Ask Brett Tessler | Page 40 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

NLude33 said:
Brett,

Any rumblings on big name juniors going out after the season? Specifically V. Young, B. Quinn, M. Vick? Any others you can think of that you have heard about?

Also, when do you start having contact with college players to try to sign them to your representation? I know the rules on this, but can you talk to Juniors after the season to try to get them to come out? Or is it no contact at all until they declare?

Anyone lined up for you after the season?

Who are your current players your represent?

A lot of questions, so thanks in advance.

I don't recruit underclassmen, so I'm not really the best guy to ask. I do have my eyes on a few exciting seniors though so stay tuned.

hdjetta6316 said:
Hey Brett,
I have to say i'm a real big Wes Welker fan. I know that he's signed through 2006, but do you think the fins will work out a contract extension with him during the offseason? Do you think they would be worried about his durability due to his small stature? The guy does so much already, it would be a shame to not reward him for his level of play. Thanks!

Typically, the only time teams will extend or renegotiate an exclusive rights guy who's still under contract is if they're getting the better end of the deal. Teams don't like to pay guys until they have to. Welker will probably wait for restricted free agency after the 2006 season.

Brett Tessler said:
Typically, the only time teams will extend or renegotiate an exclusive rights guy who's still under contract is if they're getting the better end of the deal. Teams don't like to pay guys until they have to. Welker will probably wait for restricted free agency after the 2006 season.

Thanks Brett!

Brett Tessler said:
I don't recruit underclassmen, so I'm not really the best guy to ask. I do have my eyes on a few exciting seniors though so stay tuned.

OK.

Who are the players you currently represent? If that is public information. :D

Hey Brett,

I am an alumnus of Arlington Lamar high school over here in Texas, and have been following the career of former Viking alumnus Safety Scott McGarrahan, and I noticed you represent him and seen that you post on this forum so this looks like the appropriate place to ask this question.

I seen that the Titans didn't re-sign him and can't find him on a roster this year, do you know if he'll return to the NFL at all, or has he retired?

Thanks a bunch!

Brent

TXfootball said:
Hey Brett,

I am an alumnus of Arlington Lamar high school over here in Texas, and have been following the career of former Viking alumnus Safety Scott McGarrahan, and I noticed you represent him and seen that you post on this forum so this looks like the appropriate place to ask this question.

I seen that the Titans didn't re-sign him and can't find him on a roster this year, do you know if he'll return to the NFL at all, or has he retired?

Thanks a bunch!

Brent

Brent,
As of right now Scott is extremely busy with Resolution Ranch, a facility he opened in Texas for troubled youths. He's kept in shape just in case any teams call, but he's at peace with the fact that his playing career might be over. Scott is somebody who I'm very proud of because he's had a great career and has prepared himself for life after football.

NLude33 said:
OK.

Who are the players you currently represent? If that is public information. :D

I prefer not to share my entire client list, but if you search me on Google/Yahoo you might find some info there.

Brett Tessler said:
I prefer not to share my entire client list, but if you search me on Google/Yahoo you might find some info there.

Ok, thanks for all the info you provide on here. It is very much appreciated my all.

Brett Tessler said:

While you don't recruit underclassmen, you probably have some good knowledge. How does the process work for a guy that a team really wants?

For instance let's say the Phins are picking around #5 and they want Brady Quinn. I know they can't talk to him cause he loses his eligibility but a part of his decision making process is based on where he will get picked. Is there any way for them to get word to him (through his coach maybe?) that they are willing to guarantee him at that spot so he knows he won't drop lower and that way the team benefits because the guy they want comes out?

caneaddict said:
While you don't recruit underclassmen, you probably have some good knowledge. How does the process work for a guy that a team really wants?

For instance let's say the Phins are picking around #5 and they want Brady Quinn. I know they can't talk to him cause he loses his eligibility but a part of his decision making process is based on where he will get picked. Is there any way for them to get word to him (through his coach maybe?) that they are willing to guarantee him at that spot so he knows he won't drop lower and that way the team benefits because the guy they want comes out?

Every college player knows their draft stock. In the information/internet age we live in there's no more secrets. These players have several ways of finding out including National Scouting, credible agents passing along info they've gotten from NFL GM's, honest college coaches telling the player what's in his best interest, and I believe the NCAA even provides such a service.

What exactly would you have to go through to get a top notch rookie as a client, like Reggie Bush. Would you have to pay them to audition you? How hard would it be?

Also, you say that you dont care much for big name clients. But lets says one of your late rounders pulls a Tom Brady or Hines Ward. I know you would love that

My question

1- What do you look for in a client? It more guys with great skill? or Average skill and great personality and marketability or what?

2- Will you represent almost anyone or are you a guy that only takes in guys you see as having star potential even if they arnt big names?

tylerdolphin said:
What exactly would you have to go through to get a top notch rookie as a client, like Reggie Bush. Would you have to pay them to audition you? How hard would it be?

Also, you say that you dont care much for big name clients. But lets says one of your late rounders pulls a Tom Brady or Hines Ward. I know you would love that

I would never pay a fee to "audition" with ANY player. Let me make it clear that most players don't require this (only guys like Kellen Winslow do). I don't know exactly what the cost of recruiting Reggie Bush would be, but it probably won't be cheap. Not every top player is looking for additional perks or benefits, but many of them are.

By the way, I never said I didn't care for big name clients. I enjoy nothing more than seeing some of my lesser-known guys making names for themselves (like Scottie Vines who has been the Lions' leading receiver this season while starting over first-rounders Mike Williams and Charles Rogers).

I watched Vines last night!!! He has been the most productive guy over there!!!

-And for another poster underclassman can ask the NCAA to do a draft estimate for them. They will tell them what rounds they would most likely be drafted in if they declare. They can then make a decision based on that.

Alex22 said:
My question

1- What do you look for in a client? It more guys with great skill? or Average skill and great personality and marketability or what?

2- Will you represent almost anyone or are you a guy that only takes in guys you see as having star potential even if they aren't big names?

Neither character nor talent alone is enough for most players to survive in this league. Ideally I want to represent guys who have it all. I believe you can tell alot about an agent based on who their clients are. When a team calls to sign a Tessler Sports client, they know they're getting a quality player AND person. Other agents might represent more superstar players, but I'm proud to say that NOBODY represents better people.

Back
Top Bottom