Barry Jackson: Dolphins Can Clear Lots of Cap Space | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphins Can Clear Lots of Cap Space

I like it. I would love to see them restructure Wake and not cut him. I'd hate to see him in almost any uni... would lose it if he became a patriot. I also say cut Jordan and let Vernon walk. Resign miller and Shelby (cheep). Jennings should be cut now I used to love him but he has done very little here and we should see what Hazel and Parker have.

I don't want to go crazy throwing away money to fa I would like if we could actually build through the draft

True, but Miami has so many holes that it would take years of great drafting to field a good team. I see no problem with paying one or two good o-linemen for the short term while grooming draft picks for the future, because the o-line is an immediate need. They don't even have a competent back-up for the oft-injured Albert! Maybe even a half-decent LB and CB, too. They don't need to break the bank to do this, they just need someone else other than the people currently on the team to do the picking. Why was Hickey copying Ireland and using high draft picks on injured players? Ross needs to clean house, and he better make the right decisions this time!

Grimes' salary is very palpable IMO. Unless he completely looks like last week (lol), I am not cutting him. Got to be careful not to open more holes to fill that you can't fill.

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

True. I guess all corners have their bad days. Plus you know he's the kind of guy to go back out there and give it his all to not let it happen again. Anyone know how Chris culliver has played this season? I really wanted to sign him last offseason. Makes pretty much the same as grimes..

But looking at the 2016 FA... Not seeing much there- Prince Amukamara (don't know how he's played as of late), Nolan Carroll (heh), and Josh Norman (def most expensive CB next season) outside of that ... not so great I don't think.

I wanna look at other positions now... It's sad that everyone has moved onto next season already

Okay so some names to throw out there

Inside linebackers: Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevanthan, Paul Worrilow

Not sure how any of these guys would fit into our scheme or if they would. Top names I recognized

Safety: the Chiefs have both Eric Berry and Tyvon Branch as fa. I'd take branch as a band aid or preferably Berry... Rashad Johnson from the cardinals, wanna say he's decent? Also, they have Robert Blanton as a cb, but I believe he plays safety too. I'd like to get him as depth. Could replace Michael Thomas / Kovacs who are also free agents.

DE is gonna be a hot mess no doubt

OL same thing, do we try to move on from Albert or what? LG too... I like turner at RG still and not sure why Douglas isn't getting any lg snaps

So just from that quick browse... I think the best thing to do is go CB / LB early in the draft. Hoops said in his last thread we need too 40 picks for both spots, hard to argue. I'd rather draft Jaylon Smith if he will come out, then go CB. Also need to try to sign a corner though. Im all for giving the money grimes would get to one of those other guys.. Well get to see some Bobby McCain too for 8 games, see what he has to offer

I like it. I would love to see them restructure Wake and not cut him. I'd hate to see him in almost any uni... would lose it if he became a patriot. I also say cut Jordan and let Vernon walk. Resign miller and Shelby (cheep). Jennings should be cut now I used to love him but he has done very little here and we should see what Hazel and Parker have.

Not sure any reason that wake would restructure since its his last season. He would probably want a new contract.

If this team is to ever compete and continue to compete, we have to do a better job drafting PERIOD! We have Tanne, Pouncey, Miller, Landry and James on Offense and only Jones on Defense that are what I would call legitimate pieces of the puzzle that we drafted. The jury is still out on Phillips and Parker. Our drafting has been horrible for most of this century, sad to say!

Who gives a ****? They don't know what to do with it anyway...

I knew all of these figures, but didn't know the exact numbers on the re-structuring of Tanny and Suh. With $11M rollover, and $3M next year we'd enter the offseason with $14M. I'd cut:
- Cameron saves 7.5M, he can't be kept at his current number. Position I'd look to upgrade, but still a viable return candidate at a lower cap hit.
- Dion saves $3M, goes without saying. Move on.
- Jennings saves $4M, have very good WR depth, saves enough on his own to cover Matthews likely year 1 cap hit.
- Brice McCain saves $2.5M, he'd be a maybe but I really like Bobby.
- Mitchell saves $2.5M, he is still cheap...but depth wise think we can do better and put Phillips in a fulltime role.
- Wake I'd restructure as a situational pass rusher. Lower his cap hit to $5M and save $5M on the cap.

That alone puts us at $38.5M in cap space. Then I'd restructure Suh and that puts us at $54.5M in cap space. I'd leave Tannehill's contract alone, still gotta consider future years and his cap hit isn't outlandish like Suh's. We'd enter the offseason with needs at guard, running back, tight end, swing-tackle, defensive end, middle linebacker, cornerback and free safety. Keeping some of our own, I'd approach it like this:
- Derrick Shelby 4/16 ($2.5M year 1). Great compliment to Wake as a run stopper.
- Rishard Matthews 4/20 ($3.5M year 1). One of our best offensive players, could easily make more than this if he continues to perform.
- Lamar Miller 4/16 ($3M year 1). Tough call with Miller...but he has impressed me a lot this year compared to years past. Could easily let him go, hopefully we get to see what Ajayi can do down the stretch.

Those deals would leave us at $44.5M entering the offseason. I think you go defense heavy in this draft, focusing on the secondary and MLB. A DE is needed too. Guard is a position I'd look to solve in FA, I'd add a FS and a CB to the mix too if possible. Mike has to get added high in the draft. Lots of good choices.

QB: I'd look at Colt McCoy or Brock Osweiler. I'd draft a QB in the mid-rounds too.
RB: If we let Miller go, I'd look at James Starks, Lance Dunbar or Ronnie Hilman, as I feel they'd be better compliments to Ajayi.
WR: With Matthews back no need to add anyone here. 3 WR set of Parker, Matthews and Stills is solid. Sanu is a guy I'd consider if Matthews leaves.
TE: Gary Barnidge has made himself some money....could be a valuable redzone piece. Aside from that not many upgrades on Cameron...maybe Ben Watson or Ladarius Green.
OT: Been pounding the table for Ryan Harris for years now...good depth piece, cheap and unspectacular. Cordy Glenn probably too pricey. Jo Barksdale.
OG: Should be our #1 priority in FA. Brandon Brooks day 1 would be huge for our OL and solidify it. He should be the big signing.

DE: Greg Hardy...jk. Not a great crop...Mincey on a short term. William Hayes from STL
OLB: Weak crop...might actually keep Misi. Maybe Vincent Rey.
MLB: Jerrell Freeman, Brandon Marshall (RFA), or Danny Trevathan would be solid. Could play one of them at mike or SLB and let the rookie play the other spot. Has to be a major focus on draft day, top 2 rounds.
CB: I'd consider making a splash here. Grimes is in his last year, try to get someone young and talented that could develop into a #1. Desperately need more top level CBs. Josh Norman has been phenomenal this year...would love to make a statement and bring him in. Janoris Jenkins is a stud. Prince Amukamara. Patrick Robinson who I wanted us to sign last offseason is having a solid year.
FS: Walt Aikens has improven a bit...I'd bring in a mid-tier guy to compete with him and provide depth. Walter Thurmond, Rashad Johnson. Weddle and Berry are probably too expensive.

So if we could bring in Colt McCoy as a backup QB (vet-min). Keep Miller or get Starks/Hillman at a similar term ($4M). Grab Barndige ($6M), Harris (vet-min), but we could make having a rock solid backup an option too, and I'd definitely consider it with Albert being so unreliable. So lets say Barksdale ($3.5M). Brandon Brooks is a must ($8M), Hayes ($4M), Norman ($6.5M) and Thurmond ($4M) I'd be extremely happy. That'd be 7 FA's coming in, 2 upper level ones, 3 mid-tier and 2 min guys, very manageable. Even with flat cap hits we'd still have $11M available. Offseason will be very interesting, tons of money to work with. These projections are pretty loose this early.

So our weakest spots would now have Brooks infused. CB group would be fantastic, Grimes and Norman on the outside would be lockdown, with McCain in the slot, Thomas back as a backup nickle and Taylor as depth. Add another FS into the mix and it arguable becomes a strength. You can comfortable enter the draft focusing your efforts on MLB and DE and go BPA the rest of the way.

I would completely re-do RT and Suh. While they have not played awesome this year, they are not the issue. We certainly need more from them, but if I was in the FO my coaching change would be my plan to get more out of them.

For RT: I would FINALLY bolster the Oline and become a blue collar offense. Run the ball, throw off of play action and try to be a team that is always playing 3rd and manageable. When RT has time and is not behind the sticks he is very, very effective.
For Suh: The team needs to look to have Jim Schwartz or a dream scenario would be if Teryl Austin popped free to run the defense. This offseason I am putting Suh in the EXACT defense that made the team sign him for mega dollars. From there, I would run to sign Jim Washburn to coach my Dline. Suh supposedly respects him to no end and I bet Washburn would get a ton out of Phillips.

Eventually the average NFL fan will realize that as long as you are paying the right players there really is not such thing as cap hell in the NFL anymore.

Also with way teams really are structuring their contracts there really isn't cap hell. Every NFL team always has plenty of cap to execute their offseason plans.

I know I am in the minority, but I am actually excited for the offseason ahead.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Eventually the average NFL fan will realize that as long as you are paying the right players there really is not such thing as cap hell in the NFL anymore.

Also with way teams really are structuring their contracts there really isn't cap hell. Every NFL team always has plenty of cap to execute their offseason plans.

Plus, the cap is going to soar a couple years from now.

Nice post bro. I think you can still be in cap hell depending how the contracts are worked up. Most teams as you said are getting better at this now.

We dont need to add more guaranteed money down the line for Suh and Tannehill. That would be beyond stupid. So what he puts out isnt some special revelation.
Plus if you cut Grimes and Wake you still have to replace these guys.

Not sure adding 24 million in bonus for Suh. 10 million for Tannehill are smart ideas.

Restructuring Suh and RT is a must. Converting contracts to bonus vs. salary is done all the time and is a very smart move that all teams employ.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

It can still happen.....as I think the Saints have been dealing with this last 18 months. But in general, I agree with your point.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

I know I am in the minority, but I am actually excited for the offseason ahead.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Yes and no......still looking forward to these last 8 games this year to see what we have....in both coaches and players.

Back
Top Bottom