Bedard: Why Joe didn't know what was going on in locker room | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bedard: Why Joe didn't know what was going on in locker room

Well since Joe got rid of the team leaders, and knew Incognito was a problem from the golf course incident, and also knew Martin had mental health issues, maybe he should have kept an eye, and ear out for trouble. There was plenty of smoke, before this fire.

Pure hindsight. Ive been following NFL football since 1971 and I still find this JM/Incognito dynamic incomprehensible. I dont think any HC in the league could have anticipated such a bizarre series of events.
BTW, the players pick the leadership council, not Philbin. These aren't adolescents, they are grown men. IMO, it was the players who let Philbin (and the team) down. Not the other way around.

Pure hindsight. Ive been following NFL football since 1971 and I still find this JM/Incognito dynamic incomprehensible. I dont think any HC in the league could have anticipated such a bizarre series of events.
BTW, the players pick the leadership council, not Philbin. These aren't adolescents, they are grown men. IMO, it was the players who let Philbin (and the team) down. Not the other way around.

This has been my thinking all along. These guys are grown adults, they should act like it.

To me the most interesting part of the article is the comment, "Where was the director of player development?" I asked that question weeks ago. Did anyone on here even know we had one, much less his name? How does the guy whose sole job it is to "help" the type of people Martin and Incognito are get a free pass in this? Where was he, what did he know, and what did he do? And even if the answer is he knew nothing, then he should be gone becasue he is the one guy in the organiaztion whose sole job it is to know, dig for stuff just like this.

To me the most interesting part of the article is the comment, "Where was the director of player development?" I asked that question weeks ago. Did anyone on here even know we had one, much less his name? How does the guy whose sole job it is to "help" the type of people Martin and Incognito are get a free pass in this? Where was he, what did he know, and what did he do? And even if the answer is he knew nothing, then he should be gone becasue he is the one guy in the organiaztion whose sole job it is to know, dig for stuff just like this.

I knew we had one but I didn't know his name. Thornhill should have been the one person in the organization that Martin could/should have went to if he was having problems.

You don't appoint leaders people, just as you don't appoint meek followers. Leaders are a personality type and Richie would be a leader in the locker room whether he was on the council or not. And if Philbin allowed Richie to be on the leadership council perhaps he figured it would help him mature a bit? Wasn't Suh put on the leadership council in Detroit this past season? And I believe he was quoted as saying it did just that, it made him feel more responsible to his team.

Why do so many continue to say that Philbin got rid of the locker room leaders when he got rid of Bush, Dansby, Barnett & Long? I'm pretty sure those weren't his decisions solely but more importantly, those "leaders" were around during Martin's first year and either didn't notice anything was out of whack or did notice and didn't do anything about it. Incognito didn't become a pig all of a sudden during Martin's second year and Martin didn't all of a sudden become uncomfortable with the locker room in his second year either. Don't think having those guys around during Martin's meltdown would have made a lick of difference.

Jake Long wasn't much of a leader, he was on the team when Martin was a rookie and Incog looked up to him, but he didn't deal with him. I honestly like Philbin's style, rather than micromanage everyone below him he lets them get on with their job, is that not the type of manager you want?

The problem I have with the argument from Green Bay is Philbin is not a CEO. How many people are under him? Give me a break. This guy's got apologists everywhere.

Joe is not a CEO - he is more of an operations director if you want to draw comparison to the business world. The Dolphins have a CEO already. Joe's closer to the director of a dancing troupe than a CEO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that entire narrative is BS. Richie was going to do his thing whether he had some sort of title or not. An NFL locker room is full of grown ass men that should know right from wrong. If the harassment was as bad as JM portrayed it, someone should have stepped in or at least brought it to Philbin's attention. By all accounts this was not done.

Why have a leadership counsel if Richie was going to his thing no matter what? By being one of the leaders he called the shots when it came to OL meeting at the strip club and keeping a fine booklet to keep track of the fines he imposed on other lineman......this is about the decisions that Philbin made that came back to bite him on the ass not sure if he made the decision to not resign most of the veteran leadership or Ireland but he obviously agreed with it....

You don't appoint leaders people, just as you don't appoint meek followers. Leaders are a personality type and Richie would be a leader in the locker room whether he was on the council or not. And if Philbin allowed Richie to be on the leadership council perhaps he figured it would help him mature a bit? Wasn't Suh put on the leadership council in Detroit this past season? And I believe he was quoted as saying it did just that, it made him feel more responsible to his team.

Well I am glad it worked out for Suh, Richie not so much.....

Makes it pretty important to have the right leaders on the Leadership Council. This is a recipe for disaster if you have a bipolar sociopath as your team leader, who happens to be a big part of the problem. This also tells me that what worked well in Green Bay may be good process but not appropriate because the leaders are different.

My recollection from Hard Knocks is that Philbin basically pissed on the whole notion of the leadership council, and Jake Long didn't take too well to that. Then he got rid of Long and Karlos Dansby, two of the locker room leaders, then Richie Incognito (Richie Incognito?) gets on the leadership council. How did Philbin sign off on that? That's like giving the top psycho the keys to the mental ward. Then all hell breaks loose and Philbin goes in defense and job saving mode, wondering what happened. Philbin didn't have his extra eyes and ears in place to keep his finger on the pulse of the locker room, and that's on him.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that Kevin O'neill is going to sue the Dolphins and win. If he checked in with the asst. trainer and said that he heard what was going on as per the abuse, asked him if he wanted to handle it himself or have O'neill step in and help out, sounds to me like O'neill did the right thing. The asst trainer has to work with the players, obviously, on a regular basis. Lodging a formal complaint against a player is big stuff internally I would imagine, and could effect his working relationship with other players on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this nonsense about Philbin needing to step in and stop Incognito from being in the leadership council. A leader, my friends, is someone that others will follow. As it turns out, a lot of players liked Incognito and they were willing to follow him. That's all there's to it. Nobody gets to decide who the leaders are except the people the leader's going to lead.

Back
Top Bottom