"Az" to the dolphins?

jmorgan6977 said:
To go one further

Kelly Campball las three.....57........1062.........18.6........8....2

Welker single season.........29.........434..........15..........0....0

Avg single season

Hakim............................39.8.......542.4........13.8.......3.8..1.3

Campbell........................19..........354..........18.6.......2.6... .7

Welker...........................29...........434.........15..........0........0

:eek: This stat sheet really shows the difference in these players. I mean i really like Wes and also the Campbell is a nice signing. But Az's career production speaks for itself.

As a Lions fan who watched Hakim for those years, I have mixed reviews on this guy. When he catches the ball, he *is* a playmaker. He had some phenominal YAC plays for TDs, with some awesome laterals and blocks. But he's got two problems. First, he's a small slot receiver who is afraid to take a hit over the middle. That's a bad trait for a possession receiver to have. Second, he drops the ball. A LOT. I don't know how many times I've screamed at the TV after watching this guy drop yet another 3rd and 5 pass that would have got us the first down or a touchdown. He cost us a few games with this. Still, he is a good playmaker when he catches the ball, so as long as you don't throw to him on 3rd down, he should be fine.

I wish they had a stat for drops I will look.... But some of the more important stats do not exist like MTC Moving the Chains BOQ bailing out quarterback, especially WOD wide open drops. Stats can be decieving they can make a guy look terrible or better than they truly are.

LionsAllTheWay said:
As a Lions fan who watched Hakim for those years, I have mixed reviews on this guy. When he catches the ball, he *is* a playmaker. He had some phenominal YAC plays for TDs, with some awesome laterals and blocks. But he's got two problems. First, he's a small slot receiver who is afraid to take a hit over the middle. That's a bad trait for a possession receiver to have. Second, he drops the ball. A LOT. I don't know how many times I've screamed at the TV after watching this guy drop yet another 3rd and 5 pass that would have got us the first down or a touchdown. He cost us a few games with this. Still, he is a good playmaker when he catches the ball, so as long as you don't throw to him on 3rd down, he should be fine.

Well i wasnt able to keep up with him that much since he left the Rams. So i will have to take your word on the amount of drops he had there at Detroit. But as for your quote about a "small slot receiver", IMO most of the better slot receivers throughout the NFL history have been smaller receivers. They seem to have a better ability to get open and manoover around the middle of the field and loose defenders as opposed to the bigger and taller receivers. Maybe its because they are quicker in and out of their cuts/breaks. Thats just been my observation.

From what I read Miami did talked to him. They said that they would get back to him after the draft. Basically we draft one, then thanks, but no thanks. If we don't, then welcome aboard!

Dave007 said:
From what I read Miami did talked to him. They said that they would get back to him after the draft. Basically we draft one, then thanks, but no thanks. If we don't, then welcome aboard!

I'm not sure that follows. I read that more to mean that they're busy with the draft now and don't anticipate signing anybody until after it is over. I think if Az is willing to compete with some 3rd or 4th round rookie, Nick could definitely still sign him.

I would rather have a bigger slot receiver but he is not a bad Plan B alternative if we go defense with our first pick which I think we will.

YAC is something our receivers are not very good at and CC drops a lot of balls too.

They both make up for it with spectacular catches.

Finsfan1984 said:
Well i wasnt able to keep up with him that much since he left the Rams. So i will have to take your word on the amount of drops he had there at Detroit. But as for your quote about a "small slot receiver", IMO most of the better slot receivers throughout the NFL history have been smaller receivers. They seem to have a better ability to get open and manoover around the middle of the field and loose defenders as opposed to the bigger and taller receivers. Maybe its because they are quicker in and out of their cuts/breaks. Thats just been my observation.

It's a good observation. Smaller is quicker, generally. Most of the DBs in the league are under 6', are fast and can turn on a dime (they just can't catch, that's why they're DBs). So you make sense there. But on the other hand, a big target over the middle that can jump and take a hit can help, too. We call most of those guys tight ends, though. Remember, the slot doesn't have to run the post, he's looking for the sticks or near them on most 3rd down routes. It's really going to depend on the talent of the WR, too, size or no size.

The main point is Az is afraid to take the hit, or at least he was in Detroit. That, and the drops. Those are both bad qualities in a slot. But like I said, when he catches it, he's gonna make a play. Good luck with your draft. I'll take anything BUT a wide receiver.

If we don't take Holmes or Jackson in the first round then I would certainly consider for the right deam Hakim, he has the speed to burn DB'S and with Culpepper throwing we could see many huge plays, could end up looking like the old Rams offense Hakim was part of.

Jimmy James said:
The Rams definitely struggled to replace him for at least that first year. It wasn't the whole reason that their offense struggled, but it does definitely show that there can be value brought to a team by a third WR in some situations.

That first yr they ahd alot of injuries, faulk didn't even gain 1,000 yds b/c he was banged up and it was Bulger's first year as he was forced to play for an injured Warner.

You guys talk how SL didn't do well after he left(though they were #3 in points scored in 2003) but he did nothing after he left SL.

LionsAllTheWay said:
It's a good observation. Smaller is quicker, generally. Most of the DBs in the league are under 6', are fast and can turn on a dime (they just can't catch, that's why they're DBs). So you make sense there. But on the other hand, a big target over the middle that can jump and take a hit can help, too. We call most of those guys tight ends, though. Remember, the slot doesn't have to run the post, he's looking for the sticks or near them on most 3rd down routes. It's really going to depend on the talent of the WR, too, size or no size.

The main point is Az is afraid to take the hit, or at least he was in Detroit. That, and the drops. Those are both bad qualities in a slot. But like I said, when he catches it, he's gonna make a play. Good luck with your draft. I'll take anything BUT a wide receiver.

Well if he is dropping that many balls and is afraid to go over the middle, that is not good.:shakeno: I hope that if we do wind up getting him, that this will be aberation and not the norm. But we will just have to wait and see on both of these issues i guess.:(

nyjunc said:
That first yr they ahd alot of injuries, faulk didn't even gain 1,000 yds b/c he was banged up and it was Bulger's first year as he was forced to play for an injured Warner.

You guys talk how SL didn't do well after he left(though they were #3 in points scored in 2003) but he did nothing after he left SL.

:confused:

They did have problems replacing him that first year. They tried several different people, and they failed.

Meanwhile, he has pretty much continued to be Az no matter where he has gone. It's true that he failed to become a good #2 WR in Detroit, but that just goes to show that he is made to be the third guy.

Back
Top Bottom