Ask Brett Tessler | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

ether79 said:
Hey I graduated from Purdue also!!! What about that horrible loss to the Gophers..:shakeno: I really thought we had a chance for a great year.

No kidding...

Brett Tessler said:
No kidding...

Class of 2002. Bachelors Degree in political science of all things, I just couldn't stand the thought of going to IU for 4 years.:barf:

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Brett, curious about this.

As an Agent if you get wind of a "verbal agreement" do you leave it as such, or do you force the issue to get it turned into a "written agreement" on behalf of your client?

Wondering if in the NFL world....."verbal" is meaningless and only "written" carries weight??

thanks as always -

Great question. Not only are verbal agreements non-binding in the NFL, but they're strictly forbidden. Teams and agents have gotten into big trouble for agreeing to "handshake" or "under the table" deals which are often designed to circumvent the salary cap.

ether79 said:
Class of 2002. Bachelors Degree in political science of all things, I just couldn't stand the thought of going to IU for 4 years.:barf:
IU isnt THAT bad....... :rolleyes:

Brett Tessler said:
Great question. Not only are verbal agreements non-binding in the NFL, but they're strictly forbidden. Teams and agents have gotten into big trouble for agreeing to "handshake" or "under the table" deals which are often designed to circumvent the salary cap.

That makes sense.

So do you work with your guys to explain this to them and request that they check in with you regarding any private one-on-one conversations they may have with their coach, GM, especially during the season, etc?

Wondering as an Agent how do you stay on top of conversations between front office and your players during the season vs. just contract time?

I am sure you read alot to stay on top of the rumor mill especially regarding the press and the article mentioned above, but does stuff like that just come with the territory and you cant worry about every little thing mentioned to refute it or debunk it?

Dolphins_SR66 said:
That makes sense.

So do you work with your guys to explain this to them and in a sense make them check in with you regarding any private one-on-one conversations they may have with their coach, GM, especially during the season, etc?

Wondering as an Agent how do you stay on top of conversations between front office and player during the season vs. just contract time?

I am sure you read alot to stay on top of the rumor mill especially regarding the press and the article mentioned above, but does stuff like that just come with the territory and you cant worry about every little thing mentioned to refute it or debunk it?

My players always keep me posted on their discussions with coaches and front office people. During the season there's not as much interaction between agents and teams as there is during contract time unless something comes up that needs to be dealt with.

There's nothing wrong with having informal discussions with teams or having somebody give you their word about what they plan on doing with roster moves, etc. Those are issues of trust and can't be put into writing. What teams and agents are not allowed to do are "handshake deals" or "gentleman's agreements" that regard unwritten salary or other hidden contract stipulations.

Brett Tessler said:
My players always keep me posted on their discussions with coaches and front office people. During the season there's not as much interaction between agents and teams as there is during contract time unless something comes up that needs to be dealt with.

There's nothing wrong with having informal discussions with teams or having somebody give you their word about what they plan on doing with roster moves, etc. Those are issues of trust and can't be put into writing. What teams and agents are not allowed to do are "handshake deals" or "gentleman's agreements" that regard unwritten salary or other hidden contract stipulations.

Thanks for the insight!

ether79 said:
Hey I graduated from Purdue also!!! What about that horrible loss to the Gophers..:shakeno: I really thought we had a chance for a great year.
Don't you mean that awesome win by the Gophers :D :D

Ok move along folks, the hijacked thread has been returned to its rightful owner.

Brett, profootballtalk.com is running a story about agents being pissed off at the NFLPA because of certain restrictions. I was wonderings if this was true and how you feel about the situation. Thanks.

Hey Brett, do you think that we're really gonna be 25 million dollars under the cap like the Miami Herald reports?

Hi Brett, What do you think is gonna happen when Gus leaves us?

23Ronnie23 said:
Hey Brett, do you think that we're really gonna be 25 million dollars under the cap like the Miami Herald reports?

There's no doubt they're going to be in GREAT cap shape. Probably somewhere around the $25 million figure.

smope said:
Hi Brett, What do you think is gonna happen when Gus leaves us?

Before it's all said and done I'd like to see Sage get a shot. I think it would be a crime if this guy goes elsewhere and becomes a successful starter when the Dolphins had him sitting around for 5 years while they struggled at the position. Most realistically I'm sure they'll be signing and/or drafting one after this season.

Brett,

Any rumblings on big name juniors going out after the season? Specifically V. Young, B. Quinn, M. Vick? Any others you can think of that you have heard about?

Also, when do you start having contact with college players to try to sign them to your representation? I know the rules on this, but can you talk to Juniors after the season to try to get them to come out? Or is it no contact at all until they declare?

Anyone lined up for you after the season?

Who are your current players your represent?

A lot of questions, so thanks in advance.

Hey Brett,
I have to say i'm a real big Wes Welker fan. I know that he's signed through 2006, but do you think the fins will work out a contract extension with him during the offseason? Do you think they would be worried about his durability due to his small stature? The guy does so much already, it would be a shame to not reward him for his level of play. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom