Average Yards Per Carry | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Average Yards Per Carry

BassFin said:
Dayne was another workhorse back who put up gaudy numbers and was overrated. Everyone looks at Benson's career numbers and numbers from this past season (1,834 & 19 TDs) and just assumes that he's the best. Those numbers make him stand out. But when you break it down and look at the competition, he got those numbers against average teams at best. And I don't care how many people stack the line, good players score in their Bowl Games. If he can march up and down the field during games against weak opponents but he can't against "good" teams who game plan for him, then he's not worth his hype.
WOW... This unbelievable.

OK, lets pick Williams or Brown because they put up LESS numbers. Great idea, ignore the fact that Benson CARRIED the team on his back for his entire career, was a workhorse that never quit, and was a star his entire career.

Ron Dayne and Benson ran as different as you can get. Benson has power, he's a shifty and an elusive back who can run over people for that first down and take it the distance.

Anyone who doesn't know anything about college football should stop embarassing yourselves with things you clearly don't understand.

And by your logic, Ricky was average because he couldn't get by 9 men frtons. Clueless? Indeed you're.

LIQUID24 said:
That's because the defenses keyed on Benson and stacked the box.

Oklahoma dared Vince Young to beat them.....he couldn't.

Michigan took Benson out of the game and dared Vince Young to beat them.....he did.

If anything, it's a sign of respect when a team's entire gameplan is take ONE player out of the game.
Thats funny, the 8 in the box stopped Benson from running but it didn't stop Young from running all over them?

Young was more impressive running the ball than Benson.

BlueFin said:
Thats funny, the 8 in the box stopped Benson from running but it didn't stop Young from running all over them?

So Young runs up the middle now? Cool.

BlueFin said:

Are you serious with that comparison?

LIQUID24 said:
So Young runs up the middle now? Cool.
Good to know there's someone who understands football and doesn't make any ridiculous comments without supporting them with no such facts except what they read on ESPN.

finswin56 said:
Are you serious with that comparison?
Doesn't know what he's talking about, thats why.

Hostile7 said:
Good to know there's someone who understands football and doesn't make any ridiculous comments without supporting them with no such facts except what they read on ESPN.

Doesn't know what he's talking about, thats why.
Oh really? Rickys final year at Texas, he ripped off 139 yards against Oklahoma and in the Cotton Bowl game he ripped off 203 yards.

I wonder Ricky doesn't need the same excuses for not showing up in big games that Benson does?

BlueFin said:
Oh really? Rickys final year at Texas, he ripped off 139 yards against Oklahoma and in the Cotton Bowl game he ripped off 203 yards.

I wonder Ricky doesn't need the same excuses for not showing up in big games that Benson does?
So where were those Oklahoma teams ranked? Before Stoops, Ok. wasn't a contender since Switzer.

jnewmant said:
well you can't really base questioning Benson as the number two pick solely on the fact that he didn't lead the NCAA in yards per carry. he did carry the ball more than any back this season so that lead to a little wear and tear, but besides all of this i say take Ronnie Brown he's my ture #2

sammy morris averaged 4.0 in the nfl

BlueFin said:

I didn't see Ricky show up (according to your logic) during the Dolphins 2003 season. He didn't break 9 man fronts and had 3.4 ypc... Great arguement! You're killing your own arguement! EVERYONE gave Ricky a mulligan because we had no talent BUT him. Benson can't get passed one team (by himself, because he has no offensive talent) that happened to go to the championship the last two years.

Also, you're talking 5 years ago:roflmao:I doubt Oklahoma has changed since then (Benson didn't play them until 2002) and they also had a QB who could throw, unlike Young. Benson as a sophmore isn't the Benson as a senior who simply did what everyone thought he would (go to the next level and become great). Oklahoma's defense has become one of the best in college, and they stick 9 men in the box because Young can't throw, yet you still don't get it.

Hostile7 said:
WOW... This unbelievable.

OK, lets pick Williams or Brown because they put up LESS numbers. Great idea, ignore the fact that Benson CARRIED the team on his back for his entire career, was a workhorse that never quit, and was a star his entire career.

Ron Dayne and Benson ran as different as you can get. Benson has power, he's a shifty and an elusive back who can run over people for that first down and take it the distance.

Anyone who doesn't know anything about college football should stop embarassing yourselves with things you clearly don't understand.

And by your logic, Ricky was average because he couldn't get by 9 men frtons. Clueless? Indeed you're.

Ok Hostile, take it easy. You don't have to get all high & mighty. I'm not saying that Benson isn't a good back. I'm just saying he's not worth the hype. Benson & Dayne had different running styles but they were both workhorses who were the focal points of thier offense. And they put up big numbers because of that. Was he a great college back? Yes. Will that transfer into the NFL. I believe it will. But I don't think he's worth the #2.

I'm not sure where the Ricky thing comes in. I'm not going to compare a pro running back going against 9 man fronts to a college back going against 9 man fronts. It's totally different.

Just curious, are you a Longhorn fan?

BassFin said:
Ok Hostile, take it easy. You don't have to get all high & mighty. I'm not saying that Benson isn't a good back. I'm just saying he's not worth the hype. Benson & Dayne had different running styles but they were both workhorses who were the focal points of thier offense. And they put up big numbers because of that. Was he a great college back? Yes. Will that transfer into the NFL. I believe it will. But I don't think he's worth the #2.

I'm not sure where the Ricky thing comes in. I'm not going to compare a pro running back going against 9 man fronts to a college back going against 9 man fronts. It's totally different.

Just curious, are you a Longhorn fan?
No, I don't have a college team. I like to watch college football to watch the best prospects. I've seen texas play a lot (as well as other teams).

Then what's worth the hype? I don't understand it. The guy plays offense pretty much by himself. Without him, the longhorns would be no where. They depend on him. When you depend on one player, and face the second best team in the nation, with one of the best defenses in the nation and let them stick 9 men in the box, you can't be expected to beat them. Benson has played bad against one team, with one hell of a defense.

The Ricky comparison is easy. Would you say Ricky struggled when teams put 9 men fronts on him? 3.4 ypc, I would. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Let's do the opposite... Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma. The guy has talent, no question. If you stuck Cedric Benson in Oklahoma's offense with a great line, great COLLEGE QB, greta WR, and a great defense to keep giving him the ball, do you think he would have crossed the 2000 mark (benson)? I think he has 2300-2500 hundread yards in OU.

You can't penalize Benson for being the only one with talent on his team, and you can't say AP (not that you're) is overrated because his team is loaded at every position. He has expirence and knows the what true pressure is.

There's no doubt in my mind Benson will be rookie of the year with 1300 hundread yards and 10-13 TD. He's going to be more ready then any other player in this draft.

Hostile7 said:
No, I don't have a college team. I like to watch college football to watch the best prospects. I've seen texas play a lot (as well as other teams).

Then what's worth the hype? I don't understand it. The guy plays offense pretty much by himself. Without him, the longhorns would be no where. They depend on him. When you depend on one player, and face the second best team in the nation, with one of the best defenses in the nation and let them stick 9 men in the box, you can't be expected to beat them. Benson has played bad against one team, with one hell of a defense.

The Ricky comparison is easy. Would you say Ricky struggled when teams put 9 men fronts on him? 3.4 ypc, I would. That's the point I'm trying to make.
And the point I was making was that while Benson is a good back, he's not a great back.

He doesn't stand out as so much better than the other backs in this draft that he's a value at #2, rarely should a back be drafted number #2.

BlueFin said:
And the point I was making was that while Benson is a good back, he's not a great back.

He doesn't stand out as so much better than the other backs in this draft that he's a value at #2, rarely should a back be drafted number #2.
OK, what is a GREAT back then? I don't know what one is if he isn't.

Also, when people say a certain position shouldn't be drafted that high, a few positions behind you a team is luaghing at you. The best players should go where they are needed. If Benson is ranked #1 in this draft (on my board he is) and he's there at #2, you take him.

What positions go that high? Look at Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith. Most boards do not have them top 4 (AR is usually 5th) but one of the them is going to be #1. Why? Because a QB is OK to take that high.

Draft the BPA, and Benson should be.

Back
Top Bottom