Ask Boomer | Page 58 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

RichmondWeb said:
Dear Boomer,

If we can't trade down within the top 10, should we stay at two or should we explore later round trades such as the Philly proposal? Do you think we could get more value by trading down out of the top 10?

Thanks,

:) :) :)

Mate, I don't think there is a 'Philly proposal'. That's just internet draft talk. If we can't t rade down, we have to stay at 2. Value goes up in terms of what you get back the further you go down, but do you get the player you want?

Sorry i didn't mean to confuse anyone with my question yesterday..., i was in a hurry...

regarding a potential trade of no.2

Who in your opinion could afford the draft picks and the financial blow of signing a sercond overall pick...? I know you don't think much of minny pulling the trigger.

Secondly..., one would think that Saban would like to avoid paying for a second overall pick if he can land his kind of player later in the draft for a substantialy lower price...? I imagine they are talking with alex smith this week about his $ expectations. I expect that he is going to command more than a rb.

What is the financially difference between the say the 7th overall and the second overall...?

thanks a lot

Boomer - Do you think Cleveland could be a trade partner to swap picks so they can take one of the QB's. We would get their second round pick. Then we could go Edwards, Campbell, and Barber (maybe) in third.

Boomer said:
As for Saban, what I hear is that Smith would be his man of the 2 passers.
If Smith is there do you see Saban taking a good look at him? Or let's, put it this way, in your opinion in a rough estimate how would you handycap the Dolphins choice? (for example Brown- 45%, Smith- 20%, Edwards- 20%, Benson- 5%, Mike Williams-5%, Caddy Williams-5%). That may be kind of a difficult question.

2 questions for the Boom Boom train,

1.While every player is different, it seems making comparisons between players from past drafts is in vogue, it's the 'thing' everybody tries to do. Just like when you're buying a car, you're comparing it to the one you had before or drove that had the same build, power and speed...
I can see Edwards compared to Moulds, Benson to Ricky, Mike Williams to Meshawn, R.Brown to Ahman Green but I'm still looking for an Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith comparison. Please help.

2. Thoughts on Luis Garcia's highlight goals ? First against Juve :mad: and now this week-end against Spurs. What was the book on him coming out of HS ? the spanish combine ?

Thanks

Hey Mr. B,

What about this guy?

(wr) Vincent Jackson 6-5, 241 4.55 Northern Colorado

Boomer,
This may be a moot point with the rumors about the 9ers likely to lock up Rogers soon, but you have said Miami likes Smith alot more than Rogers and would only consider taking a QB if Smith were there. I was just wondering if you knew why that is. Personally I think Rogers is the better of the two, but the concensus seems to be that they are very close no matter who is better. I have heard some feel Smith has more potential, maybe that is why. Could you shed some ligh?

redhead said:
Sorry i didn't mean to confuse anyone with my question yesterday..., i was in a hurry...

regarding a potential trade of no.2

Who in your opinion could afford the draft picks and the financial blow of signing a sercond overall pick...? I know you don't think much of minny pulling the trigger.

Secondly..., one would think that Saban would like to avoid paying for a second overall pick if he can land his kind of player later in the draft for a substantialy lower price...? I imagine they are talking with alex smith this week about his $ expectations. I expect that he is going to command more than a rb.

What is the financially difference between the say the 7th overall and the second overall...?

thanks a lot

OK, Arizona and Minnesota. San Diego have a tradeable commodity in Philip Rivers which they say won't hurt them cap wise if they deal. I will be surprised if it's not one of those. Tampa has the picks to be able to move up.

QB's always command more than runners.

The difference between 2 and 7 depends on what postion the player you draft at each spot financially.

Hope that helps mate.

Boomer said:
I like Barber - he's tough, he has great power, can break tackles, can beat players as well as run over them, has ripped off some long gainers at Minnesota and his weaknesses - hands and blocking are absolutely coachable. He's not weak in either area particularly, he just needs some better coaching. Houston I also like - I followed him some at high school and during his recruiting process. I think he has massive upside if only he could be more consistent. If it's not injuries just as he really looks good, it's fumbles. But he has a really nice size/speed/talent combo and could be the sort of back to break out in the pros. Arrington has done really well for Cal - sets up his blocks well, has very good vision, quick, has moves, but his size as a blocker, his mediocre hands and the fact that he starts off very deep in the Cal backfield and gets his acceleration before Aaron Rodgers gets the ball to him, will change in the pros. I also think when he gets hit he stays hit.

Moats is interesting - he has some size issues as well, but is quick, has nice vision, can make people miss, is strong physically despite his size, has good hands, but his problem is that he coughs the ball up way too much. Would be a nice change of pace for someone. Clarett you can't take seriously because he won't have played a down for almost three years at the start of the 2005 NFL season. And Sproles will be a 3rd down back/return man operating at a high level. If used correctly, he could be hugely dangerous and is the sort of player that Belichick would relish.

I think if miami can get ahold of him in the later rounds sproles that is...we could use him as a brian westbrook type guy...gets 10-12 carries a game but catches the ball out of the backfield and returns kicks

CD13 said:
Boomer - Do you think Cleveland could be a trade partner to swap picks so they can take one of the QB's. We would get their second round pick. Then we could go Edwards, Campbell, and Barber (maybe) in third.

I think it's unlikely to be honest. Cleveland want Smith but I think he'll go 1 to the 49ers if they stay there. Cleveland want Braylon. You might get Minny trading to 1 to get Edwards and the Browns might try and do the same, but that would circumvent us. Tampa, Minnesota and Arizona will be the 3. Look for Minny and Cleveland to get into a battle with us if Edwards is there at 2.

sports24/7 said:
If Smith is there do you see Saban taking a good look at him? Or let's, put it this way, in your opinion in a rough estimate how would you handycap the Dolphins choice? (for example Brown- 45%, Smith- 20%, Edwards- 20%, Benson- 5%, Mike Williams-5%, Caddy Williams-5%). That may be kind of a difficult question.

If Smith IS there, then yes I think they will take a long look, but I also think they will weigh that up with the trade offers which will definitely come. I think when all's said and done Nick would rather a Back and the picks from a trade than to take the QB at 2.

Pink_Dove said:
2 questions for the Boom Boom train,

1.While every player is different, it seems making comparisons between players from past drafts is in vogue, it's the 'thing' everybody tries to do. Just like when you're buying a car, you're comparing it to the one you had before or drove that had the same build, power and speed...
I can see Edwards compared to Moulds, Benson to Ricky, Mike Williams to Meshawn, R.Brown to Ahman Green but I'm still looking for an Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith comparison. Please help.

2. Thoughts on Luis Garcia's highlight goals ? First against Juve :mad: and now this week-end against Spurs. What was the book on him coming out of HS ? the spanish combine ?

Thanks

Hey mate.

I think making comparisons is fun but ultimitely foolhardy. Especially when you make comparisons of players from one school against players from the same school 5,7 10 years ago is en vogue but frankly like comparing cheese and candyfloss. Alex Smith would be like a Jeff Garcia, but not as mobile. Rodgers, pfffftttt.......um.....like a bigger, more mobile Tom Brady. That's a crap comparison, but he's very accurate like Brady is. Sorry, it's late. ;)

Luis? He's given us a lot this season. 11 goals and 4 in the CL is a good return. The Spanish Smicer is what some people called him, but he's a much better player. He gives the ball away less, and whilst he needs to get stronger and tackle more, he can be the X factor at times. He has a lovely touch and is a great striker of the ball. He's certainly a keeper and the 2nd most impressive Spanish signing that Rafa has made? Out of HS.....who knows :)

Danny1339 said:
Hey Mr. B,

What about this guy?

(wr) Vincent Jackson 6-5, 241 4.55 Northern Colorado

Hi Danny,

I've not seen Jackson play I'm afraid, suffice to say that Miami have had him in to Davie in the last fortnight for a workout.

sports24/7 said:
Boomer,
This may be a moot point with the rumors about the 9ers likely to lock up Rogers soon, but you have said Miami likes Smith alot more than Rogers and would only consider taking a QB if Smith were there. I was just wondering if you knew why that is. Personally I think Rogers is the better of the two, but the concensus seems to be that they are very close no matter who is better. I have heard some feel Smith has more potential, maybe that is why. Could you shed some ligh?

I think teams are blown away by Smith's intelligence, by his personality, by his leadership, by his ability to grasp schemes and his upside potential. He is the sort of guy that you build an offense around, perhaps an offense that the league has never really seen before. You can so much with him in terms of how you scheme him. His accuracy is impressive and he is a winner.

I think Saban follows the personality test that Belichick usually sticks to. Rodgers is a good kid too but Smith blows people away.

Hey Boomer what's up?

Just wondering, usually there are a couple of teams and sure fire picks on their behalf, any of those this year? (I.E. Thomas Davis to Saints? Travis Johnson to Bengals? Barnes to Jacksonville?)

And also, Ware has been improving his stock a lot these past few weeks and is rumored to be a sure fire top 15 pick, do you see him going before Dallas at 10 or slipping further to Houston?

Back
Top Bottom