Ask Brett Tessler | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

nick19991 said:
how does the contract work? I mean what % does the agent get of the clients salary? or is it difference in every case? My guess would be that the agent would get about 10% of the salary

I wish your guess was correct. It's actually about 1/3 of that. Marketing is typically anywhere from 10-20%.

DonShula84 said:
Hey Brett, great to have you at the site. I'm also a political science major and I was wondering if you went to law school after you finished your undergrad work? If so what type of law did you focus on to get where you are at today?

Law school was my original plan until I started working with Mike Alstott immediately after undergrad.

Brett Tessler said:
I wish your guess was correct. It's actually about 1/3 of that. Marketing is typically anywhere from 10-20%.

now I see why an agent needs so many clients

GreenMonster said:
Brett,

How long after the draft is it that you will start to field phone calls for an undrafted client. Will they have already contacted you or is it strickly right after the draft the phone starts ringing. Also how long do you wait to take in all the offers and make a decision on what team to sign with. For a they guys at the top how many offers do the top guys get.. I saw this year only 4-5 players got more than 20k+ to sign, do those guys have any series bidding for there talents.. Thanx GreenMonster

I call every team the week before the draft to get a heads up on which of my clients they might have the most free agent interest in if they're not drafted. I don't like surprises, and I want to know beforehand if a team is interested so I can study their situation closer to determine if it would be the right place to put my guy. If there's an advantage to being undrafted, it's that you can choose where you want to go if there's multiple teams interested. Obviously things change quickly during the draft and you need to be on top of everything. For example, if you represent a quarterback who might go undrafted and a team who had a major need before the draft selects one in the 1st-4th round, you obviously no longer want to go there. The most impotant thing when placing a free agent is puting him where he has the best chance to make it. Getting a big signing bonus is great, but only if it's the perfect situation. One of my guys this year ended up being one of those 20K+ guys you mentioned (he was the highest paid free agent in Bills history), but most importantly he's in the right place. Some teams don't have the cap flexibility and can't afford to pay free agents big bonuses. Because of this, a lot of agents pass up great opportunities for their clients by puting them in lesser situations for a little more money up front. When my players and I are developing our game plan going into the draft I ask them, "Do you want to make a few more thousand now, or $230,000 more later?" My guys trust my knowledge and know that I'll do whatever's in their best interest.

When the draft is winding down it becomes utter mayhem. If you represent a top-priority free agent, teams will start calling as early as the 5th round. As soon as the draft ends, every one of my phone lines lights up three calls deep with teams making offers. It's the most stressful thing you could imagine multiplied by ten. It's kind of crazy when teams are trying to recruit one of your guys and you have Bill Belichick on one line, Mike Shanahan on another, and Bill Polian on the next all trying to sweet-talk you. Basically, you need to make a decision rather quickly or you might lose the perfect situation because teams can only wait so long until they have to move on to the next guy.

Brett,

Thanx for the great answer. I knew it must be crazy after the draft but its a big choice to make in such a short time. I saw Goldsberry did well and seems to be on a team that will use him like you said. I did see one report in which it had the signing bonues and someone had got 21k although I can't remember who, and 2-3 others got 20k including your client.

As far as pay for your clients is it better to be drafted in a late round (6-7) or to sign as a UDFA. Do 7th rounders even sign a signing bonus and do UDFA sign similar contracts that draft picks sign.

Brett Tessler said:
I call every team the week before the draft to get a heads up on which of my clients they might have the most free agent interest in if they're not drafted. I don't like surprises, and I want to know beforehand if a team is interested so I can study their situation closer to determine if it would be the right place to put my guy. If there's an advantage to being undrafted, it's that you can choose where you want to go if there's multiple teams interested. Obviously things change quickly during the draft and you need to be on top of everything. For example, if you represent a quarterback who might go undrafted and a team who had a major need before the draft selects one in the 1st-4th round, you obviously no longer want to go there. The most impotant thing when placing a free agent is puting him where he has the best chance to make it. Getting a big signing bonus is great, but only if it's the perfect situation. One of my guys this year ended up being one of those 20K+ guys you mentioned (he was the highest paid free agent in Bills history), but most importantly he's in the right place. Some teams don't have the cap flexibility and can't afford to pay free agents big bonuses. Because of this, a lot of agents pass up great opportunities for their clients by puting them in lesser situations for a little more money up front. When my players and I are developing our game plan going into the draft I ask them, "Do you want to make a few more thousand now, or $230,000 more later?" My guys trust my knowledge and know that I'll do whatever's in their best interest.

When the draft is winding down it becomes utter mayhem. If you represent a top-priority free agent, teams will start calling as early as the 5th round. As soon as the draft ends, every one of my phone lines lights up three calls deep with teams making offers. It's the most stressful thing you could imagine multiplied by ten. It's kind of crazy when teams are trying to recruit one of your guys and you have Bill Belichick on one line, Mike Shanahan on another, and Bill Polian on the next all trying to sweet-talk you. Basically, you need to make a decision rather quickly or you might lose the perfect situation because teams can only wait so long until they have to move on to the next guy.

Good stuff.

I know you said you work alone. But during those stressful 5th round-on times when you're talking to 10 people at once, do you have anyone else manning the phones??

Also, what are some things about "higher end" representation that you don't care for?? You represent later round/free agent clients by choice. Are things more personal/down-to-earth on this level?? Is there a more "at home" feeling on this level than at "the top"?? I can understand the reward that comes with having your own niche and loving it.

Or is it just because you'd otherwise have to hire somebody (you want something done right, you have to do it yourself). :lol: ;)

LZoeller12 said:
Brett,
in your opinion how much can a QB get noticed at a Scout Camp Combine. I got the size and arm strength, but I got injured in college, and then got stuck with the daily grind of having to pay the bills. Of course like everybody else, I think I have the tools, but I'm just not sure of what is the best way to go about showcasing them. Are combines the best way, open tryouts maybe? Thanks.

If you're trying to break into Arena2 or another developmental league and don't have any prior film, regional scouting combines and open tryouts are probably your only shot. I'm sure you know that your chances are slim, but if this is what your heart is set on then go for it!

Hi Brett...

Quick question...not sure if this has been asked or not..

How does an agent's commission work? Does an agent take their 2-3% (I think that's what the standard is, please correct me if I'm wrong) from the upfront money (signing bonus, etc?) or do they take a commision on the total worth of the deal? Even though in most cases, a large percentage may never be paid.

GreenMonster said:
Brett,

Thanx for the great answer. I knew it must be crazy after the draft but its a big choice to make in such a short time. I saw Goldsberry did well and seems to be on a team that will use him like you said. I did see one report in which it had the signing bonues and someone had got 21k although I can't remember who, and 2-3 others got 20k including your client.

As far as pay for your clients is it better to be drafted in a late round (6-7) or to sign as a UDFA. Do 7th rounders even sign a signing bonus and do UDFA sign similar contracts that draft picks sign.

From a financial standpoint it's still usually better to be drafted late. In the case of Jon Goldsberry he ended up getting paid like a draft pick AND got to choose his team (instead of the other way around). The contract structures aren't much different for a 2nd day draft pick or free agent.

Hey Brett.
Two quick questions for you:
1:The Dolphins are about 6 mil under the cap now, how much of it will it take to sign all the drafted rookies?
2: Who do you see being released in June to help the cap situation?
Thanks!

Muck said:
I know you said you work alone. But during those stressful 5th round-on times when you're talking to 10 people at once, do you have anyone else manning the phones??

Also, what are some things about "higher end" representation that you don't care for?? You represent later round/free agent clients by choice. Are things more personal/down-to-earth on this level?? Is there a more "at home" feeling on this level than at "the top"?? I can understand the reward that comes with having your own niche and loving it.

Or is it just because you'd otherwise have to hire somebody (you want something done right, you have to do it yourself). :lol: ;)

To answer the first part of your question, I do have somebody else with me during the draft to take my players' calls while I'm on the other lines dealing with teams.

Also, I tend to go after the later-round prospects for many of the reasons you mentioned. There's a lot of talent there, and you don't need to jump through the same hoops that you do when recruiting a top guy. Make no mistake though, even late-round/free agents have several big-time agents recruiting them. Nothing is easy in this business.

miamirick said:
Hi Brett...

Quick question...not sure if this has been asked or not..

How does an agent's commission work? Does an agent take their 3% (I think that's what the standard is, please correct me if I'm wrong) from the upfront money (signing bonus, etc?) or do they take a commision on the total worth of the deal? Even though in most cases, a large percentage may never be paid.

Agents collect on the money they negotiated once it's paid to the player. The only money agents don't take a commission on is standard contract stuff like Super Bowl bonuses, playoff money, etc.

Back
Top Bottom