Barry Jackson: Dolphins Can Clear Lots of Cap Space | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphins Can Clear Lots of Cap Space

He leaves out who is going to be coaching ALL of these players up. That will be the biggest key. We have seen players go from Miami to other places and play well. To me, that was a lack of coaching.

It is going to be a very interesting offseason and I will keep saying it, this team is closer than people realize.

I couldn't disagree more about this team being closer than people think. Sure, the cap situation isn't as bad as people might believe, but I think this team is as far away from being a contender since before Philben was named the head coach. The defense needs a total rebuild. The whole linebacking corps needs to be replaced along with it's depth. Jenkins may be the only guy you could get away with putting on the field every week, but that's only if your other two starting linebackers are above average because I think Jenkins is average at best. I believe that you need two starting boundary cornerbacks. Grimes looks washed up to me plus I hate the fact that he is so short. It is time to add some height to the corner position. The only young guy that has shown some promise at the position is Bobby McCain and he is another short nickel corner. I think the defense needs to add at least two defensive ends. There is not a legitimate pass rusher at that position on the whole roster without Wake. The free safety position could be upgraded for sure. On the offensive side of the ball, the situation is less dire. I believe a lot of pieces are in place, even on the offensive line. They just need a better coordinator, some time to "grow" together, and some depth.
I believe the best way to fix this mess is to add as much talent as possible through the draft and use free agency to fill some holes with cheap one year type contracts until the core of the team is talented enough to the point where you can almost ignore free agency altogether. I believe it will take at least a few years unfortunately.

Miami is quite closer to being a team who will pick in the top 10 of the draft than it is a contender.

I believe the best way to fix this mess is to add as much talent as possible through the draft and use free agency to fill some holes with cheap one year type contracts until the core of the team is talented enough to the point where you can almost ignore free agency altogether. I believe it will take at least a few years unfortunately.

That's kind of the basic formula for all NFL teams....isn't it? Our challenge is identifying the talent in the draft to begin with.

I actually agree with Hayden on this. I do think the team is closer than most people think. Injuries aside, you add a strong MIKE Linebacker, a quality corner and a quality pass rusher to go with a healthy Wake and Suh....this is an entirely different defense. You add some offensive guards, and some depth on the o-line, and perhaps a dynamic TE, this is a different offense.

No question we have challenges, but I think we will have the resources to address them......the larger question for me is the coaching staff and head coach.

That's kind of the basic formula for all NFL teams....isn't it? Our challenge is identifying the talent in the draft to begin with.

I actually agree with Hayden on this. I do think the team is closer than most people think. Injuries aside, you add a strong MIKE Linebacker, a quality corner and a quality pass rusher to go with a healthy Wake and Suh....this is an entirely different defense. You add some offensive guards, and some depth on the o-line, and perhaps a dynamic TE, this is a different offense.

No question we have challenges, but I think we will have the resources to address them......the larger question for me is the coaching staff and head coach.

Just adding 2 decent OG's changes this team an awful lot.
Put a quality Mike in there and things start looking a whole lot better!

It's laughable that anyone thinks this team is close to being anything but bottom of the barrel. This team won't win ever win anything with Tannehill, on the defensive side Suh's salary and the fact that he's a cancer are worse.

Its laughable that people think it takes a lot to get into the playoffs. The entire league is at or near .500.

This team needs strong coaching and fixes from the inside out and they can be playing in January. This is not like inventing nuclear fusion, folks.

At this moment in time, and things obviously can change a lot depending on what happens running up to the off season but although our strength is very much our D and weakness our O, the D is the area that will need the most investment. We've got to replace two quality players in Wake and Grimes, as well as fixing the linebackers, getting another CB to play on the other side and the same at DE if OV is not resigned.

A player i think we should be targeting in the draft is Vernon Hargreaves of Florida, bit of Florida bias here but that guy is a day one starter and a lock down corner, just what we need. If we continue to suck as we do right now we could be in a good place to select him.

Of course if we change to a 3-4, depending on who gets the HC and DC Job, then there is even more work to do on D. For the O, I think we are set at WR, we are locked to Tanny at QB. Although I like Miller a lot, we have too many holes in the roster to tie up too much money in an RB, so unless he comes cheap, i don't see him back next year. I'm sick of spending money and time on the OL and we are already locked in investment wise to tackles and center, guards and young and development ones, unless we cut Albert, I don't see us investing there.

Suh is a complete waste of money if the team changes to a 3-4. That is a completely dumb move.

Its laughable that people think it takes a lot to get into the playoffs. The entire league is at or near .500.

This team needs strong coaching and fixes from the inside out and they can be playing in January. This is not like inventing nuclear fusion, folks.

I think this is very accurate. Our first challenge is to move away from an approach that all we have to do is go shopping for this piece or that. Building a cohesive team is so much more important than filling a team with pieces that look good.

If I were in charge I'd make sure the new coach knew he was going to have several years to build his vision but that he was not going to be able to build through free agency. We are going to focus on second and third tier players. If we get close to a SB I'll consider adding that one piece to get us over the top.

For the life of me I don't see how people continue to focus on adding this piece or that piece when that is all we have done for the last decade and it has resulted in nothing but complete disaster. Football is not Madden. I understand how fan fail to see this but someone in the front office should have some understanding of what the game of football actually is.

This team has had not had a great coaching year since 2008. Tony, Henning and Coach P. were on their games that year.

Suh is a complete waste of money if the team changes to a 3-4. That is a completely dumb move.

I don't believe the alignment of the defense is as important as getting the surrounding cast to do it's job. Cam Wake was just getting healthy and having Suh on that line was starting to show it's effect in his production. I don't have a significant preference one way or the other. As long as Suh is attacking up field we'll be ok.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/10/0...-suh-in-a-3-4-would-be-virtually-unstoppable/

Good to know! I just want a competent FO from top to bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure you can say that when it's mostly the same teams making the playoffs year after year. Clearly, it's not so simple considering.

I do believe once you hit on the right formula FO and players and Scheme then yeah it much easier. But, it also shows you by the teams season after season not making it that finding the perfect formula is not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe the alignment of the defense is as important as getting the surrounding cast to do it's job. Cam Wake was just getting healthy and having Suh on that line was starting to show it's effect in his production. I don't have a significant preference one way or the other. As long as Suh is attacking up field we'll be ok.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/10/0...-suh-in-a-3-4-would-be-virtually-unstoppable/

Sorry. I am not experimenting with something he has not done before. There was something the team and ALL of us saw in Suh while in Detroit that made the team drive the Brinks truck to his door. Whatever was used in Det must be brought to Miami. Plus, bring in Jim Washburn.

Back
Top Bottom