Benching Bush | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benching Bush

A great head coach needs to know who his leaders are and has to get them to buy into the team philosophy. You don't bench your leaders if you believe in them, so Philbins benching of Bush tells you what he thinks of Reggie. If not Reggie as a leader, then who?

I do not like what he did, just cut off our own nose to spite our face. This whole team should be benched.

Absolutely the right move. I would sit him second half as well..
I don't agree. What happened if Thomas had fumbled also? Then only play miller?

I was fine with sending him a message, maybe bench him for a drive. Down big and your offense has only one home run threat... Play that man. He may only get that one big play but its more than the 0 every else will give you. The fumble began the crappy game but was far from the sole reason it was a blow out. Should have benched every other player except hartline.

I wasn't a big fan of it... It's not like Bush pulled a Legadu. The ball was stripped as he was coming down. He should have stayed in the game.

Pathetic coaching. Have faith in your players.

Exactly. You bench one of your most talented players on offense for a mistake?

Its a tough mistake to swallow, especially since it led to a TD. But you need to move on and get back into the game. Instead you bench him. When RT throws a few picks thats cool with you though...we don't see him benched, we don't see Moore come out.

Guess one guys mistakes aren't the same as another on this team.

The thing I dont like about it is that Thomas had a way worse fumbling problem in the beginning of the season and they never really took carries away from him. Bush who has more ability, fumbles and they decide to make a point?

No he didn't, you just remember his fumbles more than Bush because you have a higher perception of Bush and you are critical of Thomas because he's unproven.

Great move by Philbin. Coughed up a ball he had no business fumbling and cost his team 7 points. Take a seat and think about it Reggie. Say what you want but Philbins got balls and I like the cut of his jib.

Although I get this move at the hs/college level I don't see how this motivates a pro to play harder. Reggie probably could have been told to make it up and responded better than the silent treatment.

In one game Philbin has benched Bush, Incog and Tannehill. Whether it was a good thing or not the players certainly know this is Philbin's team, and if they don't adhere to his beliefs he will find people who do. Personally speaking not sure it was the right move.

Worse coaching decision by Philbin this year. The whole team deflated after that. I had been screaming at the TV for like an hour for Bush to go back in. When they finally put him back in he runs for 8 yards and then they never go back to him. WTF?!?

My thoughts too, I normally like most Philbin decisions but today between not going for it on 4th down and Benching Reggie I believe he set the tone for the day.....

I've supported Philbin up to this point in time, but he just lost me with this decision make an example out of Reggie Bush. It reaks of hypocrisy.

If you're gonna bench Bush for a turnover, then why not bench Tannehill after his first INT? Or Sean Smith for countless blown coverages and tackles? Or Jake Long for consistently getting beat off the edge? What about Karlos Dansby for dropping potential pick sixes?

We've all seen Daniel Thomas lose 2 bad fumbles in previous games? Why didn't he sit out the half in those games??

Reggie Bush has made as many positive plays as anyone on the team and deserves more respect than what he was shown today, especially if you aren't going to make an example of other players for making similar or worse mistakes.

Be consistent.

Lastly, it wasn't like Reggie's fumble was the result of being lazy or undisciplined. He didn't hold the ball out with one hand like a loaf of bread ala Dez Bryant. If he had done that, I could understand the decision to send a message a bit more. But fumbles happen. .. Just like INT's, missed tackles, and blown assignments happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
No he didn't, you just remember his fumbles more than Bush because you have a higher perception of Bush and you are critical of Thomas because he's unproven.
Yes he did! at the beginning of the season Thomas fumbles cost us dearly!

Back
Top Bottom