Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Be Honest Who Really Thought Rt Was A Franchise Qb When We Drafted Him.

What I'm blabbering about is inherent assumption that all players would develop and be the same type of players they are today under any system/organization.

I think fans, such as yourself, absolutely fail to take into account how much being under the right system and organization influences some of these players growth.

I would say the right coaching/organization initially is more important than any players raw talent.

I would further state that those players in the train wreck coaching and organization staff we had at the time wouldn't be the elite monsters they are today.
And this is all based on assumption...... assuming the assumption falls in line with your way of thinking. But ok.

Wilson is the most overrated quarterback ever. I watched him miss wide open guys tonight and still pull out a W.

He’s overrated but the most overrated qb in football is dak Prescott.

Seems like Wilson’s always got something top 5 to work with.

#1 running game in professional football. Going into the game last week they had a top 5 defense too.

Big difference between a starter and a franchise guy. That you never know. Tannehill hasn’t been very much worse than Andrew Luck in overall career stats, and he was a sure thing franchise guy that you would have had to mortgage the future for to get. I’ll take a Nick Foles that can run a team to the Super Bowl and is a back up. There are guys that can out play Ryan Tannehill and still wouldn’t be considered franchise guys.

I thought he could learn and get better and hopefully be that QB that could get this franchise going again. I think we need to keep our search going every year in the draft and FA to put together much needed competition and depth for this team to compete with the best in the league.

Russell Wilson is 8-4 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl win. He's completed 62% of his passes with an 8.3 yards per attempt, 20 pass TDs and 11 INTs, not to mention 60 runs for 354 yards and 2 more TDs.

You basically just cherry-picked two of his worst playoff performances and tried to pretend that's how he generally is in the playoffs. I have no respect for that sort of analysis.

He's been to the playoffs 3 times and if not for that onside kick his horrible performances would have cost the team 2 of them, and his pick against NE cost them the SB. That's not cherry picking, that's reality. Eli Manning plays like a Hall of Famer in the playoffs, Russell Wilson does not. That's the truth, but I can tell you (and many others) don't care about that. He won a SB with an awesome team and he's been good in the regular season so he's a Hofer I guess :rolleyes:, talk about cherry picking. As if he has nothing left to prove (I got no respect for that), Trent Dilfer could've won it with the 13' Seahawks lmao, that SB was over on the first snap.

Last edited:
Might want to be accurate before making a post like this. He was a QB before he was a receiver. Thanks.
Attention whores lose all their credibility with that statement. Don’t give them the attention they’re looking for, their mother will coddle them.

The hindsight is great with this one.

Tannehill showed the makings of an elite prospect in college with strong arm talent, timely throws on outside routes, and solid stats against a tough conference in the SEC.

Where he lacked, however, was in regards to his ability to be a fiery leader (not necessary for a QB, but many of the great quarterbacks have that) and his performance in games with big implications.

Much like Miami, when the season is on the line, Tannehill tenses up and doesn't play his best. When his job is challenged, he does enough to keep it. When he's relaxed and its just a plain ol' regular season game, he plays well.

But his deficiencies in college were the same deficiencies he has in the pros. You can coach those out of a player (see Goff in his first year with Fisher and then his massive leap under McVay). Tannehill did not get that benefit. And old habits die hard.

Sucks for him, sucks for us, but **** happens. In the end, it's not his fault he was put into some shitty situations, but at the same time, many players have become self-made. Tannehill rode on the coattails of his coaches and wasn't the player to transcend that.

The hindsight is great with this one.

Tannehill showed the makings of an elite prospect in college with strong arm talent, timely throws on outside routes, and solid stats against a tough conference in the SEC.

Where he lacked, however, was in regards to his ability to be a fiery leader (not necessary for a QB, but many of the great quarterbacks have that) and his performance in games with big implications.

Much like Miami, when the season is on the line, Tannehill tenses up and doesn't play his best. When his job is challenged, he does enough to keep it. When he's relaxed and its just a plain ol' regular season game, he plays well.

But his deficiencies in college were the same deficiencies he has in the pros. You can coach those out of a player (see Goff in his first year with Fisher and then his massive leap under McVay). Tannehill did not get that benefit. And old habits die hard.

Sucks for him, sucks for us, but **** happens. In the end, it's not his fault he was put into some ****ty situations, but at the same time, many players have become self-made. Tannehill rode on the coattails of his coaches and wasn't the player to transcend that.

This really is a decent take. However, aTm wasn't in the SEC yet. Tannehill played a Big-12 schedule.

I can only imagine what this team would’ve been if Saban picked up Rodgers in the draft.

Some of you make me laugh..

Brees, Brady, Rodgers would STILL be the players they are today if they started off here or anywhere else for that matter?

WTH you babbling about? I wish this would’ve happened. I wanted Saban to stay and was hoping for him to get Bree’s or Rodgers. I honestly think this team would’ve been good if it was with Saban/Rodgers or Bree’s.
But I know Saban liked Alex Smith a bit better.

We had a fair chance at Rodgers but not with Saban. In that offseason Wayne H pulled Ron Wolf as an advisor. Wolf recommended to get Ted Thompson as a GM. Thompson worked under Wolf in Green Bay and was at that time with the Seahawks. He was one of those young, promising football execs who did not have a big name yet.
Wayne H wanted a flashy name and disregarded Wolf's recommendation and got Saban instead and installed Mueller as figurehead GM. Green Bay asked Wolf who to get as a GM and Wolf told them to bring Thompson back home. They did. Thompson drafted Rodgers that very same year. He fired Mike Sherman as a head coach (yeah that Sherman) and installed Mike McCarthy.

2005 could have been our turn around year. For me that is and was the most pivotal year of our franchise in the last 15 years. Wayne H ****ed up royally. And he knew it.
I remember a pre-season seasonticket holder invite with players, coaches, management and the owner (of course Saban was a no-show). The fans in attendance gave him hell about the non-hire the year before. All he said was that Saban was a great hire and that he will bring us the Superbowl. Less than 6 months later Saban quietly disappeared.
I think that whole mess did him in and he was ready to sell. Before that he never wanted to sell. He was a Dolphins fan since their inception before he became an owner.
He lost a lot of credibility he build up with the Panthers and the Marlins down here and I think this stumble in 2005 was a major reason that he sold the team to Ross a couple years later. And with Ross came the red carpet, celebrity minor owners, a barrage of inept coaches and GMs who couldn't coach or draft themselves out of a paper bag.

Always remember the year: 2005

What people have to explain to me is:
- Mike Sherman was a slouch
- Joe Philbin was a slouch
- Jeff Ireland was a slouch

These players were drafted under Ireland:
01 Jake Long
02 Phillip Merling
03 Chad Henne
04 Kendall Langford
05 Shawn Murphy
06 Jalen Parmele
07 Donald Thomas
08 Lex Hilliard
09 Lionel Dotson
10 Vontae Davis
11 Pat White
12 Sean Smith
13 Patrick Turner
14 Brian Hartline
15 John Nalbone
16 Chris Clemons
17 Andrew Gardner
18 J. D. Folsom
19 Nolan Carroll
20 Reshad Jones
21 Jared Odrick
22 Koa Misi
23 John Jerry
24 A. J. Edds
25 Chris McCoy
26 Austin Spitler
27 Mike Pouncey
28 Daniel Thomas
29 Edmond Gates
30 Charles Clay
31 Frank Kearse
32 Jimmy Wilson
33 Ryan Tannehill
34 Jonathan Martin
35 Olivier Vernon
36 Michael Egnew
37 Lamar Miller
38 Josh Kaddu
39 B.J. Cunningham
40 Kheeston Randall
41 Rishard Matthews
42 Dion Jordan
43 Jamar Taylor
44 Dallas Thomas
45 Will Davis
46 Jelani Jenkins
47 Dion Sims
48 Mike Gillislee
49 Caleb Sturgis
50 Don Jones

What a list. And yet those gum balls (Ireland, Philbin and Sherman) hit the jackpot in 2012 for the most important position on a football team?
:bobdole:

Back
Top Bottom