Ask Brett Tessler | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Hello Brett! I was wondering when you working on a contract for your player, and a team does something that just pisses you off, how do you re-group, and focus on what's best for your client? Thanks again for being part of Finheaven!:beerbang:

Phinsdude said:
Brett, two quick questions. Do you need a Law Degree to become an agent, and what does becoming an agent actually entail. I've been getting a lot of people, including some athletes encouraging me in that field. I have my own passion which is film, but I never want to close the door on something I would be good at. I was just wondering what it entails, you are the perfect guy to ask. Second, because I can't get a straight answer from the athletes I've asked: They have there windows blacked out/limo tint, which is illegal I believe. How do athletes get away with that, or do they all the time? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Read my response a few posts up and it should answer your questions about becoming an agent. As far as athletes getting away with legal infractions, their chances are no better than yours or mine. I've had illegal tint since I've had a driver's license and never had any problems (although now I'll probably get pulled over for it tomorrow).

zephon said:
But doesn't France also represent Braylon?

I know he had like 3 clients in the top 10.....I think? With Carlos Rogers being the 3rd?

No. Todd France represents Ronnie Brown, Lamont Smith represents Braylon Edwards, and Eugene Parker represents Cedric Benson.

Brett Tessler said:
Read my response a few posts up and it should answer your questions about becoming an agent. As far as athletes getting away with legal infractions, their chances are no better than yours or mine. I've had illegal tint since I've had a driver's license and never had any problems (although now I'll probably get pulled over for it tomorrow).

:lol:

Brett, what's your relationship with other agents? Do you talk with guys like Lamont Smith and Todd France or do you guys pretty much have no contact with each other.

Also, what's your opinion on 'the holy one', Drew Rosenhaus?

Doktor Ivel said:
thats cool, adidas just bought out reebok.....do your clients, ever ecpecially want certain sponsers?? how hard is it for you to get them sponsered?

Depends. If you represent a good player at a high-profile position, there's no shortage of endorsement opportunities to choose from. This might surprise you, but backup quarterbacks are among the highest paid players by shoe companies due to their constant television exposure on the sidelines during games.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Hello Brett! I was wondering when you working on a contract for your player, and a team does something that just pisses you off, how do you re-group, and focus on what's best for your client? Thanks again for being part of Finheaven!:beerbang:

You just answered your own question... No matter how much I may personally despise a team's tactics, it's my duty as an agent to take the bullets and "do what's best for my client" regardless.

Muck said:
How do you feel about the whole liability insurance decision that the NFLPA has handed down. Seems pretty shady from here.

Please don't get me started on this...

I just read a commentary about the new agent testing. Said is supposedly harder.

did you take the new test?

did you notice any difference in it from previous one? ..was is harder?

And because of this will there be fewer agents "qualified" for the NFL?

HysterikiLL said:
Brett, what's your relationship with other agents? Do you talk with guys like Lamont Smith and Todd France or do you guys pretty much have no contact with each other.

Also, what's your opinion on 'the holy one', Drew Rosenhaus?

Aside from a few colleagues that I respect, I try to have as little to do with most agents as possible.

this might be kinda odd to answer so you don't have to but.....

....do you see yourself becoming a factor with the upper-level talent in college with a few more years experience or do you like dealing with 2nd and 3rd tier players? (I hope that doesn't sound bad...I didn't mean for it to at all.)

Brett ... question for you in light of the Ronnie Brown contract situation. How much time per day would you guess Todd France is actively working on negotiation this deal? That's not a leading question, I'm just curious.

For the last couple of days, I have been searching for a way to contact an NFL Agent. Obviously, it isn’t an easy thing to do and luckily I stumbled on to this site. I love the site and thank Brett Tessler for taking time and answering questions for us.

Since I was a kid, I have always wanted to become a lawyer. At the same time, I loved the Dolphins and grew up adoring football. I am 5'8" though and only 120 pounds so my chance of ever actually playing it have always been non existent. The other day, I was reading about Drew Rosenhaus and saw that he graduated from Duke Law. This stunned me but then it soaked in as common sense that most Agents are lawyers. My biggest fear is getting into a career I dread and obviously a lawyer is a pretty hard job to like unless you are doing something you love.

Due to all of this, I have obviously started to take great interest in becoming an NFL Agent. I am not sold yet but I sure would like to get more information about it. I am about to leave to UCF for undergraduate. I am already majored in Legal Studies but obviously looking for something else to either major or minor in. Any ideas there?

I am also very eager to start learning. I know Drew Rosenhaus has a book out but as you said, I don’t like the idea of Agents being known as Sharks. Any reading material or other things I could read so I can learn more?

Another question, and probably a rude one, is how does salary go? I know its rude to ask how much someone makes but I would like to know how an NFL Agent is paid. Do you get a percent of someone's contract, is it a set amount or is it hourly? Also, how much would an average one make?

Any information whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for giving out a helping hand. Good luck with the rest of your career and continuing to have great success. Thanks!

- Jason Penedo

Brett Tessler said:
Aside from a few colleagues that I respect, I try to have as little to do with most agents as possible.

Brett, your phone is everything to you. It is to me, but not as much as you, that's why I would trust your answer. I have had problems with several different cell phone companies, and need to figure out where to go now. What cell phone provider do you use. If an Agent uses a company, I'll trust that company. Thanks Brett

zephon said:
I just read a commentary about the new agent testing. Said is supposedly harder.

did you take the new test?

did you notice any difference in it from previous one? ..was is harder?

And because of this will there be fewer agents "qualified" for the NFL?

I won't have to take the new test, but from what I hear it's much more difficult than the old one. I don't think it's a bad idea for the NFLPA to start raising the competency bar for incoming agents.

DrAstroZoom said:
Brett ... question for you in light of the Ronnie Brown contract situation. How much time per day would you guess Todd France is actively working on negotiation this deal? That's not a leading question, I'm just curious.

Every agent is different in their approach to getting a deal done. I'm very proactive and would be in constant talks with the team. Other agents play it cool and wait for the team to come to them. I can't say what Todd France is doing, but I can tell you that the longer Ronnie Brown remains unsigned the lesser his chances of having a productive rookie season.

Back
Top Bottom