Ask Boomer | Page 65 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

Boomer said:
Hey Travis, he's an interesting prospect. The one thing that may worry scouts is that he is in the 6-1 area. That height may concern people. I know Mike Belotti thinks a lot of him - he reckons he is on the same learning curve as Joey Harrington and that he may end up with a higher pro grade. That's praise indeed.

But he has a very good arm, he is accurate and he is mobile. Plus he seems to be the leader of that team and a sort of fiery, Brett Favre character with his competetive edge - like Brett he's something of a good ole boy. He looks compact in the pocket and has good technique. It will be interesting to see where he ends up when all is said and done, because if he improves from junior to senior the way he did from soph to junior he could be making a strong move. He will need help from Demetrius Williams and Cam Colvin at WR and Tim Day at TE especially, but he could be a real mover up draft boards.
Boomer-

Thanks for the in depth response. That is pretty much exactly what I was wanting to hear. I too think that height is not such a major issue when determining the worth of a QB. I like that Kellen is fiery and mobile, two areas I feel are of the most importance when "measuring" a QB. (no pun intended-actually it was intended!)

Marino Forever said:
Boomer-

Thanks for the in depth response. That is pretty much exactly what I was wanting to hear. I too think that height is not such a major issue when determining the worth of a QB. I like that Kellen is fiery and mobile, two areas I feel are of the most importance when "measuring" a QB. (no pun intended-actually it was intended!)

My pleasure mate. Glad it was what you were after.

Boomer said:
Ah so your a Boca Raton boy huh? I know very little to be honest, other than that he's a likely starter in the secondary this season, his junior year. As someone who hasn't started a game yet, he's kinda hard to project long term, other than that he'll be in the 2007 draft if good enough. As a safety in the PAC 10 he'll get plenty of chances to show himself.
wow!!! I am about to say that Boomer is wrong, sorry it feels very weird, but he has started his last 13 games and was 3rd or 4th(along with like 20 others) in INTs(Draft Daddy had him as a sophomore all-american). Thanks for the response... and sorry, it just feels weird you're never wrong!

BocaHighQB said:
wow!!! I am about to say that Boomer is wrong, sorry it feels very weird, but he has started his last 13 games and was 3rd or 4th(along with like 20 others) in INTs(Draft Daddy had him as a sophomore all-american). Thanks for the response... and sorry, it just feels weird you're never wrong!

Told you I knew little about him. Had to look at the University write up of him and it clearly hadn't been updated :)

AjFazz85 said:
I played high school football with Rivers and he was the best player I had ever seen at the high school level. He didn't like the way Miami treated him on his visit down there. They acted like it was a privilege for him just to be there at one of there home games. He said the players were arrogant and they were full of themselves. When he visited USC everybody was laid back and he said that Pete Carroll was a great guy. Now I am a Canes fan for life but I think he made the right choice in going to USC. He defintely has the potential to be a great NFL linebacker.

I'm really not surprised by that. The friendliest, most positive people I ever met were at USC. Californians in general get a bad rap as too stuck up. I literally felt at home in the first 5 minutes I was on campus. I even left my huge trunk with all my wordly possessions outside and unguarded for hours while I found out where my room was. To this day, I'm closer to my college buddies than anyone from my hometown of Miami.

To demonstrate how depressed Trojans were when we signed Carroll as head coach, the alumni newspaper Trojan Family refused to print a positive letter to the editor I wrote a few days after we signed him. He was maybe our 6th choice, after many others bowed out including both coaches at the Oregon schools. I wrote a letter emphasizing how lucky we were, that Carroll was an enthusiastic guy who would emphasize defense in a defenseless conference and start recruiting studs in the trenches like John McKay and a young John Robinson. Months later I wrote an email to the editor of Trojan Family asking why he didn't print my letter. He replied that he thought I was being sarcastic.

Like you I'm a Canes fan for life and Rivers would look great in our LB corps. Miami strangely didn't land as many LBs as they targeted in 2004 and missed out on many RBs in 2005, despite heavy losses and glaring needs in each case.

Awsi Dooger said:
I'm really not surprised by that. The friendliest, most positive people I ever met were at USC. Californians in general get a bad rap as too stuck up. I literally felt at home in the first 5 minutes I was on campus. I even left my huge trunk with all my wordly possessions outside and unguarded for hours while I found out where my room was. To this day, I'm closer to my college buddies than anyone from my hometown of Miami.

To demonstrate how depressed Trojans were when we signed Carroll as head coach, the alumni newspaper Trojan Family refused to print a positive letter to the editor I wrote a few days after we signed him. He was maybe our 6th choice, after many others bowed out including both coaches at the Oregon schools. I wrote a letter emphasizing how lucky we were, that Carroll was an enthusiastic guy who would emphasize defense in a defenseless conference and start recruiting studs in the trenches like John McKay and a young John Robinson. Months later I wrote an email to the editor of Trojan Family asking why he didn't print my letter. He replied that he thought I was being sarcastic.

Like you I'm a Canes fan for life and Rivers would look great in our LB corps. Miami strangely didn't land as many LBs as they targeted in 2004 and missed out on many RBs in 2005, despite heavy losses and glaring needs in each case.

Good to know that about USC...I'm going there on a summer school course next year hopefully leading up to degree level eventually...I looked at various schools but USC was ahead because of the thorough Cinema-Television school but glad to hear the people are nice.

As for the Canes recruiting, I think they needed to go heavy at RB. Gore had been injured the last two seasons and who was left the season before last?? Jarret Payton? Wow. I think Miami should have dived on Bobby Washington coming out of Miami Killman. He was one of the top prospects IMO.

Boomer as I'm sure you already know, we picked up Shirdonya Mitchell.

What can we expect from this guy? Seems like and intriguing prospect with a LOT of upside.

Awsi Dooger said:

Thanks for clearing the air about us CALI/USC folks.... We can't stand those rich and famous imposters either (believe me they're all over the place and usually not from CA, funny huh).... Cali's laid back baby!!!

Boomer what happened to Ernest Shazor? He was projected to be in the top 3-4 rounds but went undrafted. He is a big strong safety with moderate speed. If I remember correctly he tore it up at Michigan. Any news on where he is going or if he is going anywhere. I thought he would be a good UDFA to look at. Thanks

Boom, how's it going on the other side of the pond?
Out of the FA TE's we picked up who's gonna make the final cut (Alex Holmes is my boy)? How about those allocated to NFL Euro?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

FIREMEDIC822 said:
Boomer what happened to Ernest Shazor? He was projected to be in the top 3-4 rounds but went undrafted. He is a big strong safety with moderate speed. If I remember correctly he tore it up at Michigan. Any news on where he is going or if he is going anywhere. I thought he would be a good UDFA to look at. Thanks

Arizona scooped him up! Last I read...

HysterikiLL said:
Good to know that about USC...I'm going there on a summer school course next year hopefully leading up to degree level eventually...I looked at various schools but USC was ahead because of the thorough Cinema-Television school but glad to hear the people are nice.

As for the Canes recruiting, I think they needed to go heavy at RB. Gore had been injured the last two seasons and who was left the season before last?? Jarret Payton? Wow. I think Miami should have dived on Bobby Washington coming out of Miami Killman. He was one of the top prospects IMO.

I had several roomies who were cinema majors. All the majors involving film or broadcasting or journalism were extremely competitive but had excellent professors. Most of the profs were current or former bigwigs in the field. One of my journalism profs was city editor of the Los Angeles Times. He would literally bring in the selection of stories from the night before and tell us the rationale for placing each story, how they were weighted. Plus they always bring in guest speakers from the local media.

If you're not from the area and need a place to stay, you might try to get into Troy Hall, a university owned apartment complex. It's conveniently located halfway between campus and the Row. Very close to the University Village shopping mall. I stayed there and it was great. Late night volleyball on sand courts with curvy coeds cheering us on from their balconies. At least in my '80s era, Troy Hall always had plenty of openings during summer term.

I think Miami signed Bobby Washington but he bailed out at the last minute. This year they pursued the top RB in the state but he switched to FSU on signing day.

Awsi Dooger said:
I had several roomies who were cinema majors. All the majors involving film or broadcasting or journalism were extremely competitive but had excellent professors. Most of the profs were current or former bigwigs in the field. One of my journalism profs was city editor of the Los Angeles Times. He would literally bring in the selection of stories from the night before and tell us the rationale for placing each story, how they were weighted. Plus they always bring in guest speakers from the local media.

If you're not from the area and need a place to stay, you might try to get into Troy Hall, a university owned apartment complex. It's conveniently located halfway between campus and the Row. Very close to the University Village shopping mall. I stayed there and it was great. Late night volleyball on sand courts with curvy coeds cheering us on from their balconies. At least in my '80s era, Troy Hall always had plenty of openings during summer term.

I think Miami signed Bobby Washington but he bailed out at the last minute. This year they pursued the top RB in the state but he switched to FSU on signing day.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking foward to it, especially the curvy coeds :D

Hey Boom-
Manuel Wright just declared for the Supplemental draft. What do you know/think of him? What round do you think he is worth taking in (assuming you think he's worth taking at all)?

caneaddict said:
Hey Boom-
Manuel Wright just declared for the Supplemental draft. What do you know/think of him? What round do you think he is worth taking in (assuming you think he's worth taking at all)?

Good player, can play inside or out in a 3-4, seems a strange decision as he would have been a very high player had he stayed, but should get taken in the 3/4 area and actually would make sense for Saban as we need big DT's inside.

Back
Top Bottom