Ask Brett Tessler | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

cnc66 said:
Hey Brett !
what are the odds we will sign Ronnie before Frisco signs their guy and why can't we get past this sequence signing stuff. Thanks for your time.

It all depends on the negotiating strategy of Ronnie's agent and how good the Dolphins' first offer is. Sometimes a team will make an early offer that's too good to pass up (like the Broncos just did for one of my draft picks) and it's smart to take it. On the other hand, some teams won't make offers until training camp is around the corner and everybody's back is against the wall. The reason why so many agents wait for other players to sign first is that they're afraid of making a mistake that will come back to haunt them in recruiting. It takes a confident agent to pull the trigger early and get his guy the best deal possible before the rookie pool dries up.

Thanks Brett,
Well, lets hope things move forward because Ronnie's agent has balls and we make an appropriate offer !

Hello Brett! When you are dealing with GM's and personnel people around the league, without mentioning any names, do feel more comfortable dealing with some rather then others? Do you feel that a lot of the personnel people that you deal with are straight shooters, or do you get the feeling at times that you are getting smoke blown at you?

adamprez2003 said:
Hi Brett. Thanks for taking the time to run this post. I was wondering about the group that you need to put together to take care of an athlete's interests. I am a financial planner in New York. Do you simply take care of the contract negotiations? Do you provide the player with legal advise on outside matters? Do you handle his financial interests. If so, do these people work for you directly or are they referrals?

There isn't one specific "group" that I've assembled to work with my players. They're free to work with whomever they choose. While I directly handle all contract matters, I also oversee every other aspect of their careers and give them advice when necessary. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you an address where you can send me some literature. Thanks

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Hello Brett! When you are dealing with GM's and personnel people around the league, without mentioning any names, do feel more comfortable dealing with some rather then others? Do you feel that a lot of the personnel people that you deal with are straight shooters, or do you get the feeling at times that you are getting smoke blown at you?

Of course some GMs are better to deal with than others. To be honest there's some that I love and others that I can't stand (but they'll never know it). While some are more straight shooters than others, as an agent you know that at the end of the day they're all going to do what's best for their team (and not your client).

How do you get certified by the NFLPA? How often do you have to renew the certification? Do you have to be a lawyer to be a certified agent? Can you be an agent without being certified by the NFLPA?

Doktor Ivel said:
hey brett, do you as an agent help your clients get sponserships from various companies?

Yes I do. Just last week I got 4 of my new players shoe deals with Reebok and 1 with Nike.

VJ1252 said:
How do you get certified by the NFLPA? How often do you have to renew the certification? Do you have to be a lawyer to be a certified agent? Can you be an agent without being certified by the NFLPA?

In order to become an NFL agent you must be certified by the NFL Players Association. It requires a one-time non-refundable certification fee along with background checks and a written exam. Once certified, you pay annual dues and other mandatory fees. This is all very costly and it's gotten to the point where it's almost too difficult and expensive for new agents to break into the business. While you don't have to be a lawyer, you do have to be certified.

brett do you have any inside scoop on this ronnie brown situation, or this situation with these top 3 holdouts in brown braylon and benson?

Brett Tessler said:
Yes I do. Just last week I got 4 of my new players shoe deals with Reebok and 1 with Nike.
thats cool, adidas just bought out reebok.....do your clients, ever ecpecially want certain sponsers?? how hard is it for you to get them sponsered?

arsenal said:
brett do you have any inside scoop on this ronnie brown situation, or this situation with these top 3 holdouts in brown braylon and benson?

Here you have 3 guys drafted near each other whose agents are all afraid to be the first to make a move. Chances are when one of them signs, the others will follow shortly thereafter.

Brett, two quick questions. Do you need a Law Degree to become an agent, and what does becoming an agent actually entail. I've been getting a lot of people, including some athletes encouraging me in that field. I have my own passion which is film, but I never want to close the door on something I would be good at. I was just wondering what it entails, you are the perfect guy to ask. Second, because I can't get a straight answer from the athletes I've asked: They have there windows blacked out/limo tint, which is illegal I believe. How do athletes get away with that, or do they all the time? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Brett-

Brett Tessler said:
Here you have 3 guys drafted near each other whose agents are all afraid to be the first to make a move. Chances are when one of them signs, the others will follow shortly thereafter.

But doesn't France also represent Braylon?

I know he had like 3 clients in the top 10.....I think? With Carlos Rogers being the 3rd?

How do you feel about the whole liability insurance decision that the NFLPA has handed down. Seems pretty shady from here.

Back
Top Bottom