Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him.

I don't like that age or type of resume. Sucker material. Low percentage. I have been wrong about plenty of quarterbacks but I was mostly correct about Ryan Tannehill. I think I posted before the draft that his absolute upside was maybe 12th in the league if everything unfolded perfectly.

The bowl games hold increasing importance to me regarding quarterback prospects. I had one friend in Las Vegas who always focused on that and was correct more often than not. Recently, Paxton Lynch looked like a total reject based on being befuddled by Auburn in his bowl game. Ryan Tannehill as a junior was on a 6 game winning streak and the team extremely hyped heading into the LSU bowl game. They had confidence and jumped out to a 10-0 lead. From that point, Tannehill looked overmatched. He threw 3 interceptions and never had any response as everything fell apart and LSU won easily. I remember Tannehill didn't seem overly surprised or angry. It goes back to what TedSlimm has said about Tannehill not believing he is great. Then as a senior Tannehill had the same type of thing repeatedly: jumping out to big first half leads then doing nothing in the second half as the team folded and lost. Texas A&M was ranked 8th in preseason and was favored in all but one game yet finished 7-6.

I would have picked Keuchly, as I posted prior to that draft. Obviously others would have made the same pick, including TedSlimm. In all the decades I have followed the Canes only a few players really jumped out as freaks from the opposing team, and one was Kuechly in the season finale that year, including an interception return for touchdown off Jacory Harris.

Minus Tannehill I might have had flops while picking quarterbacks but I darn sure wouldn't be slow to acknowledge it and try again. The danger with Ryan Tannehill was always this stall mode year after year. I'm not convinced we have escaped out the other end.

I thoght he had a chance to be good. I never said he was a franchise QB. I rooted for him and believe he got better but not as good as I had hoped for. Now that he's missed games 3 years in a row I'm just ready to move on if we can find an upgrade.

Please, the better Questions is how many franchise QBs have the majority of you gotten right?

Stop singling out Tannehill.

QB's I viewed as worth top-10 picks:

2011 - Cam Newton
2012 - Andrew Luck

2014 - Johnny Manziel
2015 - Jameis Winston
2016 - Carson Wentz
2017 - Deshaun Watson
2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold

I had avoided dealing with character concerns prior to 2016 - only judging talent - and (imo) Manziel and Winston's struggles/failures both have more to do with being unstable people than lacking the necessary talent to be a franchise QB. I'd say Russell Wilson is my biggest miss. During the draft process, I never took him seriously because of his size, but I've learned a lot since then.

QB's I viewed as worth top-10 picks:

2011 - Cam Newton
2012 - Andrew Luck

2014 - Johnny Manziel
2015 - Jameis Winston
2016 - Carson Wentz
2017 - Deshaun Watson
2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold

I had avoided dealing with character concerns prior to 2016 - only judging talent - and (imo) Manziel and Winston's struggles/failures both have more to do with being unstable people than lacking the necessary talent to be a franchise QB. I'd say Russell Wilson is my biggest miss. During the draft process, I never took him seriously because of his size, but I've learned a lot since then.

Baker got the talent to be an elite qb, legit arm talent.

I can only imagine what this team would’ve been if Saban picked up Rodgers in the draft.

clicked on this thread: AdamC13 nailed it from day 1: https://finheaven.com/threads/why-isnt-tannehill-further-along.281792/

This quote from that thread in 2012 says it all.
That one....

and i guess it also comes down to i feel like i could right now be an nfl talent evaluator no problem...i believe that if i applied my life that way that i could be working in the league right now...no doubt in my mind about it...just the way i feel...if i had the opportunity i think i could nail it

:lol:

NO, I did not think he was a franchise QB. I thought Tannehill was overdrafted and a last hurrah by Ireland to save his job. I did not like the pick because Tannehill was already behind his competition having played receiver the majority of the time.

I was happy we choose a QB finally. Unfortunately it was the wrong one again. Russel Wilson was the choice of that draft. Just surpassed 200 TD’s this evening. Almost twice as many as Ryan has provided. Saw him a bit in college watching Michigan games and knew he was good. Thought Ryan could be good also. Never really had a preference back then other than getting someone new and young.

I was praying and hoping Tannehill would still be there at #8. Boy did we get lucky. Can’t believe he fell that far. Miami got a franchise QB without having to trade up. Those 7 teams that passed on Tannehill are looking awfully stupid now.

For sure having to be away from their families during the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom