Ask Brett Tessler | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

JPenedo said:
For the last couple of days, I have been searching for a way to contact an NFL Agent. Obviously, it isn’t an easy thing to do and luckily I stumbled on to this site. I love the site and thank Brett Tessler for taking time and answering questions for us.

Since I was a kid, I have always wanted to become a lawyer. At the same time, I loved the Dolphins and grew up adoring football. I am 5'8" though and only 120 pounds so my chance of ever actually playing it have always been non existent. The other day, I was reading about Drew Rosenhaus and saw that he graduated from Duke Law. This stunned me but then it soaked in as common sense that most Agents are lawyers. My biggest fear is getting into a career I dread and obviously a lawyer is a pretty hard job to like unless you are doing something you love.

Due to all of this, I have obviously started to take great interest in becoming an NFL Agent. I am not sold yet but I sure would like to get more information about it. I am about to leave to UCF for undergraduate. I am already majored in Legal Studies but obviously looking for something else to either major or minor in. Any ideas there?

I am also very eager to start learning. I know Drew Rosenhaus has a book out but as you said, I don’t like the idea of Agents being known as Sharks. Any reading material or other things I could read so I can learn more?

Another question, and probably a rude one, is how does salary go? I know its rude to ask how much someone makes but I would like to know how an NFL Agent is paid. Do you get a percent of someone's contract, is it a set amount or is it hourly? Also, how much would an average one make?

Any information whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for giving out a helping hand. Good luck with the rest of your career and continuing to have great success. Thanks!

- Jason Penedo

Were these questions missed? Its been about a week now and I am about to leave to college. I wanna sign up for my majors asap. You seemed to replied to a few others since then so I just want to make sure you didnt miss mine. Thanks.

JPenedo said:
Were these questions missed? Its been about a week now and I am about to leave to college. I wanna sign up for my majors asap. You seemed to replied to a few others since then so I just want to make sure you didnt miss mine. Thanks.

Brett is not ignoring you, not his style. try going here (this can also be done by clicking on his name) and send him a PM or e-mail. Good luck Dolphin fan !

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/member.php?userid=3917

I wish I could but I cant. Only 2 posts...3 now so not enough for PM. He also blocked email which is understandable.

JPenedo said:
For the last couple of days, I have been searching for a way to contact an NFL Agent. Obviously, it isn’t an easy thing to do and luckily I stumbled on to this site. I love the site and thank Brett Tessler for taking time and answering questions for us.

Since I was a kid, I have always wanted to become a lawyer. At the same time, I loved the Dolphins and grew up adoring football. I am 5'8" though and only 120 pounds so my chance of ever actually playing it have always been non existent. The other day, I was reading about Drew Rosenhaus and saw that he graduated from Duke Law. This stunned me but then it soaked in as common sense that most Agents are lawyers. My biggest fear is getting into a career I dread and obviously a lawyer is a pretty hard job to like unless you are doing something you love.

Due to all of this, I have obviously started to take great interest in becoming an NFL Agent. I am not sold yet but I sure would like to get more information about it. I am about to leave to UCF for undergraduate. I am already majored in Legal Studies but obviously looking for something else to either major or minor in. Any ideas there?

I am also very eager to start learning. I know Drew Rosenhaus has a book out but as you said, I don’t like the idea of Agents being known as Sharks. Any reading material or other things I could read so I can learn more?

Another question, and probably a rude one, is how does salary go? I know its rude to ask how much someone makes but I would like to know how an NFL Agent is paid. Do you get a percent of someone's contract, is it a set amount or is it hourly? Also, how much would an average one make?

Any information whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for giving out a helping hand. Good luck with the rest of your career and continuing to have great success. Thanks!

- Jason Penedo

Jason,
Sorry it took me a little while to get back to you. Being as you're just getting started in undergrad you don't need to worry about which classes to take just yet. Try a variety of subjects and find out what interests you the most. If you decide you still want to become an agent, law school is always a good option. Even though you don't need to be an attorney to become an agent (I'm not), it's a great degree to have regardless. Lastly, I believe that in the end it doesn't really matter what you study. If this were as easy as just taking a class or getting a degree everybody would do it. Never has a player asked me what classes I took or what my minor was. I majored in political science with the plan of going to law school, but I'd still be where I am today if I studied psychology, engineering, basket weaving, etc. To succeed as an agent you need to have "it".

To answer the second part of your question, agents are compensated based on their production. In the NFL we take a 3% commission, so if you represent several highly paid players you stand to make alot. If you represent nobody (like most wannabe agents) you make nothing. I would not advise anybody to get into this business strictly for the money. Lastly, I wish you the very best in college and hope you work hard and have fun.
BT

Dear Mr. Brett Tessler,

I am an incoming freshman at the University of Florida. I am currently majoring in political science. Is there a way I can personally contact you? You can reach me at wesley1@ufl.edu. I would like to become an agent like yourself. If you have the time to reply I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
zephon said:
this might be kinda odd to answer so you don't have to but.....

....do you see yourself becoming a factor with the upper-level talent in college with a few more years experience or do you like dealing with 2nd and 3rd tier players? (I hope that doesn't sound bad...I didn't mean for it to at all.)

That's a fair question. I guess because I've done well with the guys I've represented it doesn't make sense for me to change my gameplan. Sure I could go after the top pick in next year's draft but it would be very costly and time-consuming (not to mention the chances of getting him would be slim). College recruiting is the dirtiest part of the business and many agents go bust trying to invest everything in one guy that doesn't pan out. I'm in this for the long haul. That's not to say that I won't ever go after a top pick, but when I do it'll have to be the perfect situation.

Phinsdude said:
Brett, your phone is everything to you. It is to me, but not as much as you, that's why I would trust your answer. I have had problems with several different cell phone companies, and need to figure out where to go now. What cell phone provider do you use. If an Agent uses a company, I'll trust that company. Thanks Brett

I'm with T-Mobile.

i hope you all give this man his props. dmac looked very solid last nite, his feet looked great in pass protection, his insertion into the lineup looks to have really helped our line play

claytonAndDuper said:
i hope you all give this man his props. dmac looked very solid last nite, his feet looked great in pass protection, his insertion into the lineup looks to have really helped our line play

Like I said in another post, I've read some really nice comments from many of you regarding my client, Damion McIntosh. D-Mac has been a visitor here at FinHeaven and I know he appreciates the support. Let's hope he stays healthy and keeps up the great work!

Brett Tessler said:
Like I said in another post, I've read some really nice comments from many of you regarding my client, Damion McIntosh. D-Mac has been a visitor here at FinHeaven and I know he appreciates the support. Let's hope he stays healthy and keeps up the great work!
:beerbang:

Clarett

As an agent how much value do you really think he holds now?And do you really see him landing a spot on someone's roster?

brett, my reply was geared more towards people recognizing the fact that many did not agree with you, when you broke this info about mac, they ought to give you your props for coming thru man

claytonAndDuper said:
brett, my reply was geared more towards people recognizing the fact that many did not agree with you, when you broke this info about mac, they ought to give you your props for coming thru man

Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom