Atogwe starting to gain interest | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Atogwe starting to gain interest

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Rams free agent O.J. Atogwe is getting some interest. But because he's a restricted free agent, other teams are leery of signing Atogwe to an offer sheet and then having the Rams match that offer. The real Atogwe action could come after June 1. The Rams would have to sign him to a new contract - something they have been reluctant to do to this point - by June 1` or Atogwe becomes an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/cody-drops-weig.html

At this point all we can wish is Miami is one of the teams interested.

Why would he become a UFA? Would he refuse to sign the tender or what?

He did got tendered. No compensation tender though so if no one offers anything he has to playout the minimum salary tender wouldn't he?

No, the lowest tender has a time limit. If a contract isn't offered by another team before June 1st, the Rams have to give Rams a contract that Atogwe will sign or he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I don't see why people are reluctant to offer him a contract. The rams may not match it, nothing is a gaurantee anymore. Someone(preferably) us has got to take that chance. I don't think its smart to wait until June to see if he becomes a UFA.

This website would EXPLODE if we didn't sign a Safety till after June...

HA HA

Lets get this guy. He is the exact type of safety we need. A guy who can cover the better TE's and WR's and be a ballhawk for us.

Give him the contract you were going to offer Rolle, he would be more worth it.

Interesting if Sharper isnt in the plans after New orleans low balled him.

Has anyone checked his numbers on profootballfocus.com. Some would be surprise.

Rolle was meh in coverage last year... he did nothing to deserve almost 8m/yr.... By saying that, with 1 yr @ FS, his contract says he's better than Ed Reed, Troy P, Kerry Rhodes, Nick Collins, Sharper, the list goes on....

OJ is 2x the player Rolle will ever be. Rolle busted @ CB and switched to FS to save his career IMHO.... He only got paid b/c of his "popularity bowl"...... Don't get me wrong I like Rolle, but he's def not worth more than 25m over 5 yrs to me.

As for Atogwe, he is a purebread playmaker.... Forces fumbles, generates picks.... ballhawk..... can actually cover AND tackle... He just doesn't get the recognition b/c he's on the Rams.... AND He is THE leader of that defense..... Great character and leadership.... A type of player that everyone wants on their team and would hate to ploay against him..... They would cringe if they throw it Atogwe's direction.

If I were to give 5 yrs and 37M out of Rolle and Atogwe, it would be Atogwe. Easily... 100 times out of 100...

Are the Rams allowed to re-tender him before that? Not sure what the rules are on that.

There is no way this FO is waiting for any player to not get a contract from their team so they can jump in and get him under contract.

If they want him they'll offer him a deal now because if St.Lou is actually reluctant to sign him then that won't change if we do. I actually think no one is approaching OJ because they all know they will match so nobody wants to do their dirty work for them. A team as bad as St.louis will not let young talented players go for nothing! How on earth does that get them any better by creating a huge hole.

I'd be surprised if we don't do anything before the draft that we would then wait untill after the draft to solve our FS needs. This could paint us in a corner of desperation and makes zero sense. The draft is full of potentially good FS's and a couple of excellent ones where we pick in the 1st.... E.Thomas will be a Dolphin then.

Back
Top Bottom