Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him.

Did I correctly read somewhere, that he was actually a college Qb, but there wasnt room for him on the team to Qb, so to get on the field and play, he switched to WR?
Anyhow, I always liked him and had high hopes he’d be our guy. Still holding out some hope, whilst he’s still on the team, but with injuries, it may be time to move on..
Can he somehow restructure and be our backup next year?

Patrick Mahomes won't get much love because he plays in a "system" offense in the Big 12, but he checks all the boxes otherwise. Size, speed, arm, and swagger. If the Dolphins don't go QB in round one, he could be available in round 2 or maybe 3.

The above quote was mine from September 2016. I really liked Mahomes in college.

Did I correctly read somewhere, that he was actually a college Qb, but there wasnt room for him on the team to Qb, so to get on the field and play, he switched to WR?
Anyhow, I always liked him and had high hopes he’d be our guy. Still holding out some hope, whilst he’s still on the team, but with injuries, it may be time to move on..
Can he somehow restructure and be our backup next year?

That’s exactly what happened in college. He couldn’t beat out Jerrod Johnson at A&M who isn’t even on an NFL team anymore.
Maybe they should try Tannehill back at WR, he played well as one at A&M.

I hated the pick when we made it. Never thought he would amount to anything, 3 years in the league and out, so in a sense he's exceeded my expectations. However I could understand the appeal, the arm talent was clearly there, he was a very smart kid coming out with a great character, his time as a wideout surely would help him get on the same page as his receivers, the ability to throw a good ball on the run and the mobility were there. I remember Gruden interviewing all the QBs in that class for ESPN and Tannehill came over really really well, Gruden was gushing. What I couldn't get past was all the average tape there was on the guy, how his clear talent didn't seem to translate to winning many games at college, he just looked average at that level and I didn't expect him to improve when he went up to another level.

Despite my clear dislike of the guy, I've always been willing to give him a chance to prove himself, and that extends to even this year, which I always thought of as make or break. I'll be the first to admit, I'm far from the best elevator of players for this game, and he's certainly got a lot of people on here in his corner, there must be a reason for that that I've yet to see for myself. But honestly at 30 (31 when he's perhaps likely to throw another ball in anger), he's not likely to reach a level much higher than what we've seen.

In terms of what is a "Franchise" QB, it's a good question, in one sense, you could define it as a player that has the unequivocal support of those within the organisation and is compensated accordingly, in that sense, Tannehill has already made it. I think that's too simplistic though, I think it extends beyond those inside the building out into the fan base and is reflected in a person's record. A career losing record with zero play off appearances coupled with a hugely divided fan base screams loudly that it would be folly to hang all your hopes on this guy, how can you call someone like that the franchise guy ?

Had Tannehill and RG3 rated as 2nd-Round QB's. But, by the criteria I use now, I'd have rated them lower. I was more willing to overlook glaring flaws when a QB had high-end physical tools back then.

I didn't know enough about him to know if he was a franchise QB or not, I was just glad at the time that we drafted one.

I wanted him at #22, but got laughed at... see signature.

Dude we would have missed out on Charles Harris had he been there and we took him, Charles Fing Harris, you simply can't pass up on that kind of talent :p

Well the truth is Mahomes went at 10, and I would have never traded up that high to get him.

Nope, didn't want him at all.

I was calling for was signing Flynn, drafting either Floyd or Keuchly round 1 and then Russel Wilson.

I couldn't and still don't see how drafting a QB who couldn't win the starting job in college and as a 5th year senior led the #8 team out of the top 25 with a 7-6 record while being surrounded by the the best offensive cast in college could only muster being the 56th ranked QB and if taking his second half stats would have been ranked somewhere around 112th (can't remember exact off top of my head right now).

And that it was an Ireland pick only confirmed how idiotic that pick was.

Had Tannehill and RG3 rated as 2nd-Round QB's. But, by the criteria I use now, I'd have rated them lower. I was more willing to overlook glaring flaws when a QB had high-end physical tools back then.
RGIII...Heisman trophy winner/2012 ROY...in the 2nd round?

Back
Top Bottom