Ask Boomer | Page 64 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

girthvader44 said:
"the best DT in the game Kevin Williams"

I have to respectfully disagree... Not a chance

Who's better than Williams? 10 sack DT who plays the run. Don't get many better than that.

Lee2000 said:
Boomer,

the list of 29 invitees is not exactly accurate. Some players did not show, and there were others highlighted in newspaper articles that were not even on the list (e.g., Joe Walkins). Do you have any information on exactly who showed up for camp? In addition, you had mentioned a guy named Dustin Powell, a player out of Wisconsin at Lacrosse. He had great speed, but was a tweener between safety and linebacker. As far as I know he did not get picked up.
In addition, Saban said that they were very short at defensive back. Do you see them signing anyone else in the immediate future at that position. Joe Walkins (a former receiver), Atari Bigby, and Elam, from Kent St., were at camp.

Lee2000

I think there were 51 guys in total, 6 drafteee's, 15 or so UDFA and then try out players like Kevin Beard etc. Don't think the full list has been released, suffice to say that I don't recall seeing those guys you mention on any list.

Boomer, Do you think Kevin Beard? will he make the team? also, who do you think will start at DT? my guess is Carter and Bowens

nick19991 said:
Boomer, Do you think Kevin Beard? will he make the team? also, who do you think will start at DT? my guess is Carter and Bowens

No Nick, I don't envisage Beard making the team. Just not good enough. I think receiver wise, Chambers and Booker are locks. Thompson played well the second half of the season. Kendall Newson showed flashes before the injury. Josh Davis is a solid WR who runs good routes, Welker is a lock for the roster IMO. Maurice Mann won't make it, Gilmore has a shot certainly and I don't see Bellamy, Madison or Huggins havig a shot. The wildcard as we stand is David Boston.

If Boston comes back I see us with Chambers, Booker, Boston Thompson, Davis and Welker. If he doesn't I see us with Chambers, Booker, Thompson, Davis, Gilmore and Welker.

But we may pick up a WR after June 1st. Who knows?

As for the DT starters, I really don't see us as a team that has starters on the DL. I see a huge 10 player rotation, bringing new bodies in all the time, keeping guys fresh at all times - especially with Chester, Bowens and Skee, you can't have aged guys like that playing 60 minutes. You'll see a lot of Roth, a lot of Carter, a lot of Holliday, a lot of Romero, a lot of Vickerson, mixed with Bowens and Chester inside. I expect Matt to play inside on passing downs, in case you were wondering.

Boomer said:
No Nick, I don't envisage Beard making the team. Just not good enough. I think receiver wise, Chambers and Booker are locks. Thompson played well the second half of the season. Kendall Newson showed flashes before the injury. Josh Davis is a solid WR who runs good routes, Welker is a lock for the roster IMO. Maurice Mann won't make it, Gilmore has a shot certainly and I don't see Bellamy, Madison or Huggins havig a shot. The wildcard as we stand is David Boston.

If Boston comes back I see us with Chambers, Booker, Boston Thompson, Davis and Welker. If he doesn't I see us with Chambers, Booker, Thompson, Davis, Gilmore and Welker.

But we may pick up a WR after June 1st. Who knows?

As for the DT starters, I really don't see us as a team that has starters on the DL. I see a huge 10 player rotation, bringing new bodies in all the time, keeping guys fresh at all times - especially with Chester, Bowens and Skee, you can't have aged guys like that playing 60 minutes. You'll see a lot of Roth, a lot of Carter, a lot of Holliday, a lot of Romero, a lot of Vickerson, mixed with Bowens and Chester inside. I expect Matt to play inside on passing downs, in case you were wondering.

thanks Boomer... I was also wondering if any of these native Florida kids have a shot at making the team. Like the Florida Atlantic players

Boomer-

Can you tell me what your thoughts are on QB Kellen Clemens from Oregon? One of my friends knows him and he thinks he will be a great pro QB. Do you see him being a consideration next year for the fins if AJ doesn't prove himself?
Thanks for all your hard work, bud!

Travis

What are we going to do with RW if he comes back? Let Ronnie learn from him or get his credibility back this season to trade him for draft picks if Ronnie proves himself?

Marino Forever said:
Boomer-

Can you tell me what your thoughts are on QB Kellen Clemens from Oregon? One of my friends knows him and he thinks he will be a great pro QB. Do you see him being a consideration next year for the fins if AJ doesn't prove himself?
Thanks for all your hard work, bud!

Travis

Hey Travis, he's an interesting prospect. The one thing that may worry scouts is that he is in the 6-1 area. That height may concern people. I know Mike Belotti thinks a lot of him - he reckons he is on the same learning curve as Joey Harrington and that he may end up with a higher pro grade. That's praise indeed.

But he has a very good arm, he is accurate and he is mobile. Plus he seems to be the leader of that team and a sort of fiery, Brett Favre character with his competetive edge - like Brett he's something of a good ole boy. He looks compact in the pocket and has good technique. It will be interesting to see where he ends up when all is said and done, because if he improves from junior to senior the way he did from soph to junior he could be making a strong move. He will need help from Demetrius Williams and Cam Colvin at WR and Tim Day at TE especially, but he could be a real mover up draft boards.

nick19991 said:
thanks Boomer... I was also wondering if any of these native Florida kids have a shot at making the team. Like the Florida Atlantic players

I really don't see it mate. Competition is strong and I don't see them making it.

Boomer said:
I really don't see it mate. Competition is strong and I don't see them making it.

I didn't think so

FIREMEDIC822 said:
What are we going to do with RW if he comes back? Let Ronnie learn from him or get his credibility back this season to trade him for draft picks if Ronnie proves himself?

Phewww that's the $64,000 question. I think people talk about trading him but to who and for what? I think IF he comes back, he's coming back to play and to share the load.

Irrespective of what he has done, one question you need to answer if you are the head football coach of the Miami Dolphins:

"Does Ricky Williams make you a better player or not?"

The answer is absolutely yes. And in that answer is the answer to your question, IMHO. The NFL is a business. It's all about "what have you done for me lately".

I agree. I think with our wideouts and TE coupled with a Ronnie and RW backfield we would be hard to stop. The keys would be Feeley and our O line. I am exited to see what we can do this year. Thanks for the response.

FIREMEDIC822 said:
I agree. I think with our wideouts and TE coupled with a Ronnie and RW backfield we would be hard to stop. The keys would be Feeley and our O line. I am exited to see what we can do this year. Thanks for the response.

The key to the success of the 2005 Miami Dolphins is the offensive line. If they cannot open holes or protect AJ then we are stuffed. AJ will be fine with a solid run game and time to make throws. I defy anyone to suceed when there is no run game and an OL that resembles a revolving door.

That is why Hud Houck is paid the money.

Boomer I have another question... Is Anthony Alabi mean on the football field or is he not mean enough? I've heard that he is mean on the field but I've also heard that he is not aggressive enough. will he be a good player in the NFL and will he start at LT for us? we are weak at LT and this guy can bench 500 pounds and squat more then 800 according to some reports

Back
Top Bottom