Benardrick McKinney restructure | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benardrick McKinney restructure

So... a pay cut that allows him to walk next year. I like it.

Yet another opportunity to gain a comp pick.

So... a pay cut that allows him to walk next year. I like it.

Yet another opportunity to gain a comp pick.
I do like that if thats the case. Did you see specifics? That's what I'm hoping for.

Posted in the Dolphins nuggets thread.

Think it was 3M and some incentives. So about 3M savings for team and the last two years of contract were deleted.

I think Miami is playing the long game. They figure to gain a comp pick if he leaves. Very inline with what NE did with its players. It feels like they want a young cheap roster full of developmental players.
You only get comp picks from FAs leaving. That doesnt apply to X for 3 more seasons.

Thats a great restructure!
It acknowledged the fact that he was a bit overpaid for what he does... and McKinney obviously was willing to bet on himself.

If both sides are happy, even better.

It also fits with what the Dolphins keep doing with FAs; they sign them for a year or two as a bridge.

It acknowledged the fact that he was a bit overpaid for what he does... and McKinney obviously was willing to bet on himself.

If both sides are happy, even better.

It also fits with what the Dolphins keep doing with FAs; they sign them for a year or two as a bridge.
It has comp pick written all over it. I can see a scenario where Grier went to him with that offer and said you can sign it or we can cut you. But it's all speculation.

It has comp pick written all over it. I can see a scenario where Grier went to him with that offer and said you can sign it or we can cut you. But it's all speculation.
He's 29 this year; he was never more than a rental.

I doubt whether we would have cut him this year, but cutting him next year was certainly in the cards. This way, we reduced his salary AND might get a comp pick out of him instead of a straight cut... and who knows, if he does a good, but not great job... we might even resign him next year.

This is another smart Grier move... again. He just keeps making these kind of moves-- getting players to play for a year or two without taking any long term cap hits.

He's 29 this year; he was never more than a rental.

I doubt whether we would have cut him this year, but cutting him next year was certainly in the cards. This way, we reduced his salary AND might get a comp pick out of him instead of a straight cut... and who knows, if he does a good, but not great job... we might even resign him next year.

This is another smart Grier move... again. He just keeps making these kind of moves-- getting players to play for a year or two without taking any long term cap hits.
It def is another great Grier move.
My question would be though. If there was no fear of him getting cut this year why would he take such a pay cut and void the other 2 large money years? If he was safe, this restructure doesn't happen in my opinion.

And guys here's another example of a few of my positions:
Most restructures involve changing the total amount of contract, not just shifting monies
And
Teams go to players all the time and ask them to take less. It goes both ways

And guys here's another example of a few of my positions:
Most restructures involve changing the total amount of contract, not just shifting monies
And
Teams go to players all the time and ask them to take less. It goes both ways
You can always ask... and the other side can always say, 'no'. There is nothing wrong with asking the question; that has never been the issue.

In this particular case, I very much doubt if we would have cut him. One, we don't have anyone else to play that role, and Two, we just traded for him. That would likely have earned him a year on the team.

My speculation was that McKinney wanted to play the FA game one more time and was willing to bet that he'd have a GREAT year that would allow it. He could see from our dealings with X that we would not give him more money if he tore it up.

You can always ask... and the other side can always say, 'no'. There is nothing wrong with asking the question; that has never been the issue.

In this particular case, I very much doubt if we would have cut him. One, we don't have anyone else to play that role, and Two, we just traded for him. That would likely have earned him a year on the team.

My speculation was that McKinney wanted to play the FA game one more time and was willing to bet that he'd have a GREAT year that would allow it. He could see from our dealings with X that we would not give him more money if he tore it up.
I can't imagine without any chance of being cut he gives up millions. I'm not sure you'll be able to convince me otherwise. Your take on him being ok to take a pay cut with no chance of losing his job in order to prove himself again? Nah, don't see it.

McKinney possibly one of our top RUN Stoppers restructured his contract of 3 years 27.5 mil. 7. 7 in 2021

Now making 3 mil 2021 + 200 thous. incentives and BEING A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!

What are they smoking in our Front office. McKinney free agent next season OMG when we had him for 3 years

Back
Top Bottom