Ask Brett Tessler | Page 38 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Brett Tessler said:
Yeah, he's a moderator here at FinHeaven.
Brett....

not to "cane" the issue here, but i have a question about Ronnie Brown... Before i ask please understand that we haven't had a top pick in a draft since i've been a fan, so i don't know what usually to expect or what happens with high picks... but i'm assuming you've probably represented some in your day.

I am sure no one in the organization is expecting Ronnie to come out putting up pro-bowl numbers.... and i know Saban is publicly saying "ronnie is doing fine".... but is there any sweating behind the scenes?

Second question - do you think its fair that due to standards developed over time, that teams have to pay players so much money, just because of where they were selected in the draft.... it seems there is no protection to the teams if they draft a player and they turn out not to be worth the dough. (please note i am NOT inferring that RB is a bust, i am speaking in general. ex. Leaf, Akili Smith, etc...)

Do you not think there should be a team protection clause in the contracts? perhaps performance-based contracts? what do you think about that whole thing?

Brett, question about this agreement between the team and Damion McIntosh during the offseason that they would not sign or draft another tackle to compete with him. Did it happen? Is it written? And, lastly, would moving Damion to right tackle where he would compete with the free agent acquisition Stockar McDougle constitute a violation of this agreement?

Hey Brett...

Not sure if you can answer this one or not....

Back when we first signed D-Mac, how did that whole situation go after the Fins determined that he would need surgery? It kind of made the old regime look a little, shall we say, inept?? Again, I don't know whether or not you can elaborate on this and I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I would like to know how things went down.

Brett, I thought I read way back in an earlier post that you graduated from Purdue. Is that true? If so, do you know where I can get a copy of historical records for Purdue's football team, maybe even some pictures? My great, great uncle was a Purdue graduate (early 20's) and I believe was on the team.

texasPHINSfan said:
Brett....

I am sure no one in the organization is expecting Ronnie to come out putting up pro-bowl numbers.... and i know Saban is publicly saying "ronnie is doing fine".... but is there any sweating behind the scenes?

Second question - do you think its fair that due to standards developed over time, that teams have to pay players so much money, just because of where they were selected in the draft.... it seems there is no protection to the teams if they draft a player and they turn out not to be worth the dough. (please note i am NOT inferring that RB is a bust, i am speaking in general. ex. Leaf, Akili Smith, etc...)

Do you not think there should be a team protection clause in the contracts? perhaps performance-based contracts? what do you think about that whole thing?

Only time will tell if Ronnie Brown is the real deal or not, but with the investment the Dolphins made in him (20 million guaranteed) they should be concerned. It's a HUGE gamble that could set the franchise back a long way if he doesn't pan out. Why shouldn't they be expecting Pro Bowl numbers when they're paying him Pro Bowl dollars?

NFL teams have contributed to making this system what it is by agreeing to pay these huge rookie deals. It's become a hot topic around the league lately as guys who haven't played a down in the NFL are now making more money than some of the top veterans. Who do you think deserves more money, Ronnie Brown or Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander? As it turns out, Brown has more guaranteed money than James and Alexander combined. If the league and Player's Association think the system needs a change, the simple solution would be to raise the salary cap and lower the rookie pool.

Brett Tessler said:
Only time will tell if Ronnie Brown is the real deal or not, but with the investment the Dolphins made in him (20 million guaranteed) they should be concerned. It's a HUGE gamble that could set the franchise back a long way if he doesn't pan out. Why shouldn't they be expecting Pro Bowl numbers when they're paying him Pro Bowl dollars?

NFL teams have contributed to making this system what it is by agreeing to pay these huge rookie deals. It's become a hot topic around the league as guys who haven't played a down in the NFL are now making more money than some of the top veterans. Who do you think deserves more money, Ronnie Brown or Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander? As it turns out, Brown has more guaranteed money than both James and Alexander combined. If the league and Player's Association think the system needs a change, the simple solution would be to raise the salary cap and lower the rookie pool.
thank you for your reply.

Brett Tessler said:

NFL teams have contributed to making this system what it is by agreeing to pay these huge rookie deals. It's become a hot topic around the league as guys who haven't played a down in the NFL are now making more money than some of the top veterans. Who do you think deserves more money, Ronnie Brown or Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander? As it turns out, Brown has more guaranteed money than both James and Alexander combined. If the league and Player's Association think the system needs a change, the simple solution would be to raise the salary cap and lower the rookie pool.
I agree with you 100%. Its really not fair that some rook's come in making more than proven vet's,that play every down. There are way too many that didn;t pan out for this not to be an issue.

KyPhinfan13 said:
Brett, I thought I read way back in an earlier post that you graduated from Purdue. Is that true? If so, do you know where I can get a copy of historical records for Purdue's football team, maybe even some pictures? My great, great uncle was a Purdue graduate (early 20's) and I believe was on the team.

I think Purdue's athletic website might have that information for you. If not, call their football office (765) 494-3220 and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Good luck, and GO BOILERS!

ckparrothead said:
Brett, question about this agreement between the team and Damion McIntosh during the offseason that they would not sign or draft another tackle to compete with him. Did it happen? Is it written? And, lastly, would moving Damion to right tackle where he would compete with the free agent acquisition Stockar McDougle constitute a violation of this agreement?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. There's never been any such "agreement" between Damion McIntosh and the Miami Dolphins. Where did you come up with this?

23Ronnie23 said:
Do you think we are going to be able to afford to re-sign Randy McMichael

I'm sure Randy McMichael will be back next year. Miami is in excellent salary cap shape, and re-signing him will be a top offseason priority.

Brett Tessler said:
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. There's never been any such "agreement" between Damion McIntosh and the Miami Dolphins. Where did you come up with this?

From the Miami Herald:

Posted on Sat, Mar. 05, 2005
DOLPHINS
Team clears another $3M
The Dolphins restructured left tackle Damion McIntosh's contract and signed safety Travares Tillman.
BY JASON COLE

SOME MORE SPACE
After signing Tillman, the Dolphins were still left with enough cap space to sign some of the other free agents they have had in for visits, such as defensive lineman Kevin Carter.
The Dolphins are expected to trim more cap money later, about $3.16 million if wide receiver David Boston is cut and $6 million if cornerback Patrick Surtain is traded.
One of the key parts of McIntosh's decision to restructure his deal was that the Dolphins promised him they would not pursue another left tackle in free agency or the draft. The team has told McIntosh he will compete with Vernon Carey, the team's first-round pick in 2004, for the starting job.

Merman said:
From the Miami Herald:

Thanks for the reference, but don't believe everything you read. I specifically asked Damion about this the other day and he said there was never any such agreement, promise, or understanding.

Brett Tessler said:
I think Purdue's athletic website might have that information for you. If not, call their football office (765) 494-3220 and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Good luck, and GO BOILERS!

Hey I graduated from Purdue also!!! What about that horrible loss to the Gophers..:shakeno: I really thought we had a chance for a great year.

Brett Tessler said:
Thanks for the reference, but don't believe everything you read. I specifically asked Damion about this and he said there was no such agreement, written or verbal.

Brett, curious about this.

As an Agent if you get wind of a "verbal agreement" do you leave it as such, or do you force the issue to get it turned into a "written agreement" on behalf of your client?

Wondering if in the NFL world....."verbal" is meaningless and only "written" carries weight??

thanks as always -

Back
Top Bottom