Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him.

What I actually wanted that off season was to sign Matt Flynn. You'll laugh, and that's OK. But I didn't want JUST him. I didn't want JUST one guy. I wanted TWO. I wanted two shots on goal. That was my preference.

I'd looked at the draft quite a bit, as I always do. I had two guys in mind that I wanted to see if I could get with my 2nd round pick. The first, and I will always admit he was the higher ranked guy for me, because that's the truth, but the first was Brandon Weeden. The second was Russell Wilson. Both players to me were true BOOM-OR-BUST picks. They were either going to be incredible NFL quarterbacks, or they were going to be...awful draft picks. That's how I saw them.

I thought, you get Matt Flynn who knows Joe Philbin's offense and has shown some promise coming in for Aaron Rodgers, and that gives you a margin of safety. It puts a FLOOR under your plan. From there, you really roll the dice on guys like Weeden or Wilson in the 2nd round, because that could give you a really high CEILING.

Ryan Tannehill was the alternative plan, for me. I saw him as a low ceiling, high floor draft pick. He had too many skills, too good a character to ever really be a bad quarterback. But was he ever going to be a great one? Didn't seem likely, to me. He just didn't have that sort of information processing ability, that sort of consistency, awareness, high performance level.

It's funny but the Seahawks ended up with my plan, and the Dolphins ended up with the plan that it was rumored Pete Carroll really wanted (he was rumored to covet Tannehill at 15 overall). That said, once the Dolphins passed up on Matt Flynn I thought they had to go with Tannehill or Weeden in the 1st round because they'd lost that margin of safety. Couldn't go boom-or-bust at that point.

My opinions on all these quarterbacks change over time, by necessity. You find out new information about these guys, and it changes your view. Russell Wilson is no longer a boom or bust player, a player whose height could be the fatal flaw that prevents his incredible talent from taking over. He's one of the best QBs playing the game today.

Meanwhile Brandon Weeden is...a BUST. Just couldn't handle an NFL pocket. Couldn't process NFL information quickly enough. Too old to be given much time to figure it out.

But I think i can honestly say that my opinion of Ryan Tannehill probably hasn't changed much in six years. He's still the low ceiling, high floor guy.

What I actually wanted that off season was to sign Matt Flynn. You'll laugh, and that's OK. But I didn't want JUST him. I didn't want JUST one guy. I wanted TWO. I wanted two shots on goal. That was my preference.

I'd looked at the draft quite a bit, as I always do. I had two guys in mind that I wanted to see if I could get with my 2nd round pick. The first, and I will always admit he was the higher ranked guy for me, because that's the truth, but the first was Brandon Weeden. The second was Russell Wilson. Both players to me were true BOOM-OR-BUST picks. They were either going to be incredible NFL quarterbacks, or they were going to be...awful draft picks. That's how I saw them.

I thought, you get Matt Flynn who knows Joe Philbin's offense and has shown some promise coming in for Aaron Rodgers, and that gives you a margin of safety. It puts a FLOOR under your plan. From there, you really roll the dice on guys like Weeden or Wilson in the 2nd round, because that could give you a really high CEILING.

Ryan Tannehill was the alternative plan, for me. I saw him as a low ceiling, high floor draft pick. He had too many skills, too good a character to ever really be a bad quarterback. But was he ever going to be a great one? Didn't seem likely, to me. He just didn't have that sort of information processing ability, that sort of consistency, awareness, high performance level.

It's funny but the Seahawks ended up with my plan, and the Dolphins ended up with the plan that it was rumored Pete Carroll really wanted (he was rumored to covet Tannehill at 15 overall). That said, once the Dolphins passed up on Matt Flynn I thought they had to go with Tannehill or Weeden in the 1st round because they'd lost that margin of safety. Couldn't go boom-or-bust at that point.

My opinions on all these quarterbacks change over time, by necessity. You find out new information about these guys, and it changes your view. Russell Wilson is no longer a boom or bust player, a player whose height could be the fatal flaw that prevents his incredible talent from taking over. He's one of the best QBs playing the game today.

Meanwhile Brandon Weeden is...a BUST. Just couldn't handle an NFL pocket. Couldn't process NFL information quickly enough. Too old to be given much time to figure it out.

But I think i can honestly say that my opinion of Ryan Tannehill probably hasn't changed much in six years. He's still the low ceiling, high floor guy.

Wilson is the most overrated quarterback ever. I watched him miss wide open guys tonight and still pull out a W.

I was praying and hoping Tannehill would still be there at #8. Boy did we get lucky. Can’t believe he fell that far. Miami got a franchise QB without having to trade up. Those 7 teams that passed on Tannehill are looking awfully stupid now.

Yeah but they don’t have a franchise QB that’s a dual receiver/passing threat do they?

LOL

I've used this before (I think even with some of your posts) but, since it's apt:

That one guy from hard knocks that said RT17 will be a Superbowl winning qb in 3 years during the Dolphins Hard Knocks Season

" BOOK IT!"

Where is that guy now? HAHA

I still think he is.

And I’m not gonna let 2 bad plays which involved more than just the qb screw ups vs cinci or a complete road team failure vs the patriots change that for me.

I knew going in that he was a receiver who turned into a QB with not as many years as a college qb as others. That bothered me.
I trusted the FO and took a wait and see approach.
I also knew that if Garrard wasnt injured he was probably the starter.

Some of you keep peddling this false narrative. Regardless of how you feel about RT, he was recruited out of HS as a QB. He was also a very good athlete and as an underclassman when he didn’t win the starting job, he wanted to get on the field so badly, that he offered to play WR.
He is and always was a QB.
Nearly every player in the NFL has, at one time or another played multiple positions throughout little league and HS. That is testament to their athleticism.

I was just glad that we drafted a QB.
I hoped for the best, and have supported him thru the years, but I'm at the end of the rope.
Too many bad plays and games to keep hoping for any consistent improvement.
Sometimes, you just have to cut the cord.

I was open minded about it. I thought he’d be more athletic. He’s straight line speed and that’s it. I was hoping being a former WR he’d have some shake and bake.

Check my post history- i wanted Russel Wilson and made a post on it.

I can only imagine what this team would’ve been if Saban picked up Rodgers in the draft.

Some of you make me laugh..

Brees, Brady, Rodgers would STILL be the players they are today if they started off here or anywhere else for that matter?

I was open minded about it. I thought he’d be more athletic. He’s straight line speed and that’s it. I was hoping being a former WR he’d have some shake and bake.

I would say that's the thing that's surprised me most about him. Having played receiver formally I definitely expected he'd be able to navigate the pocket a lot smoother and almost effortlessly.

Some of you make me laugh..

Brees, Brady, Rodgers would STILL be the players they are today if they started off here or anywhere else for that matter?
WTH you babbling about? I wish this would’ve happened. I wanted Saban to stay and was hoping for him to get Bree’s or Rodgers. I honestly think this team would’ve been good if it was with Saban/Rodgers or Bree’s.
But I know Saban liked Alex Smith a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom