Ask Brett Tessler | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Brett....

Who are some of your clients entering into this year's draft. I'd like to keep an eye on them and see where they end up.

Thanks

TerryTate said:
Brett....

Who are some of your clients entering into this year's draft. I'd like to keep an eye on them and see where they end up.

Thanks

Thanks to everybody for your questions about the upcoming draft. All of my new clients are doing well and eagerly anticipating next weekend. Needless to say I've been a little busy this past month. Right now it appears that most of my guys are mid-to-late round prospects. Erik Pears who hurt his shoulder at the East-West Shrine Game and couldn't work out at the Combine will be 100% by the start of camp and will be a steal for whoever takes him. Jon Goldsberry is the best fullback in the draft and I'd be shocked if he wasn't playing in the NFL based on his special teams ability alone. He's had phenominal personal workouts for scouts, a tremendous All-Star game showing, and has been brought in for several pre-draft visits. Stephen Cucci, my tight end from Houston, has perfect size and hands for the position. He dominated the Vegas Classic All-Star game and has been brought in for pre-draft visits as well (teams are only allowed to bring in a total of 20 guys before the draft).

I also have three other small-school players including Chad Friehauf, the Division II Player of the Year who threw for 4,646 yards in '04 and set several Division II passing records. He has all the tools that teams are looking for and would be a perfect developmental prospect. The Dolphins and Bills worked him out last week and he did extrememly well. I'll be talking to all the NFL teams next week to get a better idea of who's interested in who.

Wow, this Friehauf sounds interesting. I've never heard of him but he sounds interesting.

Brett,
Just out of curiosity how does one go about the process of declaring for the NFL draft? Or even better the NBA draft (I know your not a basketball agent)? Is it possible for a "regular guy" to declare himself eligible for the draft if he meets all the other requirments?

mls737 said:
Brett,
Just out of curiosity how does one go about the process of declaring for the NFL draft? Or even better the NBA draft (I know your not a basketball agent)? Is it possible for a "regular guy" to declare himself eligible for the draft if he meets all the other requirments?

When any college player's eligibilty is up, he automatically enters the draft pool. If a guy decides to declare for the draft early and he's met his league's minimum age requirement (unlike Maurice Clarrett last year), all he needs to do is file a letter with the league office.

When you ask if a regular guy can be drafted, the answer is technically "yes". If he played any college ball, a team can still draft his rights when his eligibility would have ended even if he's no longer playing that sport (like the Houston Texans did with Drew Hensen a few years ago). If it's somebody who's never played college sports but meets the leagues' age requirements, he needs to send a letter to the league office making himself eligible. If not drafted he would then be free to sign with anybody.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Hey Brett,
How did your guys do?

We did well. 6 new guys in. I was shocked that my fullback Goldsberry slipped through the draft, but there was so much interest afterwards that the Bills gave him the highest signing bonus of any free agent this year and he should definitely make their roster. My punter Paul Ernster got drafted by the Broncos and it looks like it's his job to lose. Everybody else wound up in great situations as well.

Clumpy said:
We need a young developmental FB behind Shelton :up:

What's up with Erik Pears?

Wait until you see Goldsberry on special teams... you're gonna love him. Mel Kiper had him listed as the #2 fullback, and he's gonna make alot of teams look foolish for not drafting him. I talked to Mike Mularkey and Tom Donahoe yesterday and they're stoked to have him. Pears wound up in Denver and his shoulder (which kept him from being drafted) will be completely healed in less than a month.

Brett Tessler said:
We did well. 6 new guys in. I was shocked that my fullback Goldsberry slipped through the draft, but there was so much interest afterwards that the Bills gave him the highest signing bonus of any free agent this year and he should definitely make their roster. My punter Paul Ernster got drafted by the Broncos and it looks like it's his job to lose. Everybody else wound up in great situations as well.
Glad to hear all went well! Any updated status of Trent? Any possibilities he lands with the Fins again? Best of luck with the upcoming year!

Brett Tessler said:
Clumpy, wait until you see Goldsberry on special teams... you're gonna love him. Mel Kiper had him listed as the #2 fullback, and he's gonna make alot of teams look foolish for not drafting him. I talked to Mike Mularkey and Tom Donahoe yesterday and they're stoked to have him. Pears wound up in Denver and his shoulder (which kept him from being drafted) will be completely healed in less than a month.

Thanks Brett :up:

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Glad to hear all went well! Any updated status of Trent? Any possibilities he lands with the Fins again? Best of luck with the upcoming year!

Trent has recently decided to hang 'em up. We had an opportunity to sign with the Packers, but at the end of the day he decided it was time to move on.

Brett Tessler said:
Trent has recently decided to hang 'em up. We had an opportunity to sign with the Packers, but at the end of the day he decided it was time to move on.
Thanks for the info. If you talk to him in the near future, let him know we wish nothing but the best for him!:beerbang:

Brett, I am looking at playing in the AFL next year possibly. Not sure if I would make it, but I am in training. If I play in the AFL until I reach requirements, would that still make me eligible for the draft? Also, I might need an agent if I make it one day....know anybody? lol :)

WelcomeBack said:
Brett, I am looking at playing in the AFL next year possibly. Not sure if I would make it, but I am in training. If I play in the AFL until I reach requirements, would that still make me eligible for the draft? Also, I might need an agent if I make it one day....know anybody? lol :)
That's kool man... did you play in college? What kinda standards you at? Position? Size?

EDIT: baring in mind you're a year older than me I guess you didn't play in college.

Back
Top Bottom