Ask Boomer | Page 57 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

J Tes said:
Boomer...I was wondering if you have any insight as to who Miami has been scouting? I was thinking of players not rated in the first round. Also, is Miami doesnt go RB in the first, who and when do you see them takin a back?

Hey J - well they have scouted pretty much everyone. Read back thru the thread and you'll see the guys they have looked at. They like Alex Smith, Charlie Frye, Nehemiah Broughton, Kay Jay Harris is a guy that Spielman scouted twice through the season last year......but have a look through and you'll see some of the guys that they like. There is a list on one of the previous 2 pages of the guys that they have brought in for visits.

Boomer said:
Hey J - well they have scouted pretty much everyone. Read back thru the thread and you'll see the guys they have looked at. They like Alex Smith, Charlie Frye, Nehemiah Broughton, Kay Jay Harris is a guy that Spielman scouted twice through the season last year......but have a look through and you'll see some of the guys that they like. There is a list on one of the previous 2 pages of the guys that they have brought in for visits.
Just did that. Thanks very helpful. But whats your take on Ciatrick Fason. If Miami goes Edwards at 2, any chance Fason would be around in the third for us?

Hey Boom, just a question on JJ Arrington..

Do you have any reason why his stock is so poor? I've watched this guy for a while and I really think he has all the measurables -- He has good speed, can make good cuts, can break free from the tackles well and is dangerous in the flat. His strength is average and he's no Jerome Bettis size-wise but I think he's just as good and just as able as Cadillac.

Personally, I think he'll be this years Juilis Jones. They have similar bodies, similar quickness and last year, I felt the same way about Julius. After watching him last year, I think a lot of people may feel that he would have been justifiable of our 1st rounder (although we did have Ricky at that time).

KB21 said:
I think Nick will also address the quarterback position at some point in the draft. Maybe he's got a good insight on a player that could become another Tom Brady. Someone that is flying under the radar, but is a true leader, winner, and quarterback.

The guy I'm thinking of is David Greene. Nick is obviously familiar with him since he has coached against him in big games. I think Greene gets a bad rep sometimes from the guys who are only interested in the physical skills. He's got plenty of arm strength, though it isn't a howitzer. One thing about Greene though is that he's as calm in the pocket as any quarterback I've seen in a while. IMO, this guy is also the best 2 minute drill quarterback in college. Take a look at his record as a starter as well. The guy has done nothing but win, despite the fact that Mark Richt dicked around with playing D.J. Shockley at times.
Sounds like he has leadership and poise. Something this team has been lacking and could now get. Thanks for the info.

Boomer,

Just wanted your thoughts about Braylon Edwards... I can really see us drafting him, although all the talk is probably just a smokescreen.

I'm not his biggest fan, but wouldn't be devastated if we drafted him. Personally, I prefer Mike Williams.

BTW, good luck to Liverpool this week, that'll be a tough game against Juve. My boys got a bit of a bashing at Norwich on Saturday... hopefully we'll be able to win the FA Cup.

J Tes said:
Just did that. Thanks very helpful. But whats your take on Ciatrick Fason. If Miami goes Edwards at 2, any chance Fason would be around in the third for us?

I'd imagine that both Fason and Morency will be around early in 3. I would have to think by the amount of time spent with the Cowboy that it would be Morency tat is floating our boat at this point. But don't rule out us taking Cedric Benson at 2. This is the hot story.

HysterikiLL said:
Hey Boom, just a question on JJ Arrington..

Do you have any reason why his stock is so poor? I've watched this guy for a while and I really think he has all the measurables -- He has good speed, can make good cuts, can break free from the tackles well and is dangerous in the flat. His strength is average and he's no Jerome Bettis size-wise but I think he's just as good and just as able as Cadillac.

Personally, I think he'll be this years Juilis Jones. They have similar bodies, similar quickness and last year, I felt the same way about Julius. After watching him last year, I think a lot of people may feel that he would have been justifiable of our 1st rounder (although we did have Ricky at that time).

Hey mate,

I think his stock is OK and has stayed quite solid but there are some negative factors to weigh into the positive. He did very well for Cal - sets up his blocks well, has very good vision, quick, has moves, but his size as a blocker, his mediocre hands and the fact that he starts off very deep in the Cal backfield and gets his acceleration before Aaron Rodgers gets the ball to him, will change in the pros. I also think when he gets hit he stays hit. Cadillac has superior lean, is much stronger and has better vision. His lack of height would concern me too.

finsnchips said:
Boomer,

Just wanted your thoughts about Braylon Edwards... I can really see us drafting him, although all the talk is probably just a smokescreen.

I'm not his biggest fan, but wouldn't be devastated if we drafted him. Personally, I prefer Mike Williams.

BTW, good luck to Liverpool this week, that'll be a tough game against Juve. My boys got a bit of a bashing at Norwich on Saturday... hopefully we'll be able to win the FA Cup.

I think if Saban has to stay at 2 and takes BPA then Edwards has to be very very high on that BPA list. I like Williams as well - I would be happy with either. To be honest, if we stay as we are, we will be drafting one from Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Benson, Brown, Caddy, Edwards or Mike Williams. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a bad list to choose from.

Yeah it will be a tough game. I went to the 1st leg, but with Gerrard a doubt it's going to be a struggle.

Hey Boomer, thanks for all this info you've been giving.

My question is this: What type of player is the better "risk" in the later rounds, A guy with good football skills that is undersized or slow(or other measureables) OR the guy that is an athelete with maybe questionable football skills?
Answer in your opinion of course, but I accually wonder who makes more teams as well.

i agree with you that saban would trade down a few spots and be exhilerated to land caddy or any of the backs mind you (if he can shake up another first rounder) unfortunately for us every team but maybe the 9rs would like this option.

i would think that only a few teams want to pay for a second round choice..., who would they be...?

and thanks in advance

Hi Simon!! Hope you wife and baby are doing well.
I have another question (of course..LOL) Listen why do you think that the 49rs are so incline to draft Smith over Rodgers? Aparently Rodgers has graded higher by most "experts" he is a local kid, and appears more ready to step in and play in the next level. Also I've heard that Saban would prefer Smith over Rodgers. Any news about this?
Again mate...thanks, and take care!

tastes like chi said:
Hey Boomer, thanks for all this info you've been giving.

My question is this: What type of player is the better "risk" in the later rounds, A guy with good football skills that is undersized or slow(or other measureables) OR the guy that is an athelete with maybe questionable football skills?
Answer in your opinion of course, but I accually wonder who makes more teams as well.

It's an excellent question mate. I would think that the football skills guy would win out, but every now and again, you take a flier on the athlete. You have to. You have to believe in your coaching staff's ability to mold him into something.

redhead said:
i agree with you that saban would trade down a few spots and be exhilerated to land caddy or any of the backs mind you (if he can shake up another first rounder) unfortunately for us every team but maybe the 9rs would like this option.

i would think that only a few teams want to pay for a second round choice..., who would they be...?

and thanks in advance

I don't quite understand what u are asking mate.

Sorry - it's been a long day. ;)

PHINSfan said:
Hi Simon!! Hope you wife and baby are doing well.
I have another question (of course..LOL) Listen why do you think that the 49rs are so incline to draft Smith over Rodgers? Aparently Rodgers has graded higher by most "experts" he is a local kid, and appears more ready to step in and play in the next level. Also I've heard that Saban would prefer Smith over Rodgers. Any news about this?
Again mate...thanks, and take care!

The 9ers GM amnd DPP said a while ago in a rarely picked up upon interview that they much preferred Smith, his ability to run their offense and his intelligence. They want to build the offense round his abilities which are rare when you look at other NFL passers.

As for Saban, what I hear is that Smith would be his man of the 2 passers.

Dear Boomer,

If we can't trade down within the top 10, should we stay at two or should we explore later round trades such as the Philly proposal? Do you think we could get more value by trading down out of the top 10?

Thanks,

:) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom