Barry Jackson: Dolphins Can Clear Lots of Cap Space | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphins Can Clear Lots of Cap Space

Sorry. I am not experimenting with something he has not done before. There was something the team and ALL of us saw in Suh while in Detroit that made the team drive the Brinks truck to his door. Whatever was used in Det must be brought to Miami. Plus, bring in Jim Washburn.

If you can get it done I'm all on board! I can't say I'm to familiar with Suhs previous defense, I don't watch much Detroit football.

There is no way you can replace Mitchell and McCain for $2.5M each. We can easily free up $30-40M in cap space including the $10M roll over from this year. With that in mind, there is no reason in the world to re-structure anybody. You do this when your cap space back is against the wall, not before.

Any FA's signed to a long term deal are gonna be cheap in year one, and will jump in year two. We could sign 4 high priced FA's for $15M the first year, as our signings have showed. So, you take the big hit on Suh, and any other player next year with much more room to structure contracts in 2017.

However, the FA market has become much more competitive than the past. All teams are getting the $25-30M cap increases 2014 through 2016, and all teams have to spend 90% of their cap space. Teams have been, and will be keeping their own. In addition to money, a coach may make a difference to a degree, like one's who know what a player can do and put him in a position to do the same.

I think Barry is the best of all media on our Dolphins but, not when it comes to the salary cap. Last off season, media and posters thought we had cap problems with $25M in dead money from moves made. I disagreed, and all we did was sign Suh, Tannehill, and Pouncey to huge contracts, with $10M left over.

Earlier this year, Jackson, the media, and many posters thought we would be in cap hell next year. I disagreed, and now we have tons of projected money to play with. It's not all that difficult to understand.

That's kind of the basic formula for all NFL teams....isn't it? Our challenge is identifying the talent in the draft to begin with.

I actually agree with Hayden on this. I do think the team is closer than most people think. Injuries aside, you add a strong MIKE Linebacker, a quality corner and a quality pass rusher to go with a healthy Wake and Suh....this is an entirely different defense. You add some offensive guards, and some depth on the o-line, and perhaps a dynamic TE, this is a different offense.

No question we have challenges, but I think we will have the resources to address them......the larger question for me is the coaching staff and head coach.

Why didn't you finish highlighting the rest of my quote? I said use free agency to fill holes with one year contract guys, not the highest priced free agent on the market every off season like the Dolphins have for three straight seasons.

What's dumb about this article is he gets carried away w talking about cutting all 53 guys.

Restructuring Suh and RT is a must. Converting contracts to bonus vs. salary is done all the time and is a very smart move that all teams employ.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

It can still happen.....as I think the Saints have been dealing with this last 18 months. But in general, I agree with your point.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Yes and no......still looking forward to these last 8 games this year to see what we have....in both coaches and players.

The problem is that coversion on Suh only hurts caps more down the line. That money becomes guaranteed and he already has a ton of guaranteed money.

Back
Top Bottom