Average Yards Per Carry | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Average Yards Per Carry

BlueFin said:
No, but really I tire of people making excuses for this guy.

He's a good back, but not worth the #2.
I understand. I'm not sold on him either. I just want to make sure apples are being compared to apples.

IMO...what you're saying about him being the focal point on his team is what reinforces my argument. The fact that he could carry the ball 35 times a game allowed him to put up big numbers. They were hard fought yards no doubt. But if R. Brown or C. Williams had been able to carry the ball 35 times a game each who knows what kind of numbers they would have put up? But that's also what scares me about Benson. That's a lot of running. And RBs already have the shortest NFL shelf life.

And Benson had a great season but in the 2 most important games (OK & MI) he wasn't as dominant. He averaged 3.5 YPC and 0 TDs against those teams. Yes, those teams stacked the line against him but he didn't even score once. If you can't score in the big games, are you worth the hype? IMO, no. But that's just my opinion.

As for the Ricky comparison. Ricky consistantly had yards and TDs in college against 9 man fronts. It's a lot tougher to do that in the NFL. Better athletes.

Bassfin has nailed it right on the head of the issue. Look at the production Brown and Williams put up with half the carries. That is much more intriguing to me because it means that they will have fresher bodies when they get into the league. How many more years do you think Ricky would have made it, especially running behind our swiss cheese line? Running back shelf life is at the heart of this issue, IMHO.

I have yet to see an expert mock draft with a RB going higher than Benson. Allthough someone might have made one, most experts agree that he is the best pick for a franchise QB.

touborg said:
I have yet to see an expert mock draft with a RB going higher than Benson. Allthough someone might have made one, most experts agree that he is the best pick for a franchise QB.

C'mon Touborg....you've been around these boards for a while. You know that'll all change after the combines. Check back a week before the draft and see how many still have Benson as the best RB.

All the mocks I've seen say that Benson is another Ricky so it's a no brainer that he'd end up in Miami. But this isn't Dave Wannstedt's team anymore and it's not the same offense. A RB like Ricky doesn't fit the new system.

Marino Forever said:
Bassfin has nailed it right on the head of the issue. Look at the production Brown and Williams put up with half the carries. That is much more intriguing to me because it means that they will have fresher bodies when they get into the league. How many more years do you think Ricky would have made it, especially running behind our swiss cheese line? Running back shelf life is at the heart of this issue, IMHO.
They also had talent to allow them to become better... If you can put 7 men in the box, I would hope you could have better stats then someone who has 9 men in their face.

I am not doubting Benson's ability, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that he is the best fit for what we are needing. Wanny's three yards and a cloud of dust days are over. Not to say that Benson is only a good short yardage runner, but I think our next running back should be more athletic so he can be used out of the backfield more. The most telling statistic that I noticed about Benson (and I am not a stat guy) is the fact that he scored only 3 TDs out of 40 in his JR. and SR. years RECEIVING the ball. That does not bode well for the style of offense that Linehan will be implementing. That being said, I did not watch enough of his games the past few years to know if that receiving stat is bogus or not.

BassFin said:
C'mon Touborg....you've been around these boards for a while. You know that'll all change after the combines. Check back a week before the draft and see how many still have Benson as the best RB.

All the mocks I've seen say that Benson is another Ricky so it's a no brainer that he'd end up in Miami. But this isn't Dave Wannstedt's team anymore and it's not the same offense. A RB like Ricky doesn't fit the new system.
What? Saban has said long ago before he became HC that you can't make players fit a system. You create a system for your players. If Cedric is the guy taken, then Linehan will use a system to fit him. it's like Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe. when Bledsoe went down, they created an offense that fits Brady better.

But don't you think it would be easier to take a Williams or Brown who seem to be more in the Linehan mold than to make Linehan change what he is comfortable with?

Hostile7 said:
What? Saban has said long ago before he became HC that you can't make players fit a system. You create a system for your players. If Cedric is the guy taken, then Linehan will use a system to fit him. it's like Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe. when Bledsoe went down, they created an offense that fits Brady better.

I think he was refering to a 4-3 defense as opposed to a 3-4. We have the players for a 4-3 and even though he would like to run a 3-4, he's not going to try and fit a square peg into a round hole by forcing the players he has to play into a scheme that they weren't drafted for or brought in by FA to play in.

Drafting is a different story. You bring in the players to fit the system you will run. That's Saban's plan. To build a new team through the draft. Lineham was brought in to run his style of offense and those players will be brought in that best fit it.

Bledsoe was brought in when Parcells was the Head Coach. When he went down and Brady came in, they were forced to adjust the system to better suit Brady's abilities. He was drafted with the future in mind. And it ended up paying off, even though they had to start him sooner than they had hoped. But the fact is, he was brought in to run the system Belichek wanted on offense. They would've gradually switched to the new system by drafting players that fit it while running the old system until those players were ready to contribute.

BassFin said:
I think he was refering to a 4-3 defense as opposed to a 3-4. We have the players for a 4-3 and even though he would like to run a 3-4, he's not going to try and fit a square peg into a round hole by forcing the players he has to play into a scheme that they weren't drafted for or brought in by FA to play in.

Drafting is a different story. You bring in the players to fit the system you will run. That's Saban's plan. To build a new team through the draft. Lineham was brought in to run his style of offense and those players will be brought in that best fit it.

Bledsoe was brought in when Parcells was the Head Coach. When he went down and Brady came in, they were forced to adjust the system to better suit Brady's abilities. He was drafted with the future in mind. And it ended up paying off, even though they had to start him sooner than they had hoped. But the fact is, he was brought in to run the system Belichek wanted on offense. They would've gradually switched to the new system by drafting players that fit it while running the old system until those players were ready to contribute.
You can't make players fit into a system they don't work in... When you have Vick you run, when you have Marino you throw.

Don Shula talked about his offenses. When he had Marinoi, he threw. When he had his backs of the 70's he ran. If Leinhan is bringing the same offense he had with the Vikings it will fail in Miami because we don't have Randy Moss and his offense was "Go deep randy, heres another 16 TD season" I give him more credit then that... That's just me though. You take the players you have an build a system for them to max ability.

I think we have the receivers and tight end to stretch the field like Linehan did in Minnesota. Chambers is no Moss, I admit, but what good did throwing our receiverst the ball within 10 yards do for our offense last year? When Moss was hurt he didn't stop attacking the defense down the field, did he? The reason a system like that works is because you have an extra threat in the passing game with an athletic running back. I just am not sold that Benson will be that type of back.

Hostile7 said:
OK, what is a GREAT back then? I don't know what one is if he isn't.

Also, when people say a certain position shouldn't be drafted that high, a few positions behind you a team is luaghing at you. The best players should go where they are needed. If Benson is ranked #1 in this draft (on my board he is) and he's there at #2, you take him.

What positions go that high? Look at Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith. Most boards do not have them top 4 (AR is usually 5th) but one of the them is going to be #1. Why? Because a QB is OK to take that high.

Draft the BPA, and Benson should be.
Runningbacks that have been taken with the top two picks in the last 30 years that have been worth it have names like:

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
Marshall Faulk
Bo Jackson
Tony Dorsett
Billy Sims

When I watch Cedric Benson play football, I don't see a guy with the talent of those 6 runners, all of whom I saw play a lot.

Back
Top Bottom