Baldinger: Tannehill as a franchise QB is a pipe dream | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baldinger: Tannehill as a franchise QB is a pipe dream

how can I comment if I cant read the article? any speculation of how good a player will be is just that.. Speculation!

how so? I don't think he even starts a game, if he does that means we're on our third string QB and our Offense has been decimated.

You have your elite team of coaches watch the guy practice and evaluate him. If you watch him for a year and don't think he has what it takes, move on. If he is not learning fast enough, that would be an indicator. Of course game time would be wonderful.

But then you alienate your previous 1st round pick at the position without ever giving him time to develop.
And what if Barkley ends up being a bust. Seems like that would mean we chased our tail again.
Getting the QB situation right?. Seriously. What about development.
The 2012 season hasn't been played yet. Maybe we should wait and see how that plays out.

The guy will have competition every year, deal with it. If he is not learning fast enough and projected to be ready in 13 after 2012, ya get some competition. Of course and agreed you let the year play out.

If we are in a position to take Barkley, that means we were among the very worst in the league, if not the worst. As long as tannehill doesn't completely bomb this year John beck style, we could pull a Stl and turn the number 1 into 3 yrs of having 2 1st round draft picks.

I don't think we'll be that bad though.

If we are in a position to take Barkley, that means we were among the very worst in the league, if not the worst. As long as tannehill doesn't completely bomb this year John beck style, we could pull a Stl and turn the number 1 into 3 yrs of having 2 1st round draft picks.

I don't think we'll be that bad though.

That would certainly fill a few more holes with skill players and it would be a huge windfall coming off a hypothetical bad season.
As I stated earlier in the thread, I think the fins will surprise the skeptics this year and do well enough to have us drafting in the late teens.
Drafting there, we will have no shot at Barkley.
If the pundits are right, we will have a shot at Barkley and we should give him consideration. By then, the staff will know if RT is the guy...or not.

Who is Brian Baldinger? A former O-lineman who never coached or scouted or served in any capacity of management in this league.

Dan Sileo? Is anybody really listening to him?

Opinions are like............................(fill in the blank)

If there are any doubts about Tannehill you go after Barkley? What's your justification for that statement? There are still doubts surrounding Sam Bradford yet look what the Rams did. They decided to stick with their franchise QB and shove all in on him, getting a major payday as a result.

At this point in the NFL, even if you have a young guy who has a fairly positive and productive season (say... 2010 Josh Freeman, perhaps?) you STILL have doubts simply because this is a league where it's tough as hell to put together ONE great season, let alone MULTIPLE great seasons.

Playing with words. They obviously don't have significant doubts about Sam Bradford.

The Fins almost didn't get Tannehill (the 3rd QB taken) at #8 this year. But somehow being in the "TOP 5" next year means Barkley will be theirs? lol

Unless Miami is picking #1, there is no lock they would get Barkley.

Not to mention I have seen Matt Barkley struggle vs teams like Utah and Arizona St in college, when did he become a "can't miss"? Seriously

By taking Tannehill NOW and letting him learn in the league for a year it allows Miami IF they are picking Top 5 next year to go get a Robert Woods type or an elite #1 WR type to pair with him. There was NO elite WR for Miami to take last year at #8. Nor was there any player on offense other than Tannehill that would have made an impact on this offense long-term.

What, draft ANOTHER d-linemen and keep adding to a group that was a strength? These people are clueless on TV.

I agree, because their not going to let Tannehill start right off the bat, that's if they believe Barkley is better

I think the main point is, if Tannehill is not coming along as fast as we would like, a lot of people don't want to wait too long to look for competition. We want to keep looking, and, if someome is available (in that case), take him!

I think the main point is, if Tannehill is not coming along as fast as we would like, a lot of people don't want to wait too long to look for competition. We want to keep looking, and, if someome is available (in that case), take him!

Not coming along fast? Training camp hasn't even started yet. Tannehill hasn't signed a contract yet.

Jesus christ guys running around in shorts and mesh jerseys in non-contact drills in May and June now have become enough to determine everything. It's a joke!

Not coming along fast? Training camp hasn't even started yet. Tannehill hasn't signed a contract yet.

Jesus christ guys running around in shorts and mesh jerseys in non-contact drills in May and June now have become enough to determine everything. It's a joke!
Mike it's a strange world when you become a voice of reason around here.

(yes, I realize you've been more of a realist with an abrasive approach. you're still one of my boys.)

The conversation was talking about AFTER the season, not right now. If they feel he is not coming along after watching him for a year (practicing or playing), do you select a QB. That kind of answer is why people don't most more often.

And anyway, since that is what you want to talk about, he has indeed struggled somewhat with the NFL game pace, even with his playbook understanding. All he is right now is a "could be". And if he is still a "could be" at draft time next year, it is certainly worth thinking about getting another guy. Further, yes you can tell things from non-contact drills just for the record. You can tell a lot actually and you can certainly see who is getting it and who is not. When camp comes along, you'll say it is just camp and not a real game likely, as if elite coaches can't tell anything from training camp. Then you'll say it's just preseason. they you'll say, you can't tell if he is any good because we don't have the offensive weapons. Nope, you can tell lots of stuff at every step. Anyway, I'm sure we will be able to see a lot after a season plays out.

Back
Top Bottom