Asomugha vs. Ginn The Showdown!!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asomugha vs. Ginn The Showdown!!!!

I agree about not picking on him, but if they are planning on leaving him 1-on-1 with Ginn, you absolutely HAVE to take a shot. Hell, if Asomugha gives Ginn the cushion that other corners have, then not even he will be able to defend any 5 yard curls or slants. If Asomugha plays him tight, then send Ginn deep and toss it up once or twice, force them to pull that safety back. You don't pick on a corner of Asomugha's calibur, but you certainly don't ignore that side of the field completely. Thats playing right into Oakland's hands......

Once again, Delhomme took a shot last week. Pick.

Trent Edwards took a shot in week three (Evans, :47 1Q). Fumble (caused by Asomugha, obviously). You'll notice he's credited with a tackle on a 17 yarder late in the game (early 4th): a dump pass to Lynch that he crossed the field to tackle.

Perhaps you'd like a week 4 special, where HE DOESN'T APPEAR ON THE PLAY-BY-PLAY. 180 gross passing yards for the Chargers (154 net). 5.3 average. Ouch.

Week 6, maybe? One tackle, on a dump pass to FB Mike Karney (-1 yard gained). No pass attempted to his man.

Or maybe you're just the kind of guy/gal that likes smarter stats. Sure, the PBP lies occasionally. But Football Outsiders ranks Oakland 4th against #1 receivers - and consider that Asomugha rarely, if ever, changes sides; he usually lines up in the defensive right (offensive left) side of the field, no matter who's lined up there. So, at the very least, *some* of that #1 yardage isn't against him - for proof, check the game against ATL, where he shut down Roddy White cold; the Falcons then moved him right, leaving Michael Jenkins on Asomugha (at which point both guys basically disappeared), and suddenly White was open again. Shocker.

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. You're willing to challenge who appears to be the most dominant, shut down corner in the league in ages (at least since Deion Sanders), on the premise that "you HAVE to take a shot"? I'm sorry, but it is just madness. Madness.

i dont care who catches the balls as long as we win.

id also LOVE to see the running game get going, but again, if we win, i wont *****

Trent Edwards took a shot in week three (Evans, :47 1Q). Fumble (caused by Asomugha, obviously). You'll notice he's credited with a tackle on a 17 yarder late in the game (early 4th): a dump pass to Lynch that he crossed the field to tackle.

Perhaps you'd like a week 4 special, where HE DOESN'T APPEAR ON THE PLAY-BY-PLAY. 180 gross passing yards for the Chargers (154 net). 5.3 average. Ouch.

Week 6, maybe? One tackle, on a dump pass to FB Mike Karney (-1 yard gained). No pass attempted to his man.

Or maybe you're just the kind of guy/gal that likes smarter stats. Sure, the PBP lies occasionally. But Football Outsiders ranks Oakland 4th against #1 receivers - and consider that Asomugha rarely, if ever, changes sides; he usually lines up in the defensive right (offensive left) side of the field, no matter who's lined up there. So, at the very least, *some* of that #1 yardage isn't against him - for proof, check the game against ATL, where he shut down Roddy White cold; the Falcons then moved him right, leaving Michael Jenkins on Asomugha (at which point both guys basically disappeared), and suddenly White was open again. Shocker.

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. You're willing to challenge who appears to be the most dominant, shut down corner in the league in ages (at least since Deion Sanders), on the premise that "you HAVE to take a shot"? I'm sorry, but it is just madness. Madness.
Ginn usually lines up to the offense's right, so sounds like Camarillo will have the pleasure of facing Asomugha

Great point I think your pretty right on Asomugha hes playing like the best since Deion or Champ. But you cant just think about not throwing to his side at all. I think were gonna get our running game back this game if not were in for a long one I think.

1 on 1 versus one of the fastest WRs in the NFL? Yes, you take that shot, regardless of who that CB is. You're right about the stats, no one is saying he isn't the best. You don't just give up on an aspect of the game because you're facing the best though. Thats like saying, "Well, we're facing Tom Brady today, may as well not even try to defend the pass." You still attack it, just differently. Theres no use trying to do any crossing routes, 10 yard outs, slants, etc. However, if he is one-on-one with Aso with no safety help, run that fly route and let Ginn run. If he is going to be beaten, its on that route by a fast WR. If you don't do that, you're pretty much inviting that 8th man in the box, and that horrible run defense just became respectable......

1 on 1 versus one of the fastest WRs in the NFL? Yes, you take that shot, regardless of who that CB is. You're right about the stats, no one is saying he isn't the best. You don't just give up on an aspect of the game because you're facing the best though. Thats like saying, "Well, we're facing Tom Brady today, may as well not even try to defend the pass." You still attack it, just differently. Theres no use trying to do any crossing routes, 10 yard outs, slants, etc. However, if he is one-on-one with Aso with no safety help, run that fly route and let Ginn run. If he is going to be beaten, its on that route by a fast WR. If you don't do that, you're pretty much inviting that 8th man in the box, and that horrible run defense just became respectable......

Well, that comparison really makes no sense because as a defense you usually can't just up and do what you want, since the offense is controlling the ball. If you don't defend the pass, of course they will kill you there. Now, as an offense, surely you can avoid running into the teeth of a dominant run defense (see: Ravens), or simply not throw against the single most elite corner in the league.

However I don't see the positive in "testing" Asomugha. He's already proven to be the very best at his position. Opposing offenses don't test him at all; those that do, pay dearly for it. Sure, you can try to kill him on a fly route. *Could* work. But let me ask you: why didn't the Bills try that with Evans? Or the Chargers with Jackson/Chambers? Surely you don't mean to tell me that Evans is slow. Or that Chad is known for his long ball.

No, I still can't see why you would try to "taunt the bear", so to speak.

ETA: Oh, and that "8th man in the box" thing? I'm not saying to just avoid passing altogether. Just not to the right side. It's not like Camarillo (or Ginn, if they roll him away from Asomugha) is useless, or their second corner an all-Pro. Hell, the TEs will probably end up with more yards than whoever Asomugha is covering for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that comparison really makes no sense because as a defense you usually can't just up and do what you want, since the offense is controlling the ball. If you don't defend the pass, of course they will kill you there. Now, as an offense, surely you can avoid running into the teeth of a dominant run defense (see: Ravens), or simply not throw against the single most elite corner in the league.

However I don't see the positive in "testing" Asomugha. He's already proven to be the very best at his position. Opposing offenses don't test him at all; those that do, pay dearly for it. Sure, you can try to kill him on a fly route. *Could* work. But let me ask you: why didn't the Bills try that with Evans? Or the Chargers with Jackson/Chambers? Surely you don't mean to tell me that Evans is slow. Or that Chad is known for his long ball.

No, I still can't see why you would try to "taunt the bear", so to speak.

ETA: Oh, and that "8th man in the box" thing? I'm not saying to just avoid passing altogether. Just not to the right side. It's not like Camarillo (or Ginn, if they roll him away from Asomugha) is useless, or their second corner an all-Pro. Hell, the TEs will probably end up with more yards than whoever Asomugha is covering for the day.

I couldn't tell you why they didn't obviously, I don't know what their gameplan was. That throw that Ginn caught on his fingertips last week would have beaten any CB, Aso included. I think you're assuming that I think we should throw at him all day, I'm not saying that. I'm saying we need to make them back that safety up over Ginn, and the only way to do that is to make them think that Aso needs that help over the top. To do that, you have to throw that fly route. Whether it connects or not is irrelevent, what matters is that they know the risk is there....

They had better move Ginn to the slot on 3rd downs. Otherwise he will have a hard time finding daylight past 5 yards. This is not a knock on Ginn, I am a HUGE GINN FAN!!!

I just think that he is going to have a hard time making plays past 5 yards vs. the #1 CB in the NFL! I think the only CB that could challenge him for the #1 spot would be Champ Baily...that is Champ about 3 years ago.

The Raiders might struggle on offense but their defense played very well last week. This might be a good game for BESS...50+ yards and a TD. If not, Bess...RONNIE!!!

excellent points. i'm right there with you buddy. this reminds me of the beef jerky commercial where the guys taunt the sasquatch. i think they call it messin with sasquatch and in the end the sasquatch gets the last laugh.

just not a good idea at all. not to mention pennys arm strength doesn't make anyone feel like he can fire it in a small window on a rope.

So this is basically a WIN game for Ginn if I am understanding the posts in this thread. This is his chance to be elite. If he gets shut down (STeve Smith 1 catch, for 9 yards, and I think many would agree that he is a top 10 . . . IMO top 5 WR in this league) it was to be expected . . . but if he torches Asomugha . . . then Ginn would make that next step to being a top WR in this league (but knowing the Ginn haters . . . too harsh? non believers then . . . on this site, Asomugha would have his first bad game in 2 years against Ginn . . . so maybe there is a way he can't win.)

Like I said earlier, we should be able to run on Oakland most of the game . . . that will be our bread and butter on Sunday . . . get that running game in gear before the New England game.

So this is basically a WIN game for Ginn if I am understanding the posts in this thread. This is his chance to be elite. If he gets shut down (STeve Smith 1 catch, for 9 yards, and I think many would agree that he is a top 10 . . . IMO top 5 WR in this league) it was to be expected . . . but if he torches Asomugha . . . then Ginn would make that next step to being a top WR in this league (but knowing the Ginn haters . . . too harsh? non believers then . . . on this site, Asomugha would have his first bad game in 2 years against Ginn . . . so maybe there is a way he can't win.)

Like I said earlier, we should be able to run on Oakland most of the game . . . that will be our bread and butter on Sunday . . . get that running game in gear before the New England game.
Before this year I had zero confidence that Ginn would become anything. Now I can see the improvement and Im excited to see his development. I think a lot of people are the same way. There are a lot less Ginn "non believers" now than you think. At least thats how it seems. I don't think he will do anything this week, but if he does it really does show how far he has come as a reciever.

No QB in the league throws the ball near Aso. He is one of the only real "Shutdown Corners" in the league. Throw in his direction at your peril.

Oh, believe me, if Ginn (or anyone, really) has any number of completions for positive yardage (say, over 5 YPC) *when covered by Asomugha*, I'll be here and own up to my comments. Seriously. And glad to do it, obviously.

I chart the games anyway; I'll get it done extra early (Tuesday, maybe Wednesday) and let you know. But the probability of Asomugha screwing up? Well, let's say I'm willing to bet on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not even glance at namdi!! The guy is good enough I'd give a first for him! Not kidding, not only will he crush ginn at the line, he is 6'3 ! And I love ginn! Only chance for ginn is kick return! And I like those chances

Back
Top Bottom