Best all time dolphins in every position. | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best all time dolphins in every position.

Yes, and I explained very well why I did that. I knew exactly how some would get upset and I understand. However, Strock was a beast coming off the bench in relief. As much as I love Bob, and he was great, he was the recipient of a great team, and at QB #2, I want the best passer @coming off the bench” in a relief or injury role. But hey, It’s just my 2 cents here. 😜
No way...Bob Griese was a league MVP...6 time pro bowler...2 time all-pro...and in 1977 when the Dolphins weren’t a great team he led the NFL in touchdown passes and won the Bert Bell award as NFL “Player of the Year”....love Don Strock but he was never on Griese’s level.

No way...Bob Griese was a league MVP...6 time pro bowler...2 time all-pro...and in 1977 when the Dolphins weren’t a great team he led the NFL in touchdown passes and won the Bert Bell award as NFL “Player of the Year”....love Don Strock but he was never on Griese’s level.
Not gona argue against your logic at all, but it was MY list. As I said, I love Bob, but maybe not at coming in for relief. A great starter may not be a great reliever and vise Versa. That was my point. Hey, it was MY list and I was having some good light hearted fun. 👍🏼

Marino, Ricky Williams, Larry Csonka, Mark Clayton, Randy McMichael, Richmond Webb, Larry Little, Dwight Stephenson, Jason Taylor, Cameron Wake, Tim Bowen’s, Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Pat Surtain, Jake Scott, Olindo Mare

Current Dolphins who I think could eventually make the list just for fun: Xavien Howard & Jason Sanders

Is sanders really better than Olindo Mare? Asking for a friend. And anyone that says Wes Welker is wrong, he was good but not great with the Dolphins he was great with the patriots. We had a lot of players who played down here for 1 year. Doesn’t make them a all time great dolphin. Chad Johnson, chris Carter, frank gore, Arian foster

If I was composing a team, I would make the following:

QB - Bob Griese (unpopular choice but i think he is a winner)
RB - Ricky Williams
FB - Larry Csonka
WR - Paul Warfield
WR - Mark Duper
WR - Mark Clayton
LT - Richmond Webb
LG - Bob Kuchenberg
C - Dwight Stephenson
RG - Larry Little
RT - Norm Evans

DE - Cam Wake
DT - Tim Bowens
DT - Bob Baumhower
DE - Jason Taylor
OLB - Nick Buoniconti
MLB - Zach Thomas
OLB - Kim Bokamper
CB - Sam Madison
CB - Xavien Howard
S - Jake Scott
S - Dick Anderson

K - Jason Sanders
P - Reggie Roby
LS - John Denney
R - Ted Ginn Jr
Damn, I was going to post an all time team, but this is almost exactly what I would have posted. I especially like the Baumhower/Bowens combo at DT, and thought I'd be first with that! And 3 war's w/ no TE makes sense to me also. I'd have Marino in there, as much as I loved Griese. But damn, right on.

Big questions. How many other "all time" teams could this one beat? Who are the top 5 in the NFL?

QB - Pat White
RB 1 - Ballage
RB 2- Daniel Thomas
WR - Leonte Carroo
WR - legedu Naanee
WR - Derek Hagan
TE - Michael Egnew
O line - Dallas Thomas

Edge - Dion Jordan
Edge - Charles Harris
LB - Channing Crowder
LB - Philip Wheeler
CB - Jamar Taylor
CB - Jamar Fletcher
DB - Jason Allen
DB - Cameron worrell
Great to see your recognition of the incredible Legadu Naanee. Granted, he didn't get many opportunities but Omar Kelly saw it straight away and he is the undisputed GOAT among the Miami Dolphin reporters/tweeters in recognizing NFL talent and he has never been wrong. Never, ever - just ask him. The thought of combining Legadu with Leonte Carroo (Adam Gase's 3rd round Draft pick in 2016) makes me emotionally erect. Speaking of which, how about a bit of love for Jonathan Martin? How did you forget his contribution to team building?
Note, Channing Crowder doesn't deserve to be on this list. He could actually play

Last edited:
Great to see your recognition of the incredible Legadu Naanee. Granted, he didn't get many opportunities but Omar Kelly saw it straight away and he is the undisputed GOAT among the Miami Dolphin reporters/tweeters in recognizing NFL talent and he has never been wrong. Never, ever. The thought of combining Legadu with Leonte Carroo (Adam Gase's 3rd round Draft pick in 2016) makes me emotionally erect. Speaking of which, how about a bit of love for Jonathan Martin? How did you forget his contribution to team building?
Note, Channing Crowder doesn't deserve to be on this list.
I would say Ritchie Incognito but he is actually a good player lol.

Great to see your recognition of the incredible Legadu Naanee. Granted, he didn't get many opportunities but Omar Kelly saw it straight away and he is the undisputed GOAT among the Miami Dolphin reporters/tweeters in recognizing NFL talent and he has never been wrong. Never, ever - just ask him. The thought of combining Legadu with Leonte Carroo (Adam Gase's 3rd round Draft pick in 2016) makes me emotionally erect. Speaking of which, how about a bit of love for Jonathan Martin? How did you forget his contribution to team building?
Note, Channing Crowder doesn't deserve to be on this list. He could actually play

Lol failure on my part to leave out Jonathan Martin, good call. I totally forgot about him. What is really sad is a lot of those guys I listed were 1st, 2nd and 3 Rd round picks, many that we traded up to get.

1 Steelers
2 Dolphins
3 49ers
4 Raiders
5 Browns( I cannot disrespect Jim Brown )
Nice. Second place! I've never really looked into it. No Cowboys up there?
On a lighter side, how bout them Patriots? Supposedly the greatest dynasty every

Patriots had a great run with Brady, not good until 2000.

This is really, really good. Griese may not be a popular choice, but he won two super bowls and was an ultimate team guy. He did all the little things right, that added up big. I don't think there's ever been anyone better at drawing a team offsides than Bob Griese. Those are things you don't see on a stat sheet, but he stole some important first downs over the years. I don't think any fans would doubt that Marino was more talented, the better player.
I would take Griese over Marino and IMO it's not a tough call. As emphasized earlier in the thread, Bob Griese was a winner. I'm not confident I would ever win anything with Dan Marino. He played the entirety of his career in the perfectly balanced NFL era of 1978 through 2004. That's when the NFL had it right, IMO. I loved the pass defense rules when I was a kid in the late '60s and early '70s. The defensive backs could essentially do anything. But realistically the league made the correct call when they restricted contact in the secondary first in 1974 and then especially in 1978. The game totally changed in 1978. It was forecast when those changes were made and it played out that way. Passer rating and everything related spiked in 1978 and it was hardly a coincidence. That's why I always have to laugh when it is suggested that Dan Marino played in a difficult era.

During those years both modes were available yet Marino amidst extreme greed and ignorance continued to embrace pantyhose passing mode. I have detailed those numbers countless times, like running the ball only 8 times against San Diego in the 1994 playoffs despite leading big the majority of the game. It should be impossible to be out rushed 40-8 given the way that game played out, yet blockhead Dan Marino managed it.

Then after the 2004 playoffs Bill Polian whined about Patriot defensive backs mugging Peyton Manning's receivers in the AFC title game. The league got scared and succumbed to the ridiculous application we have seen from that point forth, coddling the pantyhose passing teams and ruining the great balance from 1978 through 2004. Disgusting.

Besides, I remember Marino's college career very well. All the strategic flaws were glaring there as well. There were several games he absolutely gave away. Not many seem to realize that Dan Marino is 4th on the all-time list of college interceptions with 69. He threw 23 interceptions in each of his final two seasons. And there is only one player preceding or from the same era as Marino who threw more interceptions, his contemporary the lanky gangly Mark Herrmann of Purdue. The other two guys with more interceptions played much later than Marino when the passing game was much more prevalent. Each of the other three guys has at least 100 more college passes than Marino and #1 on the list Timmy Chang of Hawaii threw more than twice as many passes as Marino.

Bob Griese is the type who would immediately grasp the realities of each era and utilize the idea style for each one.

Back
Top Bottom