Ask Brett Tessler | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

PhinDude88 said:
Hey Brett,

How exactly does being an agent work? Do you fly around meeting teams and work with them on a contract for your clients or what? And do you have any clients that play another sport?

Most of the contract work gets done via fax/phone. Right now I only represent NFL players, but if Lebron James or Dwyane Wade called I would probably consider expanding.

Hope everybody has a safe 4th of July weekend!

Hey Brett, I actually meet Chad Friehauf last week. He is buddies with a guy on my softball team. They know each other from growing up in Brush, CO. Anyway, nice kid but very quiet and pretty skinny. He didn't seem very confident that he would stick with the Broncos. He said he was running 5th string. I imagine if he bulks up and Van Pelt or Mauck can fill the back-up role, they might get rid of Kannell and keep him on the practice squad. It's strange how many average quarterbacks there are in the league and yet how difficult it is for a kid to break through unless he's really a top tier guy.

DENVERDOLFAN said:
Hey Brett, I actually meet Chad Friehauf last week. He is buddies with a guy on my softball team. They know each other from growing up in Brush, CO. Anyway, nice kid but very quiet and pretty skinny. He didn't seem very confident that he would stick with the Broncos. He said he was running 5th string. I imagine if he bulks up and Van Pelt or Mauck can fill the back-up role, they might get rid of Kannell and keep him on the practice squad.

Yep, that's Chad alright. He wouldn't tell you he liked his chances if he were running first-team. I've never met a more humble, reserved athlete since I've been in the business. The good news is that on the field he's an intense competitior who will do whatever it takes to succeed. He has great arm strength, mobility, and intelligence. Once he adds a little more bulk, there's no reason why he won't develop into a successful NFL quarterback. You can expect Chad to at least be on the Broncos practice squad (if not the roster) when the season starts.

Brett Tessler said:
Yep, that's Chad alright. He wouldn't tell you he liked his chances if he were running first-team. I've never met a more humble, reserved athlete since I've been in the business. The good news is that on the field he's an intense competitior who will do whatever it takes to succeed. He has great arm strength, mobility, and intelligence. Once he adds a little more bulk, there's no reason why he won't develop into a successful NFL quarterback. You can expect Chad to at least be on the Broncos practice squad (if not the roster) when the season starts.

Not a Bronco fan, but I'm definitely rooting for the guy. He seems like a great kid.

Brett Tessler said:
Most of the contract work gets done via fax/phone. Right now I only represent NFL players, but if Lebron James or Dwyane Wade called I would probably consider expanding.

Hope everybody has a safe 4th of July weekend!

When you consider expanding, hit me up for an interview. How often does an average player change his agent? I know some of the bigger guys move around, but do the marginal starters/backups still get alot of bidding by agents trying to sell their agency. Is it a constant struggle to keep your players or are most in for the long-run. Lastly how much advice/guidance do you give your new players when they come in the league, or are you strickly financials. As always thanx for the inside look into something I am so interested in. GreenMonster

GreenMonster said:
When you consider expanding, hit me up for an interview. How often does an average player change his agent? I know some of the bigger guys move around, but do the marginal starters/backups still get alot of bidding by agents trying to sell their agency. Is it a constant struggle to keep your players or are most in for the long-run. Lastly how much advice/guidance do you give your new players when they come in the league, or are you strickly financials. As always thanx for the inside look into something I am so interested in.

This business has become so competitive that every player has agents coming after them. The lower-level players switch agents just as much if not more than the top guys because if things aren't going their way (they're not starting, they're not getting paid, they get released) they often point the finger at their agent. I try to work with intelligent, accountable guys who understand that if I can't make it happen for them nobody can. Usually, most players either stay with one agent throughout their entire career or switch agents frequently. You can tell alot about the character of a player based on how many agents they've had (and who their agent is).

Hey Brett, what are your feelings on, Manuel Wright? Do you think the dolphins gave up too much for him? Do you think they should have gone after him at all? Do you see any potential?

t2thejz said:
Hey Brett, what are your feelings on, Manuel Wright? Do you think the dolphins gave up too much for him? Do you think they should have gone after him at all? Do you see any potential?

I think it was a great pick for the Dolphins. Anytime you can get a talented defensive lineman in the low rounds it's a no-brainer. They have very little to lose and possibly everything to gain.

Brett Tessler said:
I think it was a great pick for the Dolphins. Anytime you can get a talented defensive lineman in the low rounds it's a no-brainer. They have very little to lose and possibly everything to gain.

hey Brett, do you know any thing about the recruiting process from high school to college?

PhinDude88 said:
Hey Brett, who is that guy behind you?

That is my client Morgan Pears who's been with the New York Giants the past couple of seasons.

Hey Brett !
what are the odds we will sign Ronnie before Frisco signs their guy and why can't we get past this sequence signing stuff. Thanks for your time.

Doktor Ivel said:
hey Brett, do you know any thing about the recruiting process from high school to college?

I'm sorry, but I don't ever deal with that. My guess is that you'll be able to find plenty of information online. Maybe start with the NCAA website.

Hi Brett. Thanks for taking the time to run this post. I was wondering about the group that you need to put together to take care of an athlete's interests. I am a financial planner in New York. Do you simply take care of the contract negotiations? Do you provide the player with legal advise on outside matters? Do you handle his financial interests. If so, do these people work for you directly or are they referrals?

Back
Top Bottom