healthy players away (per new CBA), and if they chose to slap the fran tag on same player year after year out of spite they'll look petty. Plus it would be bad business.

Samuel has no leverage. No team will sign him to an offer sheet because 1) they're not giving up the compensation 2) his asking price puts him outside the cap structure of most teams this late in the free agency period, especially after the draft. Asante Samuel is not going to sit out and pass up the 8 mil. his tender guarantees him. If you don't play, you lose value, it's that simple. Players aren't fine wines, they don't appreciate with shelf life. And before speaking about the bad business practices of teams that slap the franchise tags on players year after year, you need look no further then the Jaguars who slapped Donovan Darius with the franchise tag three-years in a row, he played out his tenders because he had no choice. He then just gave up and agreed to a three-year deal after being tagged the third time. Wasn't such a bad business practice for them. The Patriots work the system the way it is supposed to be worked, that's why they will be competitive for as long as Brady and Seymour can stand upright.

Isn't this like John Maynard Keynes saying we're all going to die in the long run? The NFL was probably saying the same thing about the 1972 Dolphins : "One day, they'll be average." At some point in the future the Patriots will return to mediocrity, everything that goes up come down, but when they do come down, they'll have more to celebrate then we've had in the last thirty-years! And I wouldn't be so sure the Patriots would be down very long regardless of whether Belicheck was there, or not (he's not going anywhere, they'll bury him in Foxboro.) Since the Dolphins were last in a Super Bowl, the Patriots have been to 5 with three different head coaches. Robert Kraft is a great owner that anyone in the league would kill to work for. He has the revenue, the desire to win big, and he doesn't meddle. The Patriots today are not the Patriots that were owned by the inept Sullivan family, or the incompetent Victor Kiam. Ownership is the most important aspect of a team and the Pats have it.

28-0 says it all (Yes 28-0, cuz we kneled on 3 yard line after busting a 38 yard run)

P.s. Now on topic..Samuell is not going anywhere, he is too good of a player, pats will ether keep dem for demselves, or wont let anybody have him (a la Briggs in Chicago)

Sorry Mari0k I didn't mean to lump all Miami fans together. It gets me when people make BS statements like "The pats treat their players like crap". All the teams have to work under the same cap and when one player gets too high price the time comes to move them because they are the ones that will kill a teams chances to stay competetive down the line. All teams have had to make those types of decisions and the real trick is to be able to have talent enough to replace them without hurting the overall team. I think if the past has showed us anything the Pats have made those tough choices and still been able to still be there to contend. If you look at Samuel honestly he's a good CB but not a great CB, hasn't been to 1 pro bowl and as I've said in his 4 yrs with the Pats he had one really good season but now he thinks he's worth an $80 mil contract. I'd like us to keep him but only if he can settle for a fair contract. If all that matters to him now is Clemments money then I would rather he hits the road.

Sorry Mari0k I didn't mean to lump all Miami fans together. It gets me when people make BS statements like "The pats treat their players like crap". All the teams have to work under the same cap and when one player gets too high price the time comes to move them because they are the ones that will kill a teams chances to stay competetive down the line. All teams have had to make those types of decisions and the real trick is to be able to have talent enough to replace them without hurting the overall team. I think if the past has showed us anything the Pats have made those tough choices and still been able to still be there to contend. If you look at Samuel honestly he's a good CB but not a great CB, hasn't been to 1 pro bowl and as I've said in his 4 yrs with the Pats he had one really good season but now he thinks he's worth an $80 mil contract. I'd like us to keep him but only if he can settle for a fair contract. If all that matters to him now is Clemments money then I would rather he hits the road.

Well a Miami fan can't say much since we treated the best QB of all time like crap at the end. The one player I do think New England mistreated was Troy Brown after he did a rare thing for a player trying a whole new position to help the team and hurting his free agency value, Ne did very little to compensate him for that.

plain and simple...we arent giving up a 1st and 3rd rounder for Samuel.

on the other hand...the Patriots are gonna have THREE, 1st round picks. aka...3 big money deals. if we can find a way to move back a few spots and get an extra 2nd rounder...we can trade two of our 2nds for one of their 1sts??? or would u rather keep all 3, 2nd rounders?

Samuel has no leverage. No team will sign him to an offer sheet because 1) they're not giving up the compensation 2) his asking price puts him outside the cap structure of most teams this late in the free agency period, especially after the draft.

I can answer your entire post with "D. Branch" but I'll break down and counter the points you was trying to make.

First of all it will not come down to another team signing him to an offer sheet. There has been only one player in the history of the franchise tag (J. Galloway) who was exchanged for the original 2 first rd picks compensation. Naturally having buyer's remorse, DAL realized it was a huge mistake. The entire league learned from this so it's not going to happen again.

His asking price is at least D. Bly new numbers, not the 80 mil some are so fixated on. Teams have and will continue to find ways to fit top players into their cap structure even after the draft.

Asante Samuel is not going to sit out and pass up the 8 mil. his tender guarantees him. If you don't play, you lose value, it's that simple. Players aren't fine wines, they don't appreciate with shelf life.
Again, D. Branch. He was willing to sit out the first ten games. The 8 mil tender looks great on paper but what happens if he has a season ending injury before game one? If it's a young top player we're talking about then the team's value for a future trade decreases, not the player's. A year is not taken away from him, remember he's reporting after the tenth game.

And before speaking about the bad business practices of teams that slap the franchise tags on players year after year, you need look no further then the Jaguars who slapped Donovan Darius with the franchise tag three-years in a row, he played out his tenders because he had no choice. He then just gave up and agreed to a three-year deal after being tagged the third time. Wasn't such a bad business practice for them. The Patriots work the system the way it is supposed to be worked, that's why they will be competitive for as long as Brady and Seymour can stand upright.
Donovan Darius? (I'm saying this like Mora's "Playoffs?")
He had no choice because his services outside JAX weren't in high demand. He was/is a big hitter nothing more. No offense Jags fans but IMO Darius is a slightly better Roy Williams. Top corners don't grow on trees. BTW, next season the fran tag will be the average top 5 regardless of position so If I'm Asante I'll dare ne to tag me again.

Would we see these same pats practices if they had a lesser qb?
Yes, they were the ones who replaced Milloy w/Harrison, Law w/Asante so my hat is off. And I commend Belly & Pioli for having the "best 53 instead of 22" philosophy, but by judging recent years either they're slacking or the league is gaining ground.

Samuel's wonts out of New England!!!!

How bad are things going between the New England Patriots and the agent for Asante Samuel? Not well, according to a recent report by Adam Schefter. Samuel is unhappy with the negotiations and the value the Patriots are placing on him. He's so unhappy that he said if a long term deal that's fair can't be worked out, then he wants to be traded.

We are in need of a CB Samuel would be a real good fit.

thoughts???

heres the link
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=62&p=2&c=633030

i'd be willing to give up any pick after our #1 for him he is well worth it

Back
Top Bottom